Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2023 USAT Age Group Nationals Location?
Quote | Reply
Curious if anyone has heard anything. Last I heard a couple months ago they were announcing the location soon, but I haven't seen anything.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 USAT Age Group Nationals Location? [dmagic17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Milwaukee

With a “festival” style that will include youth / junior nationals as part of the weekend.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Sep 22, 22 7:15
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 USAT Age Group Nationals Location? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s kind of a bummer. I know there’s a lot of love for Milwaukee, but I’d love a chance to do a huge race like AG Nats in a different venue.

Are the bidding cities public? And are the bids public?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 USAT Age Group Nationals Location? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always wondered about the process of multisport nationals site selection, but have been too lazy to investigate. I suppose that it might be a goal to move the location around the US so that everyone could periodically have a 'close' event, but I'm not sure if that is a consideration and, if it is, how that is incorporated into the selection process. Hoping that someone might contribute notes on the process.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 USAT Age Group Nationals Location? [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not at all sure about the selection process, or who bid, but here was the RFP:

https://www.teamusa.org/...49FA09E7EC2C6B7E6E48

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The selection is based on RDs who actually want and can handle the race. If people don't apply, then it won't move. They've tried other venues and they've been pretty miserable failures with many athletes. Actually, Milwaukee is about as perfect a venue as one could get with the city embracing it, a very great event setup, inexpensive and plentiful hotels and eateries within walking distance, cheap parking across the street, and close to 2 major airports (ORD and MKE). I wish it was permanent there. West coasters always bitch, but they can't seem to provide a better alternative.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course a lot has to play out for next year by adding more to the venue/schedule but it wouldn’t shock me if Milwaukee didn’t become the semi “permanent” home.

(No insider knowledge just being around this long enough that I think usat wants to kinda go all in on this festival idea and I’m sure signed a multi year contract. West Chester OH I believe was an initial 5 year contract….they stayed 10 years there).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 USAT Age Group Nationals Location? [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Age group nats are a USAT owned event and not open for RD's to bid for like some of the other championships (Long Course Nats, Ultra, Gravel, etc.).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
That’s kind of a bummer. I know there’s a lot of love for Milwaukee, but I’d love a chance to do a huge race like AG Nats in a different venue.

Are the bidding cities public? And are the bids public?

Interestingly, the Williamsburg, VA tourism site has the RFP doc hosted publicly on their website and its ranking in Google results. I can only assume they threw their hat in the ring.

https://www.visitwilliamsburg.com/sites/default/files/RFP_AgeGroup_2023-2024.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Milwaukee

With a “festival” style that will include youth / junior nationals as part of the weekend.

Do you have official confirmation on that?
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 USAT Age Group Nationals Location? [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope it's Milwaukee next year, I wasn't able to go the last few years and really enjoyed the race back in 2014-2015.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://member.usatriathlon.org/events/29330

-Scott
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 USAT Age Group Nationals Location? [WiScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That seems like an automated placeholder. Both the Olympic and Sprint on a Friday?
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 USAT Age Group Nationals Location? [WiScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ooo, interesting. I did not know about this way of searching future events.

Everything is listed Friday for all the events (there is also https://member.usatriathlon.org/events/29122 USA Triathlon Nationals) so I would assume things are spread out over Friday-Sunday.

Looks like they may be adding aquathlon too, which would be cool.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 USAT Age Group Nationals Location? [jwmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still scratching my head how they are going to put together 2 AG non-draft races and 8 junior races over 2-3 days.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Youth and Junior event appears to span Thursday-Sunday (https://member.usatriathlon.org/events/29311).

I really hope they don't consolidate the sprint and Olympic into one day. I really like doing both and it makes the trip more worth it. I'd even entertain doing an aquathlon too if they had it way later in the day Sunday after the sprint.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 USAT Age Group Nationals Location? [jwmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I said in an earlier thread. Usat is putting a ton of pressure on families to travel to this when they added it to the AG program. AG athletes will get the standard Sat / Sun program. Thur is likely going to be a youth course fam day with races Fri-Sat.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 USAT Age Group Nationals Location? [dmagic17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmagic17 wrote:
Curious if anyone has heard anything. Last I heard a couple months ago they were announcing the location soon, but I haven't seen anything.

USAT just announced the dates: August 4-6, 2003 in Milwaukee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
dmagic17 wrote:

USAT just announced the dates: August 4-6, 2003 in Milwaukee.

Awesome. Just booked my hotel!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They've released the complete schedule for the weekend...it's pretty full.

USA Triathlon Nationals Schedule
Last edited by: Uncle Phil: Oct 5, 22 20:59
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 USAT Age Group Nationals Location? [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did I see that right, they are having an OW swim race stand alone?? If so, is it a national championship, is this new??
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 USAT Age Group Nationals Location? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not a national championship race, just a 750m open water swim race that anyone can enter. There are awards and, to be clear, everyone swimming needs to register ($45 entry).
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 USAT Age Group Nationals Location? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah not a championship and also not new. After the swim race is a practice swim over the same distance/course. Open only to those registered for a tri that weekend -- but no entrance fee for the swim.
Quote Reply