Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2 Piece wetsuits: Important enough?
Quote | Reply
As many of you regulars know, I own a triathlon bike store. We want to carry all the valid, important triathlon equipment we can afford to stock. That certainly includes wetsuits. Right now we stock QR and Aquaman. It is looking like 2 piece suits, namely T1 and Dos from Desoto, are becoming more and more important. In your opinion, are they important enough for us to carry in addition to (or in lieu of) the above suits? I appreciate your feedback.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Piece wetsuits: Important enough? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I'm planning on making my one-piece wetsuit last for a little while longer, but when I buy a new one it will definitely be a 2-piece. Emilio, Dan, and friends who own one have really convinced me on the merits of the 2-piece, and particularly on the merits of the DeSoto suits.

Ben H

Christian, Husband, Father, Ranger, Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indeed... I think it IS important enough. I tried a T1 wetsuit this year because my primary wetsuit was being repaired. Since that time I have only raced in my T1. My worries about removal time were calmed after my first practice exit.

I wrote a review about the T1 online at:

http://www.triathlete.com/...?man=21&model=42

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions, or comments.

Best regards,

-gc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would put the T1/DOS in stock, at least in leiu of the QR/aquaman if nothing else than variety. Clearly the T1 is in its own class, for better of worse, based on personal opinion. But the 'newness' factor would probably increase sales if notihng else did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've raced in QR wetsuits in the past and other "borrowed" suits from friends. I set aside enough money to pick up a two-piece this season because I'm a rather disproportionate individual. It was the best money I've ever spent on a triathlon purchase. Now I live to swim in the lake. It's the middle of the winter and I miss my wetsuit and getting in the water because it fit so perfectly.

I'd definitely recommend keeping them in stock, or at least opening a line of communication with DeSoto allowing you to order them for your customers - in case they are leery of ordering from DeSoto themselves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My buddy is the Aq distributor around here so maybe shld not be singing praises of the T1. It's all about fit!

Only kind of kidding- I tried on QR/Orca/IM/Xterra before I bought mine, even got to swim in most of them before I made up mind. The T1 fit me, its also very soft compared to some of the others. Taking it off is easy once you make a fool of yourself a couple of times (only once in my case - had entire training group come down to Lakeshore to see my first entry and exit, all waiting for a good laugh)

Very happy with it, but I know of at least one friend who did not like the fit (top 12 women out of water at IMC).
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Piece wetsuits: Important enough? [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imho, the only way she could not like the fit is if she tried on the wrong size. one huge benefit of the T1 is the ability to mix and match tops and bottoms. generally, women will wear one size smaller top, like a 3 bottom and 2 top. either way, tho, man or woman, the ability to fit into the torso and trunk independently of each other makes it hard to get a bad fit.

furthermore, having the two pieces disconnected means you'll never have a roll of rubber around the midsection, or conversely (for long torso'd people) a suit torso that is too short for the wearer (causing the suit to pull on the shoulders when swimming).

i can certainly understand a person choosing a 1pc over a 2pc for a variety of reasons, but i can't imagine fit being one of them. of course that's the benefit of having a good stocking retailer, so there is a selection from which to choose when trying suits on. de soto does NOT have a good base of T1 retailers, and this is evidence, to me, of a lot of dealers who are afraid of stocking anything they have to understand and explain. but that's another story.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Piece wetsuits: Important enough? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup we figured that might have been the case. I think she was in between sizes (we joked that the size which should have fit was built for women with breast!) But you are also dead on about the retailer issue, he almost strangled her trying to get her into the suit, and had to refer to the instruction sheet when dealing with me.

Quote | Reply
there is usually an inverse relationship between the value of a product and the number of gimmicky catch words that they've trademarked. Drop that QR Utra Full with all it's whacky gizmo's and pick up the pure simplicity of the T1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's probably more important to know the following ...Will it be lucrative? Will it be a "loss leader"? Which is what I gather it will be from your post. You've got to define your business within the scope of your knowledge and experience. I have seen many businesses (both multimillion and small) make basicly the same mistake. In their quest to broaden their ability to produce profit, they exceed their ability to service the needs those products demand.

From a business standpoint is the T1 valid and important? I believe you need to ask an additional question. That is, from a business standpoint is within the scope of the needs/wants of your customer base? Finally, is it within the scope of your expertise? Can you repair a wetsuit? For example, do you know the difference between what the T1 provides verses (say) the Piel (both are radical new designs)? Can you sell it? Can you walk the talk - so to speak? There is always a learning curve for any new product - this is an added cost most commonly left out by businesses.

Selling wetsuits are not that much different than selling bikes (as in your case). If you sell bikes but can't fix a bike, you - you're basicly a Walmart. By that, I mean you are a volume seller whose profits are based on price. IMHO, I believe your business model is more of a high markup seller based on image and service. As you can see, adding a wetsuit will need to follow YOUR model - high markup and service (...which includes the ultimate determining factor of service - Knowledge). Can a competitor (i.e.,mail order) do a better job - in both price and knowledge? Know your competitor (lot's of times it is your supplier as well).

Now comes the crucial question (and dad'gum impossible to determine), will spending the money on T1 inventory increase either 1) total volume of sales from any and all product lines or 2) increase profit margins from sell of any or all items you sell. If not, it will be a "loss leader". In which case, call it an advertising expense and not an inventory asset. Many businesses are reluctant to do this (among other things), that's why many small businesses go broke (well, maybe not broke - but they do have a "one time only" reeeally goood sale).

As you can see (and, by your asking for opinion's indicate), adding a product line is not an easy task.

Personally, I THINK! the T1 would add to your product line. I'm just not sure it will necessarily add to your bottom line. That's what is called risk. ...And (I believe I am correct when I say), your in the single most riskiest profession in the world - sole proprietorship.

FWIW Joe Moya

I might note your ng post is good old - market research... you might careful since most that will post their opinion (including mine) are not your local customer base, but may provide general feel of the triathlete market. Also, be equally careful about the source of your inventory. Is it reliable? ... based on what I have experienced, DeSoto is reliable. Products are good. But, you probably already know that (and, most likely everything else I mentioned in this post).
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Piece wetsuits: Important enough? [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very well thought out, rational business strategy! Nicely put.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom - on your website you say

Bikesport carries Quintana Roo and Ironman brand wetsuits.

Is this right? If not, why did you switch the range?

btw - great site

Quote Reply
Re: 2 Piece wetsuits: Important enough? [micradot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tom, i came at this sport (swimming) a complete novice, but a very interested one. to me, looking freshly at the issue, a two piece suit made total sense for swimming, and i never seriously even looked at anything else. i thought " well, duh! my arms are supposed to be out in front of me, wht would i wear a rubber suit which would try to pull them down from my very toes?" i believe the one pice idea will slowly lose ground as more people come in and look at things without knowing the old way. to me, and i could be wrong here - i am just telling you one customer's impression - a shop that doesn't carry two piece suits is like a shop with one brand of bikes, and maybe even no tri bikes at all ...."you don't need that, put a reverse seatpost on if you must and go". there is an appeal to the two piece that is obvious - if you don't have them to try you would lose ground with me as a potential customer right off the bat as a "tri" store - whether i was right or wrong - just sayin.

now, as to why mr desoto did not put a short zipper in the back of his suit top. . . . .why not ? again, "duh!". there is an idea for orca and the rest - slap a short zipper into a two piece top and we can maybe have some competition in the two piece market.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Piece wetsuits: Important enough? [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyway, last summer i had the chance to go to a couple well respected tri-stores while away from town (none nearby). they would have entailed and hour or two drive, and my buddy wanted to go. i elected not to - because the only real thing i wanted to see and TOUCH tri-related was a two piece wetsuit. everything else i needed as a new tri-head i was more or less fine with. had i gone i most diefinitely would have bought SOMETHING, a fuel belt, some socks, who knows maybe i would have ridden a bike and decided i needed it? that has happened before. but again, my buddy had gotten the " uhhhno, we don't carry those - why do want one of THOSE, anyway?" responce on the two piece over the phone from them. i wrote them of as an old school store looking to elitistly dump their stock on us, and went for a ride instead. i bought a T1 online, kept my bike, and still don't have fuelbelt ( i always need socks, too). finally, maybe i am just stupid, but customers are often stupid, as you know. still, i have a visa card and am not afraid to use it, and you would like me in your store. maybe there are others like me (maybe not).
Quote Reply