Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2020 Trek Speed Concept
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at new bikes and this one is pretty awesome. I love the sleek aero frame and integrated brakes and clean cabling on the front end. It weighs 19.76lbs in a medium. The black version is around $4,000. It has mechanical shifting, which I'm okay with. It also has rim brakes that work with my Flo 60's.

I only wish it was a little lighter for hilly terrain. Are there any other bikes I should consider. I want aero, integrated and light weight. I'm also intrigued by the Cannondale Slice Ultegra. It is lighter and has disc brakes. The wheels are 35mm Hollow grams which is nice for everyday riding, but not deep 50mm to 60mm for racing. My Flo 60's would be rendered useless, since they are rim brake wheels.

What other bikes would be good choices?
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Trek Speed Concept [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't worry about weight in this context - it's not really relevant for most courses on which you'd use a TT bike.

Aero is (almost) everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do both of those bikes fit you? Find the list of bikes that fit you and your coordinates (assuming you have a good position currently or else you could be making a $4k+ mistake).

That said, the SC is a great bike and has a wide range of fit options. Weight really isn't on the top of the priority list for triathlon... I wouldn't be concerned about it.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Trek SC is a proven great bike. I had both the Gen 1 and 2 models as soon as they came out. You couldn’t go wrong with it.

That stated, the Gen 2 SC will be seven years old next year. Nothing against its performance. The SC is fast and checks all the boxes but it’s still about to be seven years old.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Trek Speed Concept [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good information about the age of the bike, although it seems Trek has made small changes to keep up with the changing market. Do you think they're going to release an update anytime soon say in the next six months?

The GMAN wrote:
The Trek SC is a proven great bike. I had both the Gen 1 and 2 models as soon as they came out. You couldn’t go wrong with it.

That stated, the Gen 2 SC will be seven years old next year. Nothing against its performance. The SC is fast and checks all the boxes but it’s still about to be seven years old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If a new Speed Concept is coming it is a huge secret. Dealers and reps don't know of one.

Agree with SteveJ, if it fits it a great bike for the money. Weight is not too important and no bike is much lighter anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Trek Speed Concept [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One would think that the SC is due. The emonda, domane and madone all have had major upgrades over the last 3 years. Trek seems to have a pattern of one major model line remodel a year. However, the SC is such a small part of the overall sales when you look at how MTB/Cross/Gravel has exploded and road bikes are the bread and butter. Then you factor in the e-bike craze.

I would really like to see a new SC bike to warrant buying a new one otherwise I might have to start looking else where.
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Trek Speed Concept [iliketri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything you say is true, except when you start looking at other bikes nothing is really better.
Maybe there’s just not that much innovation left.
Specialized redesigned the shiv and I have to think no one is buying that bike because it is just so barely any better.
There’s also such an over-abundance of offbrand bikes that triathletes are attracted to, that market for the big guys is not worth spending money on.

Who knows?
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Trek Speed Concept [iliketri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was listening to a podcast where someone in the cycling industry was being interviewed (sorry, can't remember who or the podcast). The guy basically said that he's asked Trek insiders about when they might update the SC, and the answer was that they've looked at it and haven't been able to find a way to make it meaningfully faster. I'm paraphrasing.

As for disc brakes on a triathlon bike, I'll give Trek extra credit if they decided that it isn't the best option to add to a TT bike. I don't want to start a huge debate on the topic because it's been beaten to death, but I'm in the no disc brake camp for triathlon bikes. Nothing against them because I have disc brakes on my mountain bikes and gravel bike, but I don't want them on my tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a 2020 Speed Concept, black, mechanical, $3850 plus tax. It is the best deal in tri bikes today! Fast, comfortable and looks great!
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Trek Speed Concept [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer rim brakes as they're lighter, less prone to rubbing and easily adjustable. It's probably why Trek hasn't jumped on the trend. I'm not sure what they could do to make improve the current bike. It's totally integrated, aero af, and relatively light. I've been looking around and it seems to be the one bike checking all the boxes.

I love the gold black custom paint, but the custom paint is $1,500 more than the stealth black. The black is kind of boring, but spending an extra $1,500 on the paint seems ridiculous.

dktxracer wrote:
I was listening to a podcast where someone in the cycling industry was being interviewed (sorry, can't remember who or the podcast). The guy basically said that he's asked Trek insiders about when they might update the SC, and the answer was that they've looked at it and haven't been able to find a way to make it meaningfully faster. I'm paraphrasing.

As for disc brakes on a triathlon bike, I'll give Trek extra credit if they decided that it isn't the best option to add to a TT bike. I don't want to start a huge debate on the topic because it's been beaten to death, but I'm in the no disc brake camp for triathlon bikes. Nothing against them because I have disc brakes on my mountain bikes and gravel bike, but I don't want them on my tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could have the bike wrapped. It adds a little weight but I doubt it's meaningful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless your going straight up hill weight is meaningless. Aero is way more important and if your only racing straight up hill buy a road bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought of that as a cheaper option. I probably would buy the bike without the wheels ($739.98 savings) and use my Flo 60's. I could decide what to do with a bike wrap or customized paint. The black bike would be around $3,400 without the wheelset.

dktxracer wrote:
You could have the bike wrapped. It adds a little weight but I doubt it's meaningful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The things you will prob see are the new BB standard. Extra storage “in frame” like the are doing with the domane. I would also guess an improved aerobar

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a 2020 SC and somewhat regret not going the Project One route. With project one you get a carbon seat post, the tri specific handle bars, and you can choose your crank length all for the extra 4 or 500 hundred (I forget which now). I feel like there may have been 1 or 2 other things you got with the Project One as well. I didn't realize this until after the fact and now am looking for a carbon seat post and crankset on ebay. With that said, my shop sold me a stock 2020 SC for 3800, and I doubt they would have given me that discount if I went Project One.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the SC is a great bike, have had one for two seasons now, but one thing that I wish I would have considered is that getting fit on this bike is expensive and a pain. You have two seatpost options,and six different stems, that are very expensive if you are at an adjust-ability limit, since they are all specific to the SC. the two shops I went to didn't stock any of this, so I've had to wait a few weeks and a few extra trips to get things sorted. This is going to be an issue with all superbikes, but I was convinced that I needed that cable-free front end, so there is a pretty big trade-off for achieving that.

the speedbox is crap though. Get used to putting electrical tape on it at all times, because that cover will pop off!
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Trek Speed Concept [brianvp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brianvp wrote:
I think the SC is a great bike, have had one for two seasons now, but one thing that I wish I would have considered is that getting fit on this bike is expensive and a pain. You have two seatpost options,and six different stems, that are very expensive if you are at an adjust-ability limit, since they are all specific to the SC. the two shops I went to didn't stock any of this, so I've had to wait a few weeks and a few extra trips to get things sorted. This is going to be an issue with all superbikes, but I was convinced that I needed that cable-free front end, so there is a pretty big trade-off for achieving that.

the speedbox is crap though. Get used to putting electrical tape on it at all times, because that cover will pop off!

I think this is a good lesson in that you shouldn't even mess with a SC unless you have your fit dialed in. Then it's actually super easy if you know your X/Y coordinates. But if you're going to be making tons of tweaks on it, then definitely not the ideal bike. Especially mechanical as that's a new cable job every time you futz with it.
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Trek Speed Concept [brianvp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brianvp wrote:

I must live a charmed life, mine has never come off even on the roughest roads.

As for fit, I went from the 25mm to the 15mm riser which was a pain in the ass (mechanical shifters) but I'm good to go now. I feel super locked in with a pretty good position.

btw I know the owner of this bike, an older guy in his 70's who recently quit the TT races. He was quite successful on it. Nice bike except he has a funky stem (high / near)

https://www.facebook.com/...tem/785280111905099/

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Last edited by: Fuller: Oct 24, 19 17:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to make this same decision in March. I looked at EVERYTHING. I was not that concerned about price, but I was looking at "value". I narrowed it down to a Trek SC and one other bike. I ended up going SC and I have zero regrets. I did Project One, chose my paint, went with electronic shifting and got a few other enhancements. All in all - I love the bike and I plan on keeping it for a long time. I would not be concerned that it is a 6 or 7 year old model. There isnt much that offers more "value". Even if Trek comes out with a new version - I would not be interested for the first few years...so it comes back to a known entity and the value it provides, which, to me, meant that the current SC won out.
Last edited by: JerseyDragon: Oct 24, 19 17:49
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Trek Speed Concept [JerseyDragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also just bought a new Project one frameset, very happy with it. To me it was worth the extra roughly 500 to get a paint color I liked (I happened to like the cheapest option P1 paint), the carbon post, full non-UCI bar.

I built up my bike using parts/wheels from a previous build.

As others mentioned, the trek is also pretty competitive in terms of weight. Way lighter than my previous Felt IA Frd.

I think the only improvement would be a handlebar similar to the tririg one, or the newer cervelo bars, that have the easy to adjust mono-post riser. Otherwise it checks all the boxes - fast, light, great storage, pretty easy to work on, huge dealer network for parts etc.
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Trek Speed Concept [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have DI2 it’s really easy. I’ve changed stems, bars, risers, bearings, ect.

Practice makes perfect.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:

I’ve heard this as well. Long time Speed Concept owner, no complaints, love the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a trek SC, and live in the texas hill country. I climb on that baby all day. great bike. I bought it because of the fit adjustability. rim brakes, and they work just fine, even downhill.
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Trek Speed Concept [NickJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Aren’t all the seatposts carbon ?
Quote Reply

Prev Next