Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I "heard" that they were working on a new bike that wasn't any faster but my source didn't mention the beam part. I think that was an unsubstantiated rumor stemming from the beam bike design study somebody published.

Very possible. That's why I said take my comments with a grain of salt. I know the information I was given was really 3rd or 4th hand if not more.

But it's interesting that I wasn't the only one to hear a new bike was in the works.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
The only thing not as good as the Gen 1 bike is the lack of tilt on the extension. I like a straight extension, and I have the bar tilted as much as possible but would like to get a few more degrees out of it. As far as building the bike I really don't think the new one is easier then the old. The rear brake centering adjustment is a big improvement though.

Reverse the top cradle and pivot cradle and you'll have all the tilt you want.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
can be a project one for a 7.5 like it was in 2014 when it first came out too which is good. Wish I went for the Spartacus one at the time!

I was playing with the Project 1, they definitely have some nice paint schemes available. Too bad the best ones (which allow color choices) add another $1k to the price of the bike. It's also a bummer Trek will rob you blind to upgrade to Ultegra Di2. It costs $1400 upgrade which seems a tad excessive since you can buy the parts from a place like Competitive Cyclist for ~$1000. Not to mention you could sell back the mechanical shifter+FD+RD+brake levers for a hundred bucks or so.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
ridenfish39 wrote:
The only thing not as good as the Gen 1 bike is the lack of tilt on the extension. I like a straight extension, and I have the bar tilted as much as possible but would like to get a few more degrees out of it. As far as building the bike I really don't think the new one is easier then the old. The rear brake centering adjustment is a big improvement though.

What do you mean by ''reverse''?
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
ridenfish39 wrote:

Picture? I'm not totally sure of what you mean.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The part that sits on the mono spacer, the one with the tilt set screw. Flip it 180* so that the tilt adjustment screw is at the front of the bike. You can get more tilt and you can get a bit more reach on the extensions too.

i will try and get a pic when i get home.
Last edited by: MattAune: Jul 6, 17 10:26
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:
The part that sits on the mono spacer, the one with the tilt set screw. Flip it 180* so that the tilt adjustment screw is at the front of the bike. You can get more tilt and you can get a bit more reach on the extensions too.

This. I don't think the bottom plate needs to be rotated.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:

Gotcha, I'm gonna do this when I get home TODAY!!! As a side benefit does it allow you to move the extension a little further forward as well? I can't believe I didn't try this........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me the current speed concept 7.5 colour is a real deal breaker. I hate the blue colour. They even describe it as being grey. Doesn't look grey to me. If they change that for next year to black, they might get at least one extra customer next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes. the real reason I did this was for the extra ~2 cm of extension reach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:
yes. the real reason I did this was for the extra ~2 cm of extension reach.
Wow. This solves two problems for me. I sized down from an XL to a L this year to get as low as possible. The only issue was being maxed out on reach and tilt. I should be even more aero after this. Thanks for the info
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [srshaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
srshaw wrote:
For me the current speed concept 7.5 colour is a real deal breaker. I hate the blue colour. They even describe it as being grey. Doesn't look grey to me. If they change that for next year to black, they might get at least one extra customer next year.

Project one?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aren't they done with H1 Madone? I tried to order one last year and I could not get an H1 unless it was RSL.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:

Agggggh. I love it and want to buy it.

Really smart choice using those in-house brand wheels that people will actually want to keep on it (at the very least for training).

The only thing I don't like about it are those DA shifters. I have them on my Trek and always thought the self-centering SRAM ones were much more clever. That is just a gorgeous machine right off the line though.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, looks a lot better than the current 2017 colors... Also Project One wasn't available on the 7 series and for 2018 it looks like it's an option now.

Hopefully they offer a black frameset only option...
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [aavlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm saving up for a new Madone probably sometime next year having ridden one in Majorca earlier this year. I loved it. Anyhow...

Question: It seems as though the Domane and Emonda have disc brakes. Any chance the Madone comes out with this for 2019? I asked a Trek rep and my very knowledgable Local bike shop guy and they both said that we wouldn't have any idea even if they were because they always fudge the name of the bike when going through things with the UCI (you will have to forgive me if I messed that up, it was a few days ago now). Anyhow, has anybody here heard anything?

Edit:

Question: Will you eventually be able to customize the 9.5?

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Last edited by: drm437: Jul 6, 17 16:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:

Done. Got a bit more tilt and a nice bit of extra reach. Plus, it makes more sense to me that the little set screw that adjusts tilt is up front. It'll act as a "stop" and hopefully keep a bit of stress off the two bolts that tighten the extension to the base bar.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drm437 wrote:
I'm saving up for a new Madone probably sometime next year having ridden one in Majorca earlier this year. I loved it. Anyhow...

Question: It seems as though the Domane and Emonda have disc brakes. Any chance the Madone comes out with this for 2019? I asked a Trek rep and my very knowledgable Local bike shop guy and they both said that we wouldn't have any idea even if they were because they always fudge the name of the bike when going through things with the UCI (you will have to forgive me if I messed that up, it was a few days ago now). Anyhow, has anybody here heard anything?

Edit:

I noticed that the 2018 bike have a Project 1 link on the web page while the 2017 model year bikes don't.. Maybe they will consolidate the 2018 Madone line like the SC and you will access all the options through Project 1.

As far as discs are concerned. Trek kinda made a big deal about not wanting to disc on the Madone. Maybe by 2019, but I can also see them deciding that anyone who is die hard aero enough to want a Madone is going to be a disc skeptic or possibly that they don't want to do a major redwing of a bike they don't sell a lot of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
MattAune wrote:

Done. Got a bit more tilt and a nice bit of extra reach. Plus, it makes more sense to me that the little set screw that adjusts tilt is up front. It'll act as a "stop" and hopefully keep a bit of stress off the two bolts that tighten the extension to the base bar.

Just as an aside- when I unscrew the two bolts which allow for reach (and tilt) it will tilt fine but actually won't move forward and I have plenty of room to move forward. To move that monobar forward do those 't' nuts need to be completely undone and not just loosened? There is something stopping the bar moving forward and back despite the loose t nuts and set screw out

Looks like they have gone back to circa 2014 when you could project one a 7.5 which is awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^this. They couldn't justify the R&D. They were never going to see the ROI so they scrapped it and went with Road and MTB. The SC is just too good already.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
drm437 wrote:

Edit:

I noticed that the 2018 bike have a Project 1 link on the web page while the 2017 model year bikes don't.. Maybe they will consolidate the 2018 Madone line like the SC and you will access all the options through Project 1.

As far as discs are concerned. Trek kinda made a big deal about not wanting to disc on the Madone. Maybe by 2019, but I can also see them deciding that anyone who is die hard aero enough to want a Madone is going to be a disc skeptic or possibly that they don't want to do a major redwing of a bike they don't sell a lot of.

Thanks. I'm about 90/10 Madone/Domane. A key factor is I've ridden the Madone, but my LBS could set up a Domane if I asked. The brakes worked fine on the Madone, but having discs would provide extra piece of mind on descents. Another key factor is that this will be the last bike I buy for a while so I need to think it through...but I got time.

I noticed I could P1 the 9 for 2018 and 9.5 from 2017. I guess we will see!

Thanks again.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Made the mistake of taking those t nuts right off- that took me forever to put them back on ha ing to take the whole lot apart on the front to get to them
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
ridenfish39 wrote:
MattAune wrote:

Just as an aside- when I unscrew the two bolts which allow for reach (and tilt) it will tilt fine but actually won't move forward and I have plenty of room to move forward. To move that monobar forward do those 't' nuts need to be completely undone and not just loosened? There is something stopping the bar moving forward and back despite the loose t nuts and set screw out

Looks like they have gone back to circa 2014 when you could project one a 7.5 which is awesome.

The slot in the extension is just really tight. I could never get it to slide without taking the whole thing apart, pushing the piece out the the slot in the extension and pressing it back in where I wanted it. I think the theory is that the extension should slide, but the reality on my setup is that the fit was to snug to make it work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The stack and reach numbers listed for the Madone are whack. 55cm reach for a 52cm H2 fit? Riiight.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [srshaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks worse in person!!! My bikes are stored in my living room and I can't imagine myself staring at that everyday.

Is it blue / grey? It looks grey to me.

srshaw wrote:
Quote Reply

Prev Next