Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2021 70.3 WC — Chattanooga vs St. George
Quote | Reply
I’m bummed that LP is not a finalist. It was the runner-up the last time this was in the US.

Chattanooga was great in 2017, but there’s a little been there/done that. At least it is a relatively cheap and accessible place to visit. Good course, but wish we hadn’t had a wetsuit swim.

I’ve never been to St. George, but will be a long trip for many. Obviously a popular venue.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3 WC — Chattanooga vs St. George [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree...Chattanooga is a great IM host city...raced 2 IMs and the WC there and love the town. But STG would be epic. Minus the travel difficulties. I'd vote for STG.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
I’m bummed that LP is not a finalist. It was the runner-up the last time this was in the US.

Chattanooga was great in 2017, but there’s a little been there/done that. At least it is a relatively cheap and accessible place to visit. Good course, but wish we hadn’t had a wetsuit swim.

I’ve never been to St. George, but will be a long trip for many. Obviously a popular venue.

Did I miss an official announcement that these two are finalists for 2021? Can you provide a link?

Edit - never mind. https://www.timesfreepress.com/...hampionships/491024/
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Mar 21, 19 8:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Austria would be even better for 2022. I did the WC in Zell am See and it was fantastic.

https://triathlonworld.com/...pionship-2022-147290
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would bet they're concerned about LP being too 'cold' for a WC at that time frame (Yes, let the snowflake comments about that begin!).

On that note, what's the weather in St. George like in early September?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I don't get the allure of Chattanooga for a WC. I raced there a few years ago and it was fine for a normal race venue, but coming off of Nice this year and NZ next year, Tennessee just falls a bit flat for me...particularly since they just had the WC there a couple years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I I can't knock down Chattanooga at all but I would vote for St. George. The weather in September would be classic St. George 70.3. Dry and HOT. I have done the St. George 70.3 in May four times. It is a beautiful swim, challenging (but not brutal) bike, and an absolutely brutal run.

The heat only makes it more interesting. The location is a visitor's dream. St. George itself is a great little town but on top of that you have Zion's National park right there and Las Vegas about 1.5 hours away.

St. George loves having the race there and the volunteers are typically the same people that have been supporting the St. George Marathon for 40+ years. A very experienced volunteer workforce that makes the event run like clockwork.

I have been running the marathon or the 70.3 every year for the last 10 years and it is my favorite race location. It is totally deserving of hosting the World Championship.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
St George would be great. Weather will be very similar to what it was in Vegas for the years the 70.3 WC was there as its only about 90 minutes away, so hot. The scenery is stunning and the bike/run will be fair if they use the course similar to the regular 70.3. They could definitely make it way harder if they wanted to.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3 WC — Chattanooga vs St. George [TPerkin2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand why they would go back to CHOO. Isn't there enough infrastructure to support many other venues in cool locations like St. George?

Even one of the California 70.3 courses like Oceanside?

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3 WC — Chattanooga vs St. George [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, St. George would be amazing!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3 WC — Chattanooga vs St. George [DKMNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DKMNTRI wrote:
I don't understand why they would go back to CHOO. Isn't there enough infrastructure to support many other venues in cool locations like St. George?

They won't pick them, but like the optics of making it look like an actual competition.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3 WC — Chattanooga vs St. George [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
DKMNTRI wrote:

They won't pick them, but like the optics of making it look like an actual competition.

So you think it's surely going to be CHOO since it worked out well in 2017? That would be disappointing...

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3 WC — Chattanooga vs St. George [DKMNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I'm saying they won't pick CHOO. I'm guessing they just put them in for show - or perhaps looking for a better deal from St George. There are simply too many good venues that have not yet been used to start recycling older ones. The only negative for St George will be the weather. I did the Vegas 70.3 WC in 2012 and the heat on the run was unbelievable. I think I recall reading somewhere that it went up to 100. Sure felt like it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what lame choices imo

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to believe that from a profit-seeking perspective, Chattanooga works very well for WTC. They obviously have a strong history of doing business together. I suspect a big part of this is leveraging venues to get the biggest subsidy, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly! Money talks.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3 WC — Chattanooga vs St. George [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure I get these choices either...

Isn't the point of the rolling location to actually go to different places / continents every year? Why always focus on US-Europe-Aus/NZ? And why even going back to the same event as in 2017? What about Asia and South America? I am sure there must be fantastic and tough courses out there (Bariloche, Taiwan, etc.). And I reckon many people would pay for the travel.

This being said, Utah is probably more fun than Chattanooga

It doesn't get easier, you just get slower
https://mymsracesironman.home.blog/
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3 WC — Chattanooga vs St. George [Kampinou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kampinou wrote:
This being said, Utah is probably more fun than Chattanooga

IDK about that. CHOO served beer at 1000 on Sunday..ask me how I know haha.
UT beer is pretty weak.
St. G likes to jack up hotel rates for events as well.

They could have at least looked at a course in Canada. Vic 70.3 has a decently rolling bike course & awesome run. I agree though, have it roll back to the US every 6th year or so. 2years in the EU, 2yrs in Oceania, 2yrs in NA etc

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since the WTC has gone to two races, male and female, I wonder if they can race on Sunday in Utah? I guess Friday/Saturday is an option too.
I like both st George and Chattanooga.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3 WC — Chattanooga vs St. George [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coeur d’alene would have been cool too. Or Cozumel

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3 WC — Chattanooga vs St. George [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
I would bet they're concerned about LP being too 'cold' for a WC at that time frame (Yes, let the snowflake comments about that begin!).

On that note, what's the weather in St. George like in early September?
They could move the dates to suit the location as they have in Taupo 2020. It could potentially have been too cold they moved it to November.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3 WC — Chattanooga vs St. George [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly, the dates are not fixed to early Sep. If the 70.3 WC goes to Austria in 2022, it will be moved to early July: "The Klagenfurt worlds would be held one week before Ironman Austria, which would put the championship earlier than ever before."

However, what really surprises me is how little buzz the announcement about the 2021 WC is receiving. I saw a couple of posts on Facebook and the response was tepid. Not many people commenting here either. Perhaps it is too far out or maybe the potential for a repeat location isn't getting anyone spun up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know who else would be in contention for 2022?

I don't see the point in coming back to the same countries/venues when Ironman has so many diverse and fantastic races to choose from...not sure this is sticking to the Ironman website description either:
"The world championship is the pinnacle event in the IRONMAN 70.3 calendar and with global rotation that began in 2014, it showcases the best venues IRONMAN has to offer around the world"

It doesn't get easier, you just get slower
https://mymsracesironman.home.blog/
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3 WC — Chattanooga vs St. George [Kampinou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea what's up for 2022, but would suspect that Asia or South America would have to be in the picture by then. The rotation is a big draw for me. I know some people go to the same races again and again, but that's just not me.
Quote Reply