Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2019 Eagleman 70.3
Quote | Reply
Roll call time!

Water temp looks warm if I'm looking at the right buoy. https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/...dSJXbi94HYEIKRWTerWQ

Any pro tips?
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Eagleman 70.3 [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not doing it this year, but did it last year. It's all about the conditions. If it's hot and humid (as it often is), then it can make things uncomfortable. If it's windy on the bike (as it often is), then the bike can be a challenge. If it's neither of those things, then it's a flat and fast PR course. Last year, it was a little bit warm, but not very windy. Just about everybody I know had a 70.3 PR.

There's really not much to say about the course. The swim is a box without much current. The bike course is famously flat. And the run course just doesn't have much to it either.

Always been a well run race. Hopefully, they'll keep it going in Gerry Boyle's memory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in. The water does look warm. I'm debating going with a wetsuit if they’re optional- anyone have pros and cons on that? I’m not fast enough for awards or Worlds qualifying times and I’m ok with that.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Eagleman 70.3 [ut_maker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ut_maker wrote:
I’m in. The water does look warm. I'm debating going with a wetsuit if they’re optional- anyone have pros and cons on that? I’m not fast enough for awards or Worlds qualifying times and I’m ok with that.

I've always thought wetsuit whenever possible, but I am both a poor swimmer and I run cold. I've done 2 hour swims in 80 degree water with a wetsuit. Others were in just speedos and swim suits and complaining how hot they were. I was fine in a sleeved wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Eagleman 70.3 [ut_maker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be there as well! I'll 100% be in a swimskin (first time racing in one) but I would heavily recommend against swimming in a wetsuit. Coming from some type of a swimming background I might be a little numb to cooler water, but if I swim in a pool warmer than 78 or so I really feel it. I can't imagine doing that in a wetsuit and the water temperature is looking like it'll be around there on race morning at this point.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. This will be my 4th time at EMAN.

I've been tracking the water temp and they've been staying wetsuit legal till all of a sudden they just jumped up! I bought a Roka Swimskin just in case. Of the 4 times I've raced, only once was it not wetsuit legal. If you choose to still wear a wetsuit, I would definitely go sleeveless, and also consider that you may have to start in the back after 2900 athletes. But I'm not sure if this is the case.

For those that haven't done this race before, make sure to count the Transition rows carefully and memorize your rack#. Walk down to the Swim finish and practice where you're routine of going to your Bike. Other than a single pole smack dab in the middle of transition, there are NO Landmarks!! You will come out of the water to endless sea of bikes.

If you're bringing a group of friends or family with you, make sure they bring portable shade. There's also not a lot to do in Marsh Park for spectators so good idea for them to bring some kind of activities to stay busy.

If by a miracle we get a cool, overcast day be very thankful and prepare for a sick 70.3 PR!! But if it's the typical EMAN oven then hydrate, hydrate, hydrate on the Bike and prepare to suffer on the Run. No way around it. They'll be snow cones at Mile 5 though!!
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Eagleman 70.3 [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the wetsuit yay/nay input! What I lack in speed I make up for in confidence, haha... so either way I’ll feel fine- I doubt I’d want to start in the back of the back as well... guess I’ll bring the suit and a skin and see what happens come race morning. See you all there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year's run course had a spot on the way out that was on a path in some trees beside the road. The path was windy but relatively short. Definitely don't push the pace on the windy bit.

Around the halfway mark there's a shaded section (just after the shaved ice last year). The shade is nice but I wish I doubled up on ice at that stop because when you exit the shade back into the sun it's absolutely brutal.

Won't apply to everyone but last year I had a really fast swim letting a few of the first corral worth of swimmers go ahead of me. I had feet all the way and didn't need to sight buoys until the boat ramp. Still had plenty of open road on the bike since I swam past everyone. (Former college swimmer)

If you start at the boat ramp there's a huge antenna that can help with sighting.

Also check all your bolts, my bta bottle rattled loose and I wound up carrying it 15 miles before the next aid station.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Eagleman 70.3 [mdfedderly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all for the tips. Lots of good stuff here!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in! My first 70.3. I'm mentally (and hopefully physically) prepared for a hot, windy day, and will be pleasantly surprised if it's a few degrees cooler than the surface of the sun!

Totally fine if it's a non-wetsuit swim. Just one less thing to deal with, right?!

This is my first taper, so I'm starting to get a little squirrelly, lol.....
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Eagleman 70.3 [Bluefishy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bluefishy wrote:
I'm in! My first 70.3. I'm mentally (and hopefully physically) prepared for a hot, windy day, and will be pleasantly surprised if it's a few degrees cooler than the surface of the sun!

Totally fine if it's a non-wetsuit swim. Just one less thing to deal with, right?!

This is my first taper, so I'm starting to get a little squirrelly, lol.....

Yep, on the taper tantrums!

In my first long-course taper, I convinced myself I had stress fractures over 90% of my body!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Following the NOAA temps, more and more this is looking like a non-wetsuit legal swim. Of course, you can wear a wetsuit but you won't qualify for AG Awards. Only is temps go above 83.8 is everyone forbidden to wear a wetsuit. I'm just glad it looks like only a few isolated showers this week down in Cambridge. I remember the one year transition was like a Woodstock mud field!! We don't need THAT again :) !!

Taper well.

Here's last years 2018 Eagleman thread which also has good info from ST'ers.
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...3_Eagleman_P6581177/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Looks like the weather might even cooperate with us. At the moment it's showing a high of 79, overcast with showers. I'll take that over the usual steam bath!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The run can be HOT, especially once you emerge from the brief shade on Lovers Lane at roughly the halfway point.

Another pro tip: RaR Brewing has a delicious pineapple IPA on tap right now. Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Eagleman 70.3 [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
I'm in. Looks like the weather might even cooperate with us. At the moment it's showing a high of 79, overcast with showers. I'll take that over the usual steam bath!

And that's part of the EMAN trap. Several times the forecast a week out was similar ... and then each day it rises a degree... until it's Friday when it's posted as a high of 85. And then you'll go to Packet Pick-up Saturday and it'll feel every bit 85 degrees. And then Saturday night the hi for Sunday jumps to 89 and out on course the "real feel" temp is 95!!

But we can hope it stays at 79!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea I agree. Same with the rain. I remember last year at Friday check-in talking to the volunteers about how it was like a 90% chance of storms on Sunday. Well no storms came. It was by far the coolest Eagleman I have done but still needed to get ice and water to cool myself down at every aid station. Looking at the forecast this year, I am going to guess it will definitely be a hot day. If we don't get any decent rain on Friday or Saturday then it won't be wetsuit legal either. Need that rain to cool off the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If anyone is suffering from Taper madness and has 40 mins to kill, here's the Facebook video link of the 3 Eagleman Race Director's hi-lighting important info and doing Q&A.

https://www.facebook.com/...os/1362402060575203/

One of the topics they spoke about was how this is one of the largest Eagleman fields to date w/ around 2900 athletes, so their strongly encouraging everyone to use the Shuttle Service.

They also need more volunteers so if you have friends and family members who want to keep busy (as there is literally nothing to do in Marsh Park) they can contact the Volunteer Director.

The RD's also advise to wear a pair of throw-away flip-flops while waiting on the Swim line, and right before the swim entrance they will be collecting them and donating all to charity.

*** Lastly I emailed the RD's a question about wetsuits worn in the event of a non-wetsuit legal swim, and here's the response I received: If the water temperature on race day is above 76.1, anyone who chooses to wear a wetsuit will start at the very end in a separate wave.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a pro start list out?
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Eagleman 70.3 [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.ironman.com/~/media/3bdc29f53ac94d27ad49d3b6aaf463ca/eagleman%2070%203%20start%20list.pdf

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
ut_maker wrote:

I've always thought wetsuit whenever possible, but I am both a poor swimmer and I run cold. I've done 2 hour swims in 80 degree water with a wetsuit. Others were in just speedos and swim suits and complaining how hot they were. I was fine in a sleeved wetsuit.

I’m just like you. I’ve never seen anyone who runs colder than me. I think you don’t swim hard enough. If you swim a little bit faster and harder, you will warm up in a sleeved wetsuit. Do some fast drills in a warm pool and you will know what I’m talking about.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Eagleman 70.3 [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
DJRed wrote:
ut_maker wrote:

I’m just like you. I’ve never seen anyone who runs colder than me. I think you don’t swim hard enough. If you swim a little bit faster and harder, you will warm up in a sleeved wetsuit. Do some fast drills in a warm pool and you will know what I’m talking about.

Oh, I definitely don't swim hard enough! I use the swim to warm up for the bike, which I use to further warm up for the run. That's when the race begins for me. But that's also why I won't ever be in Kona!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Oh, I definitely don't swim hard enough! I use the swim to warm up for the bike, which I use to further warm up for the run. That's when the race begins for me. But that's also why I won't ever be in Kona!

I hate being cold so I swim my ass off to warm up. I set my house to 84 during summer in Texas and oh boy, I feel damn comfortable.
I'm writing this in my cold office with a hoodie on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good news is there's no rain predicted today, Friday or Saturday -- so March Park should be dry to start. No Woodstock mudfest!! Unless of course the weather prediction sticks and it rains ON race Day...? Only time will tell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to local weather station it's not going to Rain Sunday. Rains will stay just south of Cambridge. You can watch the local forecast video here: https://www.instagram.com/adamlongo/?hl=en

The guy in the white shoes/suit combo (Adam Longo) is the local news guy, and he's doing the race as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
According to local weather station it's not going to Rain Sunday. Rains will stay just south of Cambridge. You can watch the local forecast video here: https://www.instagram.com/adamlongo/?hl=en

The guy in the white shoes/suit combo (Adam Longo) is the local news guy, and he's doing the race as well.

Keep the good news coming. All we need is a 10 knot helping current and I'll be set.
Quote Reply

Prev Next