Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2020 Trek Domane Disc
Quote | Reply
Anyone riding one? Looking to get some feedback on one before purchasing.
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Trek Domane Disc [TNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking as well, at the SL6, but also considering emonda SL6.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a dealer. Great bike. It is heavier and not as snappy as a specialized Roubaix, but can accommodate some really beefy tires and rides incredibly smooth. We have sold a bunch of them and people are very satisfied.
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Trek Domane Disc [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. Looking for one bike to rule them all and thought this was a good option
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a 2020 Trek Domane SL6 and have been happy. Set stock wheels up on 38s for light mixed surface rides. Bontrager 3V wheels with 32s for road rides. Comfy and plush either way.
Once the craziness has ended, try to find one to test ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was incredibly impressed with the 2019 Domane (SL 5 and 6) when I was looking to buy a bike last year. The only reason I didn't buy one is that I wanted to use the bike for commuting and carbon just does not play well with heavy locks on a daily basis. I ended up with a custom build alloy which was the correct choice but I do regret it whenever I am late to work or the weather is good an I want to put in some extra miles.

At least in the UK the SL 5 is a ton of bike for the money and the wheels are actually really really nice compared to normal OEM spec.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TNTRI wrote:
Anyone riding one? Looking to get some feedback on one before purchasing.

SLR9 etap AXS rider here. Came from a 2014 Domane 5.9 Di2, though I've a few other bikes for different purposes. Was going to build up a 2020 Di2 S-Works Roubaix, but held off and I am glad I did (mainly because the Trek looks better IMO).

Ferrari red (I like to think) with the deep section Aeolus wheels.

Plusses:

1. Beautiful! OK, it's top of the range, but I want to get out and ride this bike. Everyone who sees this, without exception, comments on the looks. I only take the bike out in the dry weather, and so keep it sparkling.
2. Plush. Very comfy, typical of the Domane. Also super easy for long spells in the drops, more than any other bike.
3. Hidden storage. Not a game changer, but I have my pump and tube in there, and keeps the look clean.
4. Disc brakes. Opinion here, but to me it's a plus.
5. I added blip shifters so I can shift from the bars, convenient.
6. Aero. Versus the previous Domane.

"Opportunities for Improvement"
1. Weight. Not a noticeably light bike for the top of the range. All this technology costs weight as well as money. I took it for a week to the mountains of Spain, and loved going up and down, but still would have liked to have 1kg less weight.
2. Front isospeed. Didn't have this on the earlier Domane, but to be honest I can't tell it exists.
3. In fact I had a build issue with the front isospeed (something came loose in there twice) and as I said I can't even tell it's present and working.) Versus the new Roubaix, it seems much less effective.
4. SRAM etap AXS appeared to shift much slower than Ultegra Di2. Literally looked back to see WTF. Probably just millseconds, and I'm used to it now.
5. Would have liked a more aero handlebar and cable set up
Last edited by: TOMOP: Apr 1, 20 13:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife has the current Domane in SL5 trim and she loves it. She was looking for a comfort, do it all road bike. She already has a tri bike (Cervelo P2).

She / we test rode it against the Roubaix and the Domane was quite a bit smoother in comparison, even up front, which surprised me. The Roubaix is more maneuverable but the Domane is like a cruise missile - just smooth and great for chewing up miles. Its only downside is that it’s a bit heavy, but our area is pan flat so that really isn’t an issue.

I plan to get her a second set of wheels for wide gravel tires, since I already have a gravel bike.
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Trek Domane Disc [TOMOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TOMOP wrote:
4. SRAM etap AXS appeared to shift much slower than Ultegra Di2. Literally looked back to see WTF. Probably just millseconds, and I'm used to it now.
This is noticeable when coming from basically any drivetrain.

The first time I ever rode an eTap bike, it was minutes after riding my 1979 Fuji America, which has a 3x6 arrangement with bar-end friction shifters. The slow eTap shifts annoyed me even then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
I am a dealer. Great bike. It is heavier and not as snappy as a specialized Roubaix, but can accommodate some really beefy tires and rides incredibly smooth. We have sold a bunch of them and people are very satisfied.

When you say "beefy", exactly how "beefy" can they be, 32mm, or even 35mm? I wonder if I could do light gravel in this
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Trek Domane Disc [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
DBF wrote:

When you say "beefy", exactly how "beefy" can they be, 32mm, or even 35mm? I wonder if I could do light gravel in this
Trek rates the Domane SL and SLR framesets for up to 38mm tire clearance.
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Trek Domane Disc [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
dalava wrote:
DBF wrote:

Trek rates the Domane SL and SLR framesets for up to 38mm tire clearance.

Wow... that's awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could definitely do like gravel on it, just understand that your frame will get dinged up aesthetically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
You could definitely do like gravel on it, just understand that your frame will get dinged up aesthetically.

Good point. I guess wrapping it with some protective film should help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked at one but am not a fan of the Isospeed and prefer a more classic frame with larger tire clearance. Shameless plug- take a look at my Norco Section in the classifieds ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have thousands of miles on the 2020 SLR. Rode it at Gravel Worlds and assuming DK happens will ride it there. And Iceland...and all things gravel.

I have the di2 GRX fd. It clears a hair more tire. Slicks or file tires 38 is a non issue on a 21mm rim. Probably 40 easily. It does depend on the tire and how tread pattern sticks out the side.

Mine setup ride ready with xxx aero bar, 5000 road tires and HED v6 is 17.90#.

Contrast to the Madone yes the Domane is more slack but I feel I mostly prefer it. I have ridden both a ton and cannot tease out a measurable difference in speed on the road. The Domane is an unbelievably awesome rig.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently bought a Domane SL5 and a 2nd wheelset to use as my road and gravel bike. I am coming from a Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 and before that an early model Venge. So glad I made the move. It’s a very comfortable bike and just what I was after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been running a tubeless setup with the Bontrager GR1 Team Issue Gravel Tire (40 mm) on my 2020 Domane SL 6 with no issues at all. Even ran it with fenders for a couple months this winter. Chews up any surface you want to throw at.

Shawn Skene
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Trek Domane Disc [Shawn.Skene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For another data point:

On the SLR with Di2 FD the GR1 40 knobs rub the FD....quite badly with the HED 21 internal rim.

I'm mocking up a few different tires and hope to share that info back here as I try to remember. I do believe my current setup with GRX Di2 FD will solve the rub issue with GR1 40mm :)

I did run the GR1 on my 2020 SL6 with 1x in the 240 mile DAMn gravel race last year and it is a lovely / comfortable tire for sure. As of now I'm not doing 1x this year....

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not get a Trek Checkpoint which is a full-on gravel bike and can do anything the Domane can even if slightly less aero. I was able to build mine up at 17lbs 15 ounces including pedals and cages.

Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Trek Domane Disc [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or go with an Emonda to land somewhere in between your bike and a Domane?

Going from race geometry to a Domane, the biggest thing I noticed was the geometry was so much kinder for my aging body. Do know someone that does gravel with their 2019 Domane who works at the local Trek shop.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Trek Domane Disc [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody else have any more info? I'm considering this as well...
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Trek Domane Disc [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2020 SLR7 disc, and the only change I made was to add Bontrager XXX6 wheels and a Varia Radar. Really solid bike.
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Trek Domane Disc [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
I have a 2020 SLR7 disc, and the only change I made was to add Bontrager XXX6 wheels and a Varia Radar. Really solid bike.

Did you consider the Emomda at all. I am torn on the two. I didn't get a chance to ride the emomda, but rode the one you have at the shop. I liked the ride of the domane, but my older specialized Allez from 06 seems much more nimble.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? How many miles do you ride a week/ month.
What other bikes did you consider?
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Trek Domane Disc [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it amusing that you ask for age. What exactly does age have to do with it? I am 61 years old and ride a lot with young fast guys, some of which can't maintain pace. So yeah I am crying age discrimination! LOL
Quote Reply

Prev Next