Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2019 December Swim Challenge: Mile Swim Time
Quote | Reply
Inspired by JasoninHalifax's ridiculous November Butterfly Challenge, any one interested a mile (1650 yard/1500 meter) swim challenge for December?

- What is your PR? Doesn't matter if it was a race, SCY, SCM or long course
- What time do you want to hit in the month of December?
- "winner" is the one who meets or exceeds previous PR time by the largest %
- Most equipment is ok: wetsuit, speed suit, speedo, jammers, swim cap, doesn't matter as long as you feel good about the equipment used. No fins or paddles though!
- for kicks, add in age group for the PR and current age group

To make it easier, PM me your PR/AG and Goal time/current AG and I'll keep track.
It would be great if folks shared tips and tricks along the way.

Good luck!
Last edited by: twain: Nov 28, 19 15:33
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 December Swim Challenge: Mile Swim Time [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If we do decide to do this challenge, you either have to open it up all the way, or keep it FINA legal. You want to allow wetsuits in the pool, but not paddles or fins? I'm good with either, but pick one format of either scratch, or anything goes..My guess is a few here could do some real damage with some fins and a kick board, but have no idea how fast that could be. Not my cup of tea as toys go, but whatever floats the boat!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 December Swim Challenge: Mile Swim Time [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
If we do decide to do this challenge, you either have to open it up all the way, or keep it FINA legal. You want to allow wetsuits in the pool, but not paddles or fins? I'm good with either, but pick one format of either scratch, or anything goes..My guess is a few here could do some real damage with some fins and a kick board, but have no idea how fast that could be. Not my cup of tea as toys go, but whatever floats the boat!!!

Let's do this FINA legal only. No toys or rubber suits of any thickness as it becomes hard to compare who is doing what.

If anyone wants, I will personally try both the standard 1500m and also do a a sub category which is the 1500m fly-free as 50fly-100free ten times. After I do that the straight up 1500 free feels easier. The fly free feel like biking in the last third of a 1 hour crit with the yoyo pace, whereas the straight up free feel like riding a straight up 15km bike ITT were you're just trying to even pace it.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 28, 19 17:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m fine if you want to take over the challenges, but so you know, the way I was coming up with them is that they aren’t supposed to be actual events that you’d do in competition. They’re ridiculous stunts that might also have a training benefit.

So, instead of a 1500 challenge (boring) do a 1500/1650 kick for time. With fins or without. Or a 1500 IM. Make it weird...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 December Swim Challenge: Mile Swim Time [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I’m fine if you want to take over the challenges, but so you know, the way I was coming up with them is that they aren’t supposed to be actual events that you’d do in competition. They’re ridiculous stunts that might also have a training benefit.

So, instead of a 1500 challenge (boring) do a 1500/1650 kick for time. With fins or without. Or a 1500 IM. Make it weird...

I have an idea for the future

400IM legs only. Here are the suggested rules

1. No kick board
  2. No use of arms/hands for propulsion or skulling but you can keep hands in front of you in streamline or at your side...just no using for for propulsion (so for free if you put your right hand on top of your head, and left arm on your side then your breathing left the entire way)
  3. Once you get to wall you can do full legal post wall turn until you break surface (so however you use your arms on a normal turn)

I spent around 7 weeks last year doing 100IM's 200IM's and 400IM's legs only doing this type of stuff after I got hit by a bus last year and could not use my right arm.

I actually have stopped doing that lately. I probably should for training.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today was "Long Swim Choice" day at Masters. I opted for 1650y. Went 22:57 (straight up swim, no "toys" or other aids). My PR, set ~ 22 months ago, is 20:53. I was only swim training, then, with the 1650 my targeted A race. I'm doing ~ 1/3rd the volume, now, less focused, and carrying a lot more total fatigue from run and bike base training.

Male, age 50.

Tip: I've found that spearing a little deeper helps keep my hips from dropping when my fitness is a little off and I don't have the sustainable stroke rate or speed (and lift) as I do at my peak. Helps get that weight just a little farther forward.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Dec 1, 19 15:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:
Inspired by JasoninHalifax's ridiculous November Butterfly Challenge, any one interested a mile (1650 yard/1500 meter) swim challenge for December?

- Most equipment is ok: wetsuit, speed suit, speedo, jammers, swim cap, doesn't matter as long as you feel good about the equipment used. No fins or paddles though!

To make it easier, PM me your PR/AG and Goal time/current AG and I'll keep track.

Good luck!

1500 m is short of a mile by approx. 100 m though.

I'm planning to do another 1500 m T/T just before the LCM university pool closes for annual maintenance so I am definitely joining the challenge, hoping that the pool can cool down to below 18°C at that time. I'm male 26 and my current PR is 0:31:03 in September. My target time is 29 minutes. The equipment used is a standard channel swimsuit (one piece of swimsuit, one swim cap, and goggles)
Last edited by: miklcct: Dec 2, 19 0:28
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 December Swim Challenge: Mile Swim Time [miklcct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
miklcct wrote:
twain wrote:

Good luck!

1500 m is short of a mile by approx. 100 m though.

I'm planning to do another 1500 m T/T just before the LCM university pool closes for annual maintenance so I am definitely joining the challenge, hoping that the pool can cool down to below 18°C at that time. I'm male 26 and my current PR is 0:31:03 in September. My target time is 29 minutes. The equipment used is a standard channel swimsuit (one piece of swimsuit, one swim cap, and goggles)

T/T just done today - 0:28:54, just within my target time, pool temperature 16°C.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 December Swim Challenge: Mile Swim Time [miklcct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great job beating your goal! And there are 21 more days left in the month...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:
Great job beating your goal! And there are 21 more days left in the month...
The university pool is going to be closed by the end of this week for annual maintenance so this is my very last chance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok. Sure. My pool will also be closed the last week of the year.

Lifetime PR cannot be achieved under my current regime by any stretch of the imagination.

3 year 1650 PR appears to be 26:22

Goal.... 25 flat? I have no idea. I haven't logged a 1650 at all this year. Just getting back into the swing of it. We'll see.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply