Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2019 Felt IA16 Stem/frame question
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,
I just picked up my 2019 Felt IA16 and I noticed that the stem had a gap and wasn't flush to the frame compared to the other photos of the bike that I've seen online (ex. https://feltbicycles.com/...riathlon-bike-carbon OR https://www.riteway-jp.com/...MG_5675-1024x768.jpg)
Did the shop build it incorrectly?
This next part might just be me overthinking, but is this gap bigger than normal between the fork and frame? (2nd image)
Thanks, much appreciated.

Last edited by: 3forcarter: Oct 29, 18 18:17
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Felt IA16 Stem/frame question [3forcarter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the space between fork and frame is normal. The spacer under the stem should not be there.

They probably didn't want to cut the steerer tube when building it. Felt ships them long, which always seemed strange to me. In fact, IA's take an inordinate amount of time to build compared to bikes from other manufacturers. That cuts down on the retailer's margin.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Felt IA16 Stem/frame question [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
I believe the space between fork and frame is normal. The spacer under the stem should not be there.
They probably didn't want to cut the steerer tube when building it. Felt ships them long, which always seemed strange to me. In fact, IA's take an inordinate amount of time to build compared to bikes from other manufacturers. That cuts down on the retailer's margin.

When you say this, do you mean it is built incorrectly and unsafe to ride? Or is it built correctly and it is something that people would leave uncut to essentially act as a spacer?

Thanks
Last edited by: 3forcarter: Oct 29, 18 19:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It appears safe, so no worries there.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same bike and mine has no stem showing, also no gap in fork area. Maybe my bike shop cut it when building it but I'd take it back and have them cut it if you aren't happy with the look. Bike costs a lot of money, they should be willing to fix it for you. There are tons of aero bar spacers to get the correct height , no need to raise the base bar at all. Good luck !
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Felt IA16 Stem/frame question [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:

I have been told this too from my LBS.

The extra long stems are for fit adjustments, bike shops are instructed to cut them to fit (so I am told).

In the OP case, he didn't get a fit so I don't find it his bike shop sold the bike this way.

On another note, Any bike shop could have multiple forks pre-cut in house so they could be easily swapped out.

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply