Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

25 MPH Speed Limit?
Quote | Reply
I was just curious in finding out more information on the 25mph speed limit referred to in the story about the Renn failure at 1/2 IM California (I think that was the race). Is this speed limit imposed due to a dangerous descent? Is it in effect for pros as well as AG? Just curious because I have not had any experience with a speed limit in a race. Thanks.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: 25 MPH Speed Limit? [asutriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a pretty fast descent where a rider died a few years back. This year there was a published no passing and 25 mph rule in effect. The descent was 3/4 of a mile at most. When I came down it, it seemed that the only thing they were watching out for was the no passing rule. There were volunteers there reminding us to slow down, but not enforcing a strict 25 mph limit. There were a few racers on the descent when I came through and we were going between 35 and 40 the whole time. The hill had a left hand turn in it about 2/3 of the way down, and I was actually a bit suprised at hod sharp the turn felt at speed. It certainly didn't look bad at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, I wasn't there and am not personally familiar with the events/circumstances surrounding this issue BUT... My off hand impression of this is that a rule like that is like to be difficult and cumbersome to enforce. I don't like descending. I would have slowed down on my own. I rather go up hill anyday.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the 2000 and 2001 full IMCALs. I am assuming that the new course is more or less a one lap version of the course I did. I hit 52 mph in 2000, and only 47 in 2001 since I knew about it. It's fun and exciting at first, but the left turn at the bottom has a fair bit of pucker factor. There is a guardrail on the right with a sharp dropoff and if you try to cut the apex, there are reflectors down the middle of the road. It doesn't sound like there officials were there with a radar gun, so it sounds like they just wanted to stress the need to be carefull and in control.
Quote Reply
Re: 25 MPH Speed Limit? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is very easy to implement a no passing "go slower" zone. I think the speed limit was wishful thinking.
Quote Reply
Re: 25 MPH Speed Limit? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They did have one of those radar trailers with the big display to let us know how fast we were going. There were about 10 people on the descent ahead of me and they weren't slowing so when we went by the radar it was reading about 40. A few hundred yards from the curve a volunteer was waving at us to slow. Everyone hit the brakes up ahead so I did too and went around the curve at about 25. The guardrail was heavily padded and an ambulance was parked just past the guardrail. The paramedics cheered as we went safely by. I don't think the officials made a big deal out of it and I think the warnings were a good idea. I would not want to get to that curve at 50 mph. Just thinking about that is causing a pucker. I think that was the only descent on the whole course, the rest was up hill and into the wind! :)

paul
Quote Reply
Re: 25 MPH Speed Limit? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I remember correctly, in 2000 (first IM Cal), there was a crash on the curve, but not fatal. That rider was impaled and airlifted out. In 2001, Perry Redina was killed in a crash on the curve. As someone mentioned, it doesn't look that bad, but the sharp turn sneaks up on you.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: 25 MPH Speed Limit? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started towards the back of the waves (48 male). When I got to that descent, there were about 10 of us lined up behind someone actually going 11 MILES PER HOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was very frustrating. But, then it got fun again on the next set of downhills, which were really nice.
Quote Reply