Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen?
Quote | Reply
They are mostly sold out. So we are talking 2000+ people. Can these realistically happen in may or June?
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think "Sold Out" this year and at least the first half of next year might not be what we're used to with prior years. But I don't know.

IMFL this past weekend was listed as sold out (I think) and only 1,000 athletes were there. Gulf Coast 70.3 was listed as Limited Entry Available and there were a little over 300 athletes. That stated, I'm not sure if that was WTC capping entries or what.

I wonder what the field sizes will be next year. Is WTC planning for business as usual with 2,000+ entries or have they capped entries at a smaller number? They have to know they are going to be run into permit approval issues with some areas and 2,000+ isn't going to happen. So what do they do if they have 2,000 registered and the local government says you can only have 1,000?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Nov 10, 20 12:41
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
So what do they do if they have 2,000 registered and the local government says you can only have 1,000?

My guess is that if the local gov't has a reason to limit participants to 1000 then a bunch of people will want to defer and not travel to the race. This is basically what happened this year. For IMAZ70.3 it looks like they have the ability/permit for 1000 people, after all the deferrals (which they allowed) they were still below that number two weeks before the race. About 10 days out they did hit the 1000 limit and closed registration (there were 1000 people listed on the final participant list.) I believe 700ish ended up jumping in the water race morning, so 300 or so people had registered, didn't defer, and didn't show up.

Quote | Reply
Afg53 wrote:
They are mostly sold out. So we are talking 2000+ people. Can these realistically happen in may or June?

I think races will have a solid game plan in place by then, or at least I hope so. If they don’t, it’s a poor reflection on their ability to adapt and adjust.

Races are happening and have been happening for a couple months around me here in Georgia, despite the media predictions. Race directors sat down and came up with plans and are implementing them well. The local tri club just released their 2021 triathlon race schedule as well as partner running company releasing road races.

It’s time to come out of the shadows and get back to living.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
Afg53 wrote:

I think races will have a solid game plan in place by then, or at least I hope so. If they don’t, it’s a poor reflection on their ability to adapt and adjust.

Since race directors cannot control or accurately predict the Covid-19 situation next year, with respect to infection figures, or restrictions/regulations that may be in place, the best they will be able to do is plan to implement controls and make contingency plans. Good planning and adaptation requires recognition of reality and one's ability to influence it.

Parkland wrote:
...Races are happening and have been happening for a couple months around me here in Georgia, despite the media predictions. Race directors sat down and came up with plans and are implementing them well. The local tri club just released their 2021 triathlon race schedule as well as partner running company releasing road races.

It’s time to come out of the shadows and get back to living.

Given the extremely high rate at which Covid-19 is currently spreading in the US, it seems an odd time to be suggesting people are being too cautious, if I understand your tone correctly?

I can manage just fine without conventional races for another season if it's warranted, and it may well be.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Nov 11, 20 0:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is intriguing watching events taking place in the US with 120K cases a day. In Australia we're down to a daily average of single figures nationally, yet races are still only now starting to creep back in, with limited fields. It appears that the US have accepted that they cannot control their cases and are content to live with the pandemic and the consequences.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [Fletch_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m hoping that come January 20th at around noon the USA starts moving in a better direction in regard to a plan to better control the pandemic and its consequences. That’s not meant to be political. It means we will at least have an administration that listens to competent, capable, and respected scientists and doctors.

I have two 70.3s on the calendar in May. I don’t know where my headspace is at with those yet. My other races are in the back half of the year. I’m more clear about doing those. Hopefully.

Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pfizer has released that the vaccine is 90% effective and will be available by December. It will be used on critical patients first then move to general public.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great news if it pans out. This vaccine appears to be very delicate so the logistics behind handling and distributing it will not prove easy. I’m cautiously optimistic we see something by summer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I’m hoping that come January 20th at around noon the USA starts moving in a better direction in regard to a plan to better control the pandemic and its consequences. That’s not meant to be political. It means we will at least have an administration that listens to competent, capable, and respected scientists and doctors.

Take that shit to the other forum..........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a direct reply to another person’s comment so bite me.

Fletch_boy wrote:
It appears that the US have accepted that they cannot control their cases and are content to live with the pandemic and the consequences.

Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

On what basis?

The topic of this thread is dependent on the political response to Covid in the world in general and the country of the event in particular. The US administrations response has been extreme and farcical. A change in administration is surely going to impact the response and thus the impact of Covid on life in the US including triathlon events, which I believe is the topic of the thread.

Your response is stunningly ignorant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Really? We're tired of this shit and the people made it very clear on Election Day. I know there's a few of us who would like to get back to a safe way of life and racing sooner than later.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

On what basis?

The topic of this thread is dependent on the political response to Covid in the world in general and the country of the event in particular. The US administrations response has been extreme and farcical. A change in administration is surely going to impact the response and thus the impact of Covid on life in the US including triathlon events, which I believe is the topic of the thread.

Have you read my signature line?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bite me...hmmm such a wonderful response to someone who asked you to take their political views to the LR. What you said was indeed political as have the people who came to your defense, albeit they are right in saying that the direction that the next administration will take may impact 2021 racing and that is what the OP was inquiring about.

These are the United STATES where much political power is left to the individual states.

No state is being spared from the latest wave, even those that went into more severe lockdowns, Illinois, NY, etc.

Also, let's look at other countries that went into a more serious lockdown than the United States. Italy, Spain, UK, Germany, etc. etc. Have these countries not gone back into targeted lockdowns to attempt to stem the latest wave? What that would mean if Trump had imposed a nationwide lockdown as did most western European countries can only be hypothetically answered, but I think you know what I am implying.

So yes, I believe that 2021's racing season will be impacted by the next administration. I sincerely hope the vaccine comes soon.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
Pfizer has released that the vaccine is 90% effective and will be available by December. It will be used on critical patients first then move to general public.

The Pfizer announcement got me super stoked. It also bodes well for the other vaccines since they’re all targeting the same area of the Pfizer one.

However, they’re only anticipating 50M doses globally this year. Which means 25M people vaccinated.

It’s going to be a logistical nightmare. Especially for the ones that require deep cold storage. I don’t expect the general public to start getting vaccinated until Q2 at earliest. And if it’s a two dose vaccine, then it’s at least a month before you may be immune.

I don’t think any normalcy returns until Q3 into Q4 next year. Though I’d love to be wrong and eat a bunch of crow.

That being said. Every vaccinated person is a broken link in the chain of transmission. So I expect things to improve greatly once the vaccine does roll out.

Which means I suspect there will be plenty of racing in the US in 2021. I personally will be signing up for races starting in May.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

On what basis?

No - I don't care what people have in their signature lines, as it's pretty irrelevant to what's posted. Having now read yours I'm at a loss to see how it changes anything, especially when you've offered the option to interpret as desired.

Are you really trying to use that signature line as a get out of jail free card for ill-judged comments?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

On what basis?

No - I don't care what people have in their signature lines, as it's pretty irrelevant to what's posted. Having now read yours I'm at a loss to see how it changes anything, especially when you've offered the option to interpret as desired.

Are you really trying to use that signature line as a get out of jail free card for ill-judged comments?

Man, since you are too ignorant to figure it out.........my post was made in total jest, geez. Its a play on the frequent statement to take anything exercise related out of the lavender room & bring it here. Maybe I should have used pink......

Anyway, most of the time I just post to increase my count.........

I can't believe I even had to explain that to you.

Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
timr wrote:

The Pfizer announcement got me super stoked. It also bodes well for the other vaccines since they’re all targeting the same area of the Pfizer one.

However, they’re only anticipating 50M doses globally this year. Which means 25M people vaccinated.

It’s going to be a logistical nightmare. Especially for the ones that require deep cold storage. I don’t expect the general public to start getting vaccinated until Q2 at earliest. And if it’s a two dose vaccine, then it’s at least a month before you may be immune.

I don’t think any normalcy returns until Q3 into Q4 next year. Though I’d love to be wrong and eat a bunch of crow.

That being said. Every vaccinated person is a broken link in the chain of transmission. So I expect things to improve greatly once the vaccine does roll out.

Which means I suspect there will be plenty of racing in the US in 2021. I personally will be signing up for races starting in May.
As I understand it the Pfizer announcement does not include any detailed information on expected duration of immunity among other things, presumably because they don't have it. If they do it's bad news as already having that information would suggest the duration is rather short.

It's way too early to be getting too excited about a vaccine as the magic bullet to solve everything. There's a long way to go yet.
I'm not trying to quench any hope, just suggesting we keep our expectations realistic. I remember discussions on this forum back around February to March when plenty people were assuming it would all blow over by summer.... I'll stand by the responses I gave then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I think "Sold Out" this year and at least the first half of next year might not be what we're used to with prior years. But I don't know.

IMFL this past weekend was listed as sold out (I think) and only 1,000 athletes were there. Gulf Coast 70.3 was listed as Limited Entry Available and there were a little over 300 athletes. That stated, I'm not sure if that was WTC capping entries or what.

I wonder what the field sizes will be next year. Is WTC planning for business as usual with 2,000+ entries or have they capped entries at a smaller number? They have to know they are going to be run into permit approval issues with some areas and 2,000+ isn't going to happen. So what do they do if they have 2,000 registered and the local government says you can only have 1,000?

The two races had more than 1700 combined. IMFL had 1354 starters. Chris Nikic was not the last in and finished at #1125. Gulf Coast 70.3 had 383 starters and 323 finishers. IMFL typically attracts a lot of foreign athletes who obviously could not attend given international travel restrictions ... sort of like what happened at IM Cairns this year.

Too early to call 2021, but I think the general rule for North America will be this:

Domestic 70.3s thru Apr 21 are at high risk of canx/postponement
Late spring thru late summer will be a mixed bag - think 50-50 by July with probabilities of occurrence increasing each month after
Fall 2021 races will have high probability of occurrence but international travelers will still be 50-50 at best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

On what basis?

Man, since you are too ignorant to figure it out.........my post was made in total jest, geez. Its a play on the frequent statement to take anything exercise related out of the lavender room & bring it here. Maybe I should have used pink......

Anyway, most of the time I just post to increase my count.........

I can't believe I even had to explain that to you.
And if it wasn't made in jest, how would I know the difference?
There's no figuring out to be done on my part. You said what you meant or you didn't. Your signature line doesn't come into it.
I don't frequent the LR and it would seem I'm not the only one who misinterpreted your hilarious comment.

If you have to explain it, it's not funny......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your seat is too high.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Your seat is too high.
Nah, it's quite the horse but I can handle it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Your seat is too high.

Nah, it's quite the horse but I can handle it.
Funny.....I live on a horse farm. I've got 12 acres & 4 horses currently on the property. How many do you have?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wondering if I'll get my 2020 Traverse City deferral options anytime soon...I bet I don't get that race credit until 2022 at this point!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next