Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2019 North American SwimRun Ranking and Event Calendar
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 North American SwimRun Ranking and Event Calendar [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the competitive side, triathletes typically contend for the podium at our Ă–dyssey SwimRun races. I'd imagine we'll see triathletes up near the top of these rankings too.

It would be pretty cool to see a Slowtwitcher earn one of the overall titles.

On the non competitive side, it's rare to hear anyone who tries a swimrun say it wasn't the most fun and rewarding endurance challenge they've done all year.

So what's holding more triathletes back from trying it out?
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 North American SwimRun Ranking and Event Calendar [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm super curious about these events but there are two things limiting me:

1) The partner system. I come from a swimming background and my running has gotten better over the years, but most of my training partners are the inverse. The fact that a lot of these events require them to be done in pairs means we can't really be competitive, since one of us is going to be pulling the other. Forget podium, I'd just like to be somewhere close to the front pack.
2) It requires a different/dedicated wetsuit. All the ones close to me are wetsuit swims (Canada), and the bills just never stop with this sport!!!

That being said, there is a short course option in September close to me, which they allow you to do solo, so things might line up, as I can get away without a dedicated wetsuit for swim/run.
If I don't do one this year, I will next year for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 North American SwimRun Ranking and Event Calendar [vijeet88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most swimrun events are now offering an Individual / Solo option. For safety sake, rules state a solo racer needs to carry a floatation buoy with them (like a New Wave Swim Buoy).

Regarding the specific wetsuit....this is not a requirement. But an equipment enhancement. Just like bike technology is always improving in triathlon, so to are the swimrun wetsuits. Zippers in the front vs the back allow for quicker cab up/down, pockets on the suit allow to carry gels, a map, and other mandatory safety equipment, and now many suits even have different neoprene thicknesses and patterns allowing them to actually be very comfortable to run in.

Expensive....compared to running, yes. Compared to triathlon, not even close. For starters, I've traveled to races outside of the country carrying all the swimrun race equipment I need in a carry on bag. Bye bye airline bike fees!
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 North American SwimRun Ranking and Event Calendar [vijeet88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can also race in an old sleeveless suit and cut off the legs. Or an old full suit and cut off arms and legs.

Trying to find a great matching Partner is not easy but rewarding.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 North American SwimRun Ranking and Event Calendar [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with these recommendations. There is a way to do it for sure, and I plan to find a way to make it work.

My point to be made here wasn't excuses, it was simply that there are obstacles (albeit some may consider them small), to get into.
Comparatively my first tri - a sprint - didn't require any new equipment. I already had a road bike, swam in my jammers, which I also biked and ran in. The distances were small enough.
The shortest solo swim/run within 3 hours drive from me is 3150M of swimming and 12.9K of running...

With an already full race calendar this year, one of these will likely be a "C" race for me. Just to tip my toes in the water, and then hopefully do some more dedicated training and fit it into my calendar for next summer.
Quote Reply