Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2021 Triathlon Tokyo Olympics Official Race Day Thread
Quote | Reply
Interesting vid to kick things off, the experts make their picks...

Last edited by: Jackets: Jul 24, 21 7:53
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Tokyo Olympics Official Race Day Thread [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My predictions..

Mens
The front pack get pulled in on the bike about 10km in, then we get a huge group come out together on the run which has 1st Yee, 2nd Mola and either Luis, Brownlee or Gomez come in for bronze.

Women's
The Spirig train can't manage to pull back the front pack with Duffy, Learmonth, GTB, Kingma (maybe KZ?)

They start the run with just under a minutes lead and GTB outruns Duffy for the Gold, Learmonth possibly bronzes depending if KZ has any form back or Kingma can keep her form going or Spirig can run up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Translation of what Messick said (at 3:40): sorry folks, I haven't really been following short course triathlon.

By the way - we've already got a predictions thread, it's going to be a total mess.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Jul 24, 21 6:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was not sure what Tokyo "Race Day" meant given all the sports on deck (when I opened I thought it may be about road cycling or swimming too). Maybe change title to "Triathlon Race day"?
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Tokyo Olympics Official Race Day Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the road race done and over just as the Games started, it seems there isn't much to discus (other than swimming: all the US team made through to the semis).

Am very glad the men's and women's triathlons are in the afternoon, they might be the only races I can expect to watch live (hate NBC primetime coverage in the evenings - too much fake drama).

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Tokyo Olympics Official Race Day Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I was not sure what Tokyo "Race Day" meant given all the sports on deck (when I opened I thought it may be about road cycling or swimming too). Maybe change title to "Triathlon Race day"?

I didn't think it would be that confusing in a Triathlon forum to be fair!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I didn't think it would be that confusing in a Triathlon forum to be fair!

I see your angle, but the forum has a ton of single sport athletes uninterested in triathlon (or barely interested) and the Olympics and since tri is a side show of a side show of a side show at the Olympics, I thought it may be good to make it clear....plus triathlon has multiple races too (so multiple race days with relays)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you going to add anything constructive to this discussion or just silly criticism? It is quite obvious what this thread is about.

To the OP: such a competitive year this year, really looking forward to it. A year ago I would have said Luis hands down, but not seeing this year. Maybe Yee if they can group the bike. Not sure the Norwegians will even medal despite being serious threats for any 70.3 or LC race.

In the women's race, Duffy is looking a serious contender.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Tokyo Olympics Official Race Day Thread [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No need to make it personal. We will have three days to discuss triathlon. As this is the race day thread I was waiting for race day!!!

At the beginning, the thread was not specific to triathlon. As today was road cycling race day I opened it expecting a discussion about Carapaz, and others. I am quite happy to discuss triathlon too. I am interested in the tactics of the mixed relay in terms who the teams field in which order. It will be fun to discuss that on race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With all the TdF race day threads and the fact that yesterday was the bike race, I also thought this one was about that.

No biggie. No criticism. Dev was just making a suggestion
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Tokyo Olympics Official Race Day Thread [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to get us going for Monday race day, Timothy Carlson has a nice summary of the women's race contenders:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...Favorites__8008.html

Men's article is here

https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Favorites_8007.html

Am I reading things correctly that the races happen on 26 and 27 July at 6:30 am JST, which is 5:30 pm EDT/2:30pm PDT?

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jul 24, 21 17:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Am I reading things correctly that the races happen on 26 and 27 July at 6:30 am JST, which is 5:30 pm EDT/2:30pm PDT?

The times are correct, but they're the previous day EDT/PDT (25th and 26th), just to be sure! The mixed relay is on the 30th, 6:30 pm EDT.

This really is a bit confusing - in Europe, individual events start on the previous day (versus Tokyo local time), but the MTR is on the same day because it's an hour later and so the start is after midnight CET.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Jul 24, 21 21:41
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Tokyo Olympics Official Race Day Thread [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's now race day for the men here in America. Should start 4:30pm CDT if I have that right.

Edited to add how to view:

https://www.nbcolympics.com/...dule/sport/triathlon

You can stream from link above or for regular TV...

Looks like since the races start at 4:30pm and NBC primetime coverage starts at 6pm on Sunday, they will have the finish live possibly (at least some live coverage of last bit of race).

The women will not however as NBC primetime coverage on Monday doesn't start until 7, so anything they show then will be tape delayed. They are going to show the entire womens race on NBCSN later that night.
Last edited by: Sean H: Jul 25, 21 4:10
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Tokyo Olympics Official Race Day Thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USA Network @ 5:30p EST
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Tokyo Olympics Official Race Day Thread [Raw Oyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pontoon draws

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRvaU2LsReG/

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Tokyo Olympics Official Race Day Thread [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
were these randomly drawn? is anyone set up really well or badly with these draws? the swim will be blistering fast.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Triathlon Tokyo Olympics Official Race Day Thread [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg Bennett podcast had all male gold medalists on with stories of their wins and predictions.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Tokyo Olympics Official Race Day Thread [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They want to get the faster swimmers out of the washing machine (middle). Looking forward to this race.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Tokyo Olympics Official Race Day Thread [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did I just hear that the water is 30C?

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Tokyo Olympics Official Race Day Thread [Raw Oyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raw Oyster wrote:
USA Network @ 5:30p EST

Greatly appreciate this tip! Great coverage!

85 degree water temps!!
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Tokyo Olympics Official Race Day Thread [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMFG. Just....fail.

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Tokyo Olympics Official Race Day Thread [Upstaterun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a gong show!!
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Tokyo Olympics Official Race Day Thread [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clusterf***

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Tokyo Olympics Official Race Day Thread [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chaos!!!!

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The starters are dumarses
Quote Reply

Prev Next