Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2023 PTO Race Schedule

Mid January and PTO has yet to release the dates for their 2023 Events. From an AGer perspective, has PTO fumbled the ball with this? Many people are scheduling out their summer of racing, needing to book summer holidays/time off work, and I have to think this will hurt their AG turn out. Heck, IM is sending out emails trying to get me to sign up for next years race in the days leading up to this years race!

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [trican08] [ In reply to ]

Does your username mean you are Canadian?

With the multi-year closure of the park in Edmonton where triathlon has been held in the past, the proposed new course with a river swim seems... unlikely. But maybe they'll pull it off.

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]

Yes, wasn't aware of the closure of the park.. interesting...

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]

Pretty sure DoNorth (PTO Edmonton race organizer) has hopes/plans to make it happen this year with a river swim.

We'll see I guess. River swimming is pretty popular here - BUT, it won't be much of a fitness test with the current boost.

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]

edbikebabe wrote:
Pretty sure DoNorth (PTO Edmonton race organizer) has hopes/plans to make it happen this year with a river swim.

We'll see I guess. River swimming is pretty popular here - BUT, it won't be much of a fitness test with the current boost.

I talked to someone with knowledge of the river course.
The North Sask river in that section can only be swam in the thalweg (the deepest part of the river).
The course would need strongly moored buoys to mark the thalweg or you'll hit bottom, or float right past the ext.
Swim times would be at Olympic record pace or better even for the age groupers.

Absolutely, yes. One reason (among many) that Ironman is so successful in dominating athletes' race schedules is that you can sign up so far in advance, often the day after you race it the prior year (or even earlier) as you point out.

Companies looking to compete with Ironman for entries need to follow suit or they will be scheduled out of people's plans.

It is also probably slightly hurting their professional participation too. I can imagine some pros just saying screw it I'm doing Ironman races if the schedule doesn't come out soon. Perhaps they have some unofficial dates from PTO.
Last edited by: jwmott: Jan 10, 23 11:49

Agree that they should get info out ASAP -- I've got my schedule complete through the end of August. Looking to add 1 or 2 races. Would consider supporting PTO by doing one of their races but am going to decide on things within the next couple of weeks.

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]

dcpinsonn wrote:
Agree that they should get info out ASAP -- I've got my schedule complete through the end of August. Looking to add 1 or 2 races. Would consider supporting PTO by doing one of their races but am going to decide on things within the next couple of weeks.

Hold off if you can. I did US Open last year. Outside of the heat, it was a very well run event. I would prefer it at a different time of the year due to the Texas heat and I think that is the feedback from the pros as well. Many pros have said that they will do PTO races this year with 4 chances to win $100k + Collins (guaranteed $30k appearance $) instead of IM races. Think about Ashley Gentle - $200k for her two wins. How many IM branded races would she have to win to make that?! 20?

I think that PTO has a great opportunity to capitalize on the overall lukewarm reception to the Kona-Nice setup. That being said, they could benefit themselves more by getting their schedule out soon.

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [jwmott] [ In reply to ]

I get the sense from listening to a few different podcasts lately (That Triathlon Life, How They Train) that the pros have some inside knowledge on the schedule. Which is helpful for them but agreed with you all that PTO is dropping the ball here for age group participation. Looking back they released the 2022 schedule around mid January last year, that was a little more understandable for year one but now it appears to be becoming a trend.

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [bjgwoody] [ In reply to ]

Rumor is that the Euro Open is the same weekend as 70.3 St. George. Will be pretty curious to see who goes to which. St. George this year is the highest ever non-WC 70.3 purse at $100k which I'm guessing is enough to keep most Americans/Canadians close to home. That race usually has some big non American names though. Hard to imagine it'll be worth it for a European that has a PTO invite to make the trip to the US unless they're combining it with a full in the states or something.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]

Ben, is a $100k TOTAL purse enough though when a PTO race gives the pro an opportunity to win $100k for winning out of a $1M purse? Seems like those economics would have me leaning towards the PTO.

You'd think it would work that way but I was surprised last year with how many big names skipped some of the PTO races. I suspect that top athletes will have more bonuses for PTO races built in for this year though, which I imagine was part of the reason why IM had significant draw despite smaller purses.

StG 70.3 is less than 4 months away, if you’re right that seems wild to not even have the date announced. I agree with the above that I’m sure the pros have the inside scoop, but the PTO has outwardly said that part of their model is having an AG race, where those AG athletes can then be the spectators for the pro races to enhance their broadcast. If we don’t hear soon I suppose I will just sign up for a 70.3 and watch the PTO events on my laptop.

I was really hoping they'd capitalize on the IM "outrage" and beef up their schedule with some longer course events too. I would favor PTO over IM if they were offering a true 70.3 or long course formats, not a fan of the 100km format... I need all the bike and run I can get to make up for the swim!

I’m also very curious what the AG pricing will be. For those that remember the initial pricing in 2022 for the US Open was on par with a 70.3 for less distance ($400 I think I remember?). They then caved to public opinion and made it ~$200. I believe they said that was a one time thing.

I was at the US Open last year and after living in Texas (Houston if you couldn't guess) for 20 years the heat in September was not a surprise for any "locals". How the organizers ran out of water on the run course on Sunday even with the shortened distance was not a good look but I guess can be put down to first year of race. Overall the weekend was great fun being able to watch the women race on Saturday, swim event, race myself and then watch the men - I would recommend this event to everyone.

Hopefully they put out the schedule soon because this event needs way more people than turned out last year for this to survive as an AG event.

Lionel did say on his Discord server that the pros do know what the dates are but are sworn not to tell and that they will be penalized if they do let the info out. So at least they have the info to plan. My guess would be that if the pros already know, PTO is going to let us know soon.

bjgwoody wrote:
Lionel did say on his Discord server that the pros do know what the dates are but are sworn not to tell and that they will be penalized if they do let the info out. So at least they have the info to plan. My guess would be that if the pros already know, PTO is going to let us know soon.
Only those with invites know I guess, wasn't an email to every pro.

realbdeal wrote:
bjgwoody wrote:
Only those with invites know I guess, wasn't an email to every pro.

PTO has been announcing the official 2022 rankings over the past week or so for both genders. They announced number 3 today. 2 is tomorrow. 1 is Friday. My guess is after that they will announce 2023 dates.

Kind of shitty to tell the pros and not AGs but I guess it’s that’s why called the PTO and not the AGTO

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]

I’m just not sure what the rationale would be to not want the date to be public If they have them already set. Unless of course they’re concerned about a particular issue (Edmonton course mentioned above)

If you're on the PTO mailing list you would have received an email from Dylan w/ tentative dates, way back in November. Assume you did receive that one but were looking for something a bit more concrete than that.....

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]

I receive emails from the PTO, possibly a different mailing list though as I definitely didn’t receive an email with tentative dates..

@BW_Tri wrote:
If you're on the PTO mailing list you would have received an email from Dylan w/ tentative dates, way back in November. Assume you did receive that one but were looking for something a bit more concrete than that.....

Can you share this email? I am on their list and didn’t get it either

Make that another on the PTO mailing list that didn't get one.

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]

I'm pretty sure he's referring to a pro mailing list, not AG

Prev Next