Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2020: IMTX vs. IMStG...decisions, decisions...
Quote | Reply
So, here's my dilemma: I live in Houston, and race IMTX every year. I am one of the now 11 athletes to have raced IMTX every year. For me, it's a low cost race, as my only expense is race entry. However, I raced IMStG in 2010 and 2012, and loved it. I always said I would go back if it ever came back. Well, now that's a 2020 reality. So, my dilemma is, do I continue to race IMTX simply to keep my race streak going, or do I pass on it, and go back to IMStG???

IMTX: boring course, nasty swim, Hardy Toll road blows, ZERO elevation gain, but family and friends come out for support, go home to own bed after race, not a challenging course.
IMStG: cold-ass swim but clean water, bike course from hell, massive elevation gain, scenery, red-rocks, and Vegas for half a day is fun after the race, very challenging course.

Curious what others' thoughts are on the race streak idea, does it really mean anything to anyone who has or has had a streak? For example, I know that IMCozumel gave free entry to those athletes who had raced it every year for the first 5 years. However, IMTX hasn't done such a thing, at least not yet...

Curious what opinions are out there...

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: 2020: IMTX vs. IMStG...decisions, decisions... [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think if you have to ask yourself whether a race streak means anything, you already have your answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem with a streak is eventually they all blend together for the most part and you lose some of the details of the day. I am sure you remember 2010 and 2012 at StG (I raced those two years as well) very much so. I would say doing the races that excite us and challenge us are much more rewarding and memorable than those that are easy to do or less interesting. From your description of the two races (I have done both as well, and your descriptions are spot on), it seems you have strong preference to the one that means the most from an interest and challenge perspective.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be blunt, who cares about your effing streak at Texas. You should have quit IMTX long ago and moved on. Plus, Texas is owner operated by WTC, they are not going to give you free entry. Do St George and then branch out and experience some variety.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: May 4, 19 13:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that is a really tough decision. Personally, I think your streak is awesome and should be continued if possible. I'm in a somewhat similar position, as I love IMTX and have done the last 6. I live in CA, but still make the trip because I think the course is cool. The swim in the canal is unique, and the run course is great. But I also really want to try IMStG. Especially if it is the old course, and it would be a huge challenge.

If the streak means that much to you, maybe do something crazy and do both :-) Maybe do IMTX as your A race, and then just try to beat 17 hours at IMStG and soak up the entire race at your easy pace. Yeah, that's crazy, but you only live once.
Last edited by: RangersBouncy: May 4, 19 14:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Streaks are for breaking, don’t be a slave to a streak.

Do the race that most excites and challenges you, and there will be plenty of that at St. George.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you can’t top the excitement of your finish line at IMTX this year ;) Go for St George.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just did St. George for the 3rd time in 3 years, 70.3 and will be doing the full next year. The people, the location, the course are all reasons everyone should race this course, either full or 70.3, once in their lifetime. The water this year was not bad at all by the way and you could see under the water for a fair distance. The bike, well, not sure how the full course will play out, but fair to say it will be a true course and the run, well I think we, those who have race St. George, you'll be happy when your done.

If it were me, which its not, I would do St. George!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Man up and do both.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am considering the same two races. Never been to Texas. I have done St. George 70.3 several times.
Weather is unpredictable at both, I think.
In my old age group m65-69, I would guess only one slot at both. Never sure where the great guys will race.
I did Vineman 8 times and was so tired of the same race.
If I were you I would choose St George. Not sure where this So Cal boy will go. I would wait for the course maps to come out before deciding though.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: 2020: IMTX vs. IMStG...decisions, decisions... [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

Man up and do both.

this.

but don't forget about the new Ironman they're adding soon either... announcement coming soon apparently.
Quote Reply
Re: 2020: IMTX vs. IMStG...decisions, decisions... [xcchampion11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many years is "every year"?
But as others said, streaks are ment to be broken! I know that feeling, not from tri but from other hobbies, and once you let go you will feel such a relief and freedom! Depending on your economic situation, I would say it is all about getting out there and trying something new! It keeps it so much more fun and engaging in my opinion!
Quote Reply
Re: 2020: IMTX vs. IMStG...decisions, decisions... [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMTX: Having a fun day with friends and family
IMSG: A human vs The Course (with natural beauty and a harsh reality)
Both legit. Only you can decide.
My 2 cents: The streak is only a distraction.
Last edited by: Wild Horse: May 6, 19 4:45
Quote Reply
Re: 2020: IMTX vs. IMStG...decisions, decisions... [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
The problem with a streak is eventually they all blend together for the most part and you lose some of the details of the day. I am sure you remember 2010 and 2012 at StG (I raced those two years as well) very much so. I would say doing the races that excite us and challenge us are much more rewarding and memorable than those that are easy to do or less interesting. From your description of the two races (I have done both as well, and your descriptions are spot on), it seems you have strong preference to the one that means the most from an interest and challenge perspective.

Jack

This ^

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what you should do, but the idea of IMTX not being the north america champs is appealing to me as a local. Seems like it would be nice to have a smaller more intimate IM in our city. I did Maryland last year and really enjoyed the smaller race compared to IMTX.
Quote Reply
Re: 2020: IMTX vs. IMStG...decisions, decisions... [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be interesting to see how the competition level plays out for slots to Hawaii. (I am not in the mix)

When WTC bumped up the slots at the regional champs it seemed like there was a major bum rush on Texas by the super fast people going for Kona. They knew there were more slots, and it was early enough in the year to give a second go at qualifying if you didn't have the day you were looking to.

I think that this was the first year since the regional champs began that the level of competition finally dropped a touch. A lot of people who could legitimately qualify in the right circumstances realized that Texas had just become nutbar in terms of what it would take because every heavy hitter and their cousin was showing up and putting out 9 hr finishes. This year I moved up about 20 places (48th in M40-44) and I don't think my race really dictated that. I think it was because a lot of fast people skipped it this year.

I am assuming that St.G would be early on in the year as well, so I wonder where the person looking to qualify will roll the dice at. Maybe stay with Texas taking a chance on less slots thinking more people will head over to St.G. Or go with the big slot champ race at St. G.

Probably a lot of overseas people would lean staying at texas due to the ease of travel, strong bikers would maybe opt for StG because of the possibility of being able to bike their plan since I hear the course is lumpy.

Anyhow a lot to be determined but it will be interesting to see. Wouldn't put it out of the question people registering for both, then after the AG bib lists are out (if at the same time) checking out who's were and putting in for the deferral/transfer on the less promising race.
Quote Reply