Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2021 - New TT bike
Quote | Reply
Not in any rush to buy a bike in 2020 so will definitely look to purchase in 2021...is there any bike updates coming from any of the big brands?

My shortlist is:
Cervelo P-Series (Camileon Blue). Probably go with 105 version and upgrade wheels separately.

Canyon Speedmax. Best value and could afford Di2 version. Don’t like plain black bikes and the blue decals also don’t do it for me.

Giant Trinity Advanced pro. Also good value but hate the colour option. If there’s a new model in 2021 it could be an option ??

No interest in Quintano Roo.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 - New TT bike [Cona4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is Slow Twitch so we have to suggest you get a bike fit and work out what bikes will fit you nicely before you but one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2018 Trinity and really like it. It's fast and my times over they years on the same courses (similar conditions and watts) in WNY have been quicker on it. I rode an original DA for a few years, then a 2014 Blue Triad SL before moving onto the Giant. The rear brake pads are PIA to change though, so if you are switching between carbon and aluminum tracks frequently, then I would look at other options. That's the only thing I don't like.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
step 1. make sure you fit on the bikes you're looking at. this can not be underlined enough. if you go out and buy a bike and do not properly fit then you're stuck with a bike that you cant comfortably ride.

that being said, my fitter is in love with the P-Series bike. he said its one of the best bikes out (in his opinion right now) as far as bang for the buck goes.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't respond if you don't want to but why no QR? I just bought a PR5 rim so I'm just curious why no interest at all. I also felt limited with my choices in Canada so I only considered Cervelo and QR. Probably should have looked at Trek as well but I didn't want a plain black bike (already have one).

I just took a quick look at the 3 bikes on your shortlist and wow those are extremely different offerings in terms of components. Do you have a preference with things like disc/ rim, wheels, powermeter, Shimano/ SRAM, 11 vs 12 speed? Unless you have no preference in terms of components.

There's also a 2021 model of the Giant on their website. That's quite the colour option!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a Speed Concept, but you are overlooking a great bike when you dismiss QR. Have you seen their new front hydration system?
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 - New TT bike [r-b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the aeria system from Profile Design, but you need the right stem and/ or stem faceplate to attach it.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 - New TT bike [lang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to mention the Giant and Canyon have the equivalent system. Could be put on the Cervelo with the stem (i have it on my rim brake P5). Not a strong reason to get the QR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cona4 wrote:
...is there any bike updates coming from any of the big brands?

When and if Trek ever get around to updating the Speed Concept is probably the big unknown. I can't imagine that Canyon won't have a disc bike out by next year. My guess is that everything new from the big manufacturers is really likely to be disc whether that is what you want or not. I would guess you are seeing about all the rim brake TT/Tri bikes from big manufacturers. I just think the market segment is too small to support both a rim and disc version of even the best selling TT/Tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 - New TT bike [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies.

With regards to the QR, I just can’t get down with how it looks. Very personal taste I know, but I prefer the giant and cervelo and canyon in the looks dept.

Just seen the 2021 Giant trinity advanced pro. Interesting! Very high spec with sram etap and power meter. Will need to see the new colour way in real life before I make a decision on it.
Pricing will also be a factor. Would plan to upgrade wheels to swissside hadrons also.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 - New TT bike [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
step 1. make sure you fit on the bikes you're looking at. this can not be underlined enough. if you go out and buy a bike and do not properly fit then you're stuck with a bike that you cant comfortably ride.

that being said, my fitter is in love with the P-Series bike. he said its one of the best bikes out (in his opinion right now) as far as bang for the buck goes.

Interesting...in comparison the Giant, QR and even the Canyon, the Cervelo seems to be the least attractive in terms of ‘bang for buck’...

If I opt for the Cervelo p-series, I don’t think I can stretch to the Ultegra di2 for $6500. So I would likely go for the 105 version and upgrade wheels (Swiss Hadrons 65/80). That would be about 4700 but I would have 105 (cheap crank and shifters) and the cockpit that I would prob want to upgrade also....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any particular reason why you would get the Hadron wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 - New TT bike [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well made, good aero performance and value for money. Not dead set on any wheels though and would be open to other options....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much are those wheels going to cost you?
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 - New TT bike [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Choose your bike from the bars back (Slowman has written about this on the front page). Don't worry too much about wheels.
The Trinity Advanced has terrible bars compared to the others, the 'good value' evaporates quickly if you can't get your best position (the whole point of a TT bike) or have to buy aftermarket adaptors.
The P-Series has decent bars, pad reach adjustment is a bit coarse but it's not hard to change stems.
Canyon bars have fine adjustment on pads (X & Z) but the extension length is a bit more limited (may have to cut initially then you've only got a couple of cm to play with).

Most people throw money away buying TT bikes because they fixate on the level of componentry or frame. Focus on getting your body tucked out of the wind, then fill in the dots. As mentioned this means bars then frame. Wheels are fairly homogeneous between good brands now and are pretty low on the speed hierarchy.

Note: I designed the bars on the Canyon. They're for a specific purpose which required some tradeoffs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do you live?
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 - New TT bike [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Choose your bike from the bars back (Slowman has written about this on the front page). Don't worry too much about wheels.
The Trinity Advanced has terrible bars compared to the others, the 'good value' evaporates quickly if you can't get your best position (the whole point of a TT bike) or have to buy aftermarket adaptors.
The P-Series has decent bars, pad reach adjustment is a bit coarse but it's not hard to change stems.
Canyon bars have fine adjustment on pads (X & Z) but the extension length is a bit more limited (may have to cut initially then you've only got a couple of cm to play with).

Most people throw money away buying TT bikes because they fixate on the level of componentry or frame. Focus on getting your body tucked out of the wind, then fill in the dots. As mentioned this means bars then frame. Wheels are fairly homogeneous between good brands now and are pretty low on the speed hierarchy.

Note: I designed the bars on the Canyon. They're for a specific purpose which required some tradeoffs.

Thanks for the response. This will be my first TT bike so I’m not quite sure what I want in terms of front end bars? Any tips for figuring out what will work for me?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if buying next year, i would only consider disc brake bikes - future proof.

that would eliminate canyon and the speed concept. the QR would be very high on my list (great value, classic look, many options): https://triallan.com/...tana-roo-prsix-disc/ and also a IA and P3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cona4 wrote:

Thanks for the response. This will be my first TT bike so I’m not quite sure what I want in terms of front end bars? Any tips for figuring out what will work for me?

Ideally you would go to a good fitter first (that means one with a decent fit bike and other tools like motion capture) - there is a list on the site but the list of really good ones is shorter. Maybe share your general location so people can share recommendations for good fitters in your area. Given you're not planning to purchase a bike for a few months that may give you time to travel (if such things are allowed) to see someone.

If you don't have a chance to see a fitter first then you need to get the most adjustable bike possible (QR pops its head up here), or one that takes standard bars so it is easy to modify.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cona4 wrote:
cyclenutnz wrote:

What are your fit numbers?
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 - New TT bike [casper3043] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
casper3043 wrote:
if buying next year, i would only consider disc brake bikes - future proof.

that would eliminate canyon and the speed concept. the QR would be very high on my list (great value, classic look, many options): https://triallan.com/...tana-roo-prsix-disc/ and also a IA and P3.

Canyon is going to present a disc Speedmax soon - late this year or early next year. Not sure about actual availability, though :)

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cona4 wrote:

With regards to the QR, I just can’t get down with how it looks. Very personal taste I know, but I prefer the giant and cervelo and canyon in the looks dept.

I can appreciate that reasoning. I wouldn't even look at a Felt because I just didn't like the looks of it, but with my luck it probably would have turned out to be the best bike for me fit wise. I went back and forth on the looks of the QR for a bit but remembered how much I liked the look of it in person at my first IM. The Speedmax frame just has such a clean and fast look to it though.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 - New TT bike [lang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt IA's look to be 20% off right now. No idea if that means a new model is coming or they are just clearing inventory for 2021 new paint schemes.

blog
Quote Reply