Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

24 weeks out from my first IM....what benchmarks should I be targeting??
Quote | Reply
I have my first IM approaching in just under 24 weeks time. I was curious to see what other people might see as any particular benchmarks at this point in time and in the coming 8-10 weeks, prior to the key build starting, that they should be aiming for training wise leading into their first ironman.
By way of background...only two 70.3's under my belt with a low 4:40s in my last event late 2018. Had a 4 week break and then been consistently training since early this year.
Currently swim approx 12 km/week with one 5000m session each week.
Running 3 times per week with long runs up into the 90-120 min range, did an open half marathon a few weeks back.
Riding 3 times a week but all indoors with long rides on the trainer up to about 2.5 hours (struggle to stay motivated to go longer indoors). Shorter rides only about 75 mins.
Strength sessions 1-2 times per week when can be fitted in between work and family.
I struggle to get many decent long sessions in at the moment due to weather and family commitments, but come end of August this should change.
Any advice appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: 24 weeks out from my first IM....what benchmarks should I be targeting?? [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forget benchmarks. Just do the training you can do.
Quote Reply
Re: 24 weeks out from my first IM....what benchmarks should I be targeting?? [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 24 weeks out the benchmarks you should be comparing to are what you have recently been doing in training. That is, your aim should be a gradual increase in training load however you define it. Be concerned with being better than you were 4 weeks ago, and if you constantly do that you'll have the best IM you can fitness wise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
I have my first IM approaching in just under 24 weeks time.

IMWA?

Have you got a goal time/place in mind.
Last edited by: zedzded: Jun 19, 19 22:51
Quote Reply
Re: 24 weeks out from my first IM....what benchmarks should I be targeting?? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Amnesia wrote:

IMWA?

Yep....aiming for a 10:30....don't know if that is over ambitious or about right....running is my major weakness because of previous injuries (as well as time to try and train with work and family).
Should be able to do a 1:05 swim, aiming for a 5:00-5:10 bike split (previous 2:21 HIM bike split on the same course), marathon will be what it will be but think I can go under 4 for it as well....., maybe faster if I control the bike....
Edit: PS-not aiming to KQ etc, just want to tick this off the bucket list and have a time that reflects a balance between my ability and my work/life chaos!
Last edited by: Amnesia: Jun 20, 19 0:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5:00 bike from a 2:20 half seems a stretch unless you've improved a lot on the bike. You need to keep a lot more for the run than you think. 5mins too hard on the bike will cost you 30mins on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't worry about benchmarks so much as just being consistent with your training.my first ironMan I missed my goal Time by 2 hours or more. The reason being I underestimated how ugly that run gets on the back end. With the amount of time you have left I would say volume is King and just have as much bike and run endurance as humanly possible going in. No matter what anyone here tells you. You will learn more about how to train for that distance when you actually do your first race than any book or coach can tell you.
Quote Reply
Re: 24 weeks out from my first IM....what benchmarks should I be targeting?? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I wouldn't worry about benchmarks so much as just being consistent with your training.my first ironMan I missed my goal Time by 2 hours or more. The reason being I underestimated how ugly that run gets on the back end. With the amount of time you have left I would say volume is King and just have as much bike and run endurance as humanly possible going in. No matter what anyone here tells you. You will learn more about how to train for that distance when you actually do your first race than any book or coach can tell you.

I wish there was a "like" button for replies on here...thanks everyone. Sounds like I am OK where I am at the moment and continue to build volume across the run and bike here on in....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you did a 4:40 half, you have the fitness. What you need to focus on is the adaptation to long distance.
You have to do longer runs/rides, 2.5h ride / 90min run will not cut it. You will walk the second half of the marathon not because of lack of fitness, but because your body is just not used to 10 hour effort (unless you are a genetic freak).
So build up to 2-2.5 hour runs and up to 6 hour rides. It sucks, but can't be avoided
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With a 2.20 you should be going something like 4.45-5.00 for a full, unless you overbiked. Leaving T2 in 6.00-6.15 should give you a good possibility of breaking 10.

Anything else is considered a DNF here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My suggestion is you ride more. Your swimming a lot for what is the shortest part of the race. Your run looks ok but you have to run coming off the bike in full IM is a lot different than a half.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Amnesia wrote:

IMWA?

Yep....aiming for a 10:30....don't know if that is over ambitious or about right....running is my major weakness because of previous injuries (as well as time to try and train with work and family).
Should be able to do a 1:05 swim, aiming for a 5:00-5:10 bike split (previous 2:21 HIM bike split on the same course), marathon will be what it will be but think I can go under 4 for it as well....., maybe faster if I control the bike....
Edit: PS-not aiming to KQ etc, just want to tick this off the bucket list and have a time that reflects a balance between my ability and my work/life chaos!

I'm 4.30s on Busso 70.3 course and did a 10.27 IMWA 2018 and that was with 2 flats and no training program. You should manage 10.30 without too many problems. Bike pacing is key. Everyone goes off like it's an OD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benchmarks are stupid.

except running more than 3x/wk, that's a good one.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply