Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2020 Races, revisited
Quote | Reply
If you consider the decisions being made in Professional sports, it seems clear no one is willing to have mass events before August.
There is a lot of talk about vaccines, but if it even happens, it won’t be until 2021 at the absolute earliest.
It is possible, but not likely that there could be races in September. It is looking most likely Summer 2021.

How does the WTC, and other races, deal with the make ups for so many events? I already have IM St George, and could likely add 70.3 Santa Cruz, 70.3 Memphis and 70.3 WC NZ to the list, all registered and paid for.

Considering the probable debt burden, does the WTC even survive this?
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Races, revisited [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hemorrhaging money no doubt. 2020 the year that wasn’t...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
If you consider the decisions being made in Professional sports, it seems clear no one is willing to have mass events before August.
There is a lot of talk about vaccines, but if it even happens, it won’t be until 2021 at the absolute earliest.
It is possible, but not likely that there could be races in September. It is looking most likely Summer 2021.

How does the WTC, and other races, deal with the make ups for so many events? I already have IM St George, and could likely add 70.3 Santa Cruz, 70.3 Memphis and 70.3 WC NZ to the list, all registered and paid for.

If races resume in early 2021, WTC will survive this. Some of the races in 2020 (till July) were close to sold out, so they are sitting on cash as there are no refunds. Secondly, since there were no races, cost is kept to a minimal. From an accounting perspective, they can't recognize it as revenue so it sits somewhere else .......
However, if this continues till end of 2021, its a different story. They still have to pay marketing and operational staff etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They'll survive (or don't) like any other large corporations during a typical economic crisis.

Large corporations don't use finances like individuals or small businesses, in a sense "profit - good, no profit - bad".

They have a number of solutions like bankruptcy, sale, restructuring, merging, etc, etc.

Solutions can be used even if company is participating in a lot of economic activities. It all depends on concrete individual goals of concrete financial sharks, not on now company looks from outside.
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Races, revisited [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asianzone wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:

If races resume in early 2021, WTC will survive this. Some of the races in 2020 (till July) were close to sold out, so they are sitting on cash as there are no refunds. Secondly, since there were no races, cost is kept to a minimal. From an accounting perspective, they can't recognize it as revenue so it sits somewhere else .......
However, if this continues till end of 2021, its a different story. They still have to pay marketing and operational staff etc

Hey Vinnie,
I think you will see a few of the Asian Ironman's and Ironman Western Oz up and running this year.It only takes one government to start relaxing restrictions before all the rest follow.Now that the Malaysia/Thai border has opened up to limited movement I don't see any stopping Ironman Malaysia from going ahead in six months.Australia just started allowing Qantas and Virgin to start limited flights around the country for essential service employees.I think we might even see Ironman Cairns be held at the new late September date.It is a fluid situation and if second waves of Covid19 hit then it will all get shut down quickly but the push to start "normal life" is a fine line that people will be willing to walk.

The big regional one is the Asian Beach Games on Hainan Island in Nov/Dec which look like they will get approval to go ahead.
https://dailytimes.com.pk/...ch-games-organisers/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was surprised to see an actual postponement date for IM PR70.3. They've picked Sept 6 (*of course, challenging for me personally as I am signed up for Placid 70.3 the next week). Who knows if these races will even happen, but it will certainly create a logjam of fall racing, IF it happens.

Economic impact on IM....who knows...

There will certainly be a lot of athletes going stir-crazy by then. They just might pay even more exorbitant prices later this year.
Last edited by: dtoce: Apr 16, 20 16:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be interested to see if the deal with Advance ever actually closes...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:

Keep in mind there’s a massive difference between mass gatherings like pro sporting events and an Ironman. A fraction of the crowd.
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Races, revisited [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also keep in mind the amount of EMS, police, volunteers etc that is required for a race. There's absolutely no chance they're going to stop picking up COVID patients to guard a blinking yellow light so someone can race their bike.

If any events over 500 people happen in the US in 2020 I'll eat a shoe
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Races, revisited [cassinonorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except in a few cities, the number of available hospital beds is astounding. Crime is down and traffic incidents are down as well. If that trend continues, the end of the summer would be a great time for an IM.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could have IM Wuhan. Seriously, they seem to have stepped on the virus pretty effectively. If they can hold the transmission coefficient below 1, the local problem is solved in a few generations of the infection cycle.

Then fly people in. Test and quarantine people with no antibodies for 14 days. Hold a race to show the world you figured out how to get back to normal-ish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cassinonorth wrote:

Alright look, while I don’t think it is right for WTC to hold any events in 2020 where people fly all over to one place to race, I think the lot of you are assuming that both governments and the WTC will do the right thing. Red states in the US will allow events by August, mainly because those governors think if they ban football, they’ll be voted out. You think the WTC will do the right thing and cancel their event? No, they’ll say they’re taking the appropriate measures and anyone who decides not to take a risk and not show up will eat their own shoes, in this case 3 pairs of vaporfly worth of shoes.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cassinonorth wrote:
Also keep in mind the amount of EMS, police, volunteers etc that is required for a race. There's absolutely no chance they're going to stop picking up COVID patients to guard a blinking yellow light so someone can race their bike.

The last guy to promise to eat a shoe in an online declaration never did. We'll check back on you in January, though I have a feeling you might be safe.

https://www.instagram.com/...igshid=18o5kgoasxbra
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Races, revisited [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vincible wrote:
Except in a few cities, the number of available hospital beds is astounding. Crime is down and traffic incidents are down as well. If that trend continues, the end of the summer would be a great time for an IM.

My hospital census is way down. We have a covid unit that’s half full and our overflow icu that we set aside is empty. Life can’t wait for covid to go away. We will be resuming life with covid still around. The point is to make treatment possible by not bombarding hospitals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
THIS!
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Races, revisited [ejoe156] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully this helps encourage more people to stay/become less fat

https://www.yahoo.com/...sease-190941212.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70.3 Les Sables D’Olonne is cancelled. French Triathlon Association has announced all events cancelled up to 31st July.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Vincible wrote:

My hospital census is way down. We have a covid unit that’s half full and our overflow icu that we set aside is empty. Life can’t wait for covid to go away. We will be resuming life with covid still around. The point is to make treatment possible by not bombarding hospitals.

Bazinga!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a race in 6 weeks (Eagleman)... it is apparently on since there has been absolutely no communication about canceling it.
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Races, revisited [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
cassinonorth wrote:

Alright look, while I don’t think it is right for WTC to hold any events in 2020 where people fly all over to one place to race, I think the lot of you are assuming that both governments and the WTC will do the right thing. Red states in the US will allow events by August, mainly because those governors think if they ban football, they’ll be voted out. You think the WTC will do the right thing and cancel their event? No, they’ll say they’re taking the appropriate measures and anyone who decides not to take a risk and not show up will eat their own shoes, in this case 3 pairs of vaporfly worth of shoes.

I think this prediction will be accurate.
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Races, revisited [Tommann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tommann wrote:
I have a race in 6 weeks (Eagleman)... it is apparently on since there has been absolutely no communication about canceling it.[/quote

it’s annoying. Some sort of communication on this would be great. I’d take a smoke signal.
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Races, revisited [Tommann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tommann wrote:
I have a race in 6 weeks (Eagleman)... it is apparently on since there has been absolutely no communication about canceling it.

Meanwhile the RD is already talking openly with IMMD athletes for their race in September. And she snapped back at the Eagleman athletes who are looking for some guidance with "as you know, there are no updates". BS, there are updates on your end, you're just not telling us.

I don't understand the reticence. Clue us in on options. Update us saying there's no update. Tell us what the guidelines are to having the race go or not.

My speculation is now beyond whether the race will happen, and is shifting to how Eagleman will handle deferrals this close to the race day if it happens, or where they'll punt the race to on the calendar if it doesn't.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Races, revisited [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
Tommann wrote:

Meanwhile the RD is already talking openly with IMMD athletes for their race in September. And she snapped back at the Eagleman athletes who are looking for some guidance with "as you know, there are no updates". BS, there are updates on your end, you're just not telling us.

I don't understand the reticence. Clue us in on options. Update us saying there's no update. Tell us what the guidelines are to having the race go or not.

My speculation is now beyond whether the race will happen, and is shifting to how Eagleman will handle deferrals this close to the race day if it happens, or where they'll punt the race to on the calendar if it doesn't.

Where was the rd commenting on the full? Can you glean anything from the position on the full and apply it to the half?

Why was the rd so terse about questions related to eagleman?
Quote Reply