Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2018 Lake Placid Bike Course
Quote | Reply
Headed up to LP this weekend to train. Did Raleigh 70.3 in the heat a couple weeks ago. Looking forward to my first full in a short five weeks!

Anyone have a Strava or Map My Ride route of the ~new~ Lake Placid bike course? Would love to load it up to my Wahoo. Also, any LP intel would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Bill
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Lake Placid Bike Course [w3bradley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some great intel here from a recent thread, especially the post towards the end referencing Gordo Byrn's write-up of how best to approach the course. It may have been originally written about ~15 years ago but still holds true where they have gone back to the original course and the Haselton out/back: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ke%20placid#p6640411

From my own experience having raced there a few times and done multiple training rides on the course, best advice is to take it easy on the first loop so as not to burn too many matches the second time around. The climb early on just after the ski jump is key also where people tend to mash their way up it where they are still all hyped up from being done with the swim. Best approach is to sit back and get a good spin going.

It's a great race, enjoy it!

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PS - they just added a bonus out and back into the Whiteface parking areas, I believe yesterday ...as if there wasn't already enough climbing.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Lake Placid Bike Course [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
PS - they just added a bonus out and back into the Whiteface parking areas, I believe yesterday ...as if there wasn't already enough climbing.

Don't worry! It is a flat section they added for recovery in between climbs ;-)
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Lake Placid Bike Course [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing. Thanks so much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
w3bradley wrote:
Headed up to LP this weekend to train. Did Raleigh 70.3 in the heat a couple weeks ago. Looking forward to my first full in a short five weeks!

Anyone have a Strava or Map My Ride route of the ~new~ Lake Placid bike course? Would love to load it up to my Wahoo. Also, any LP intel would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Bill

I have done IMLP 11 times and ridden the course (older version but mainly the same terrain) around 40 times outside of racing during several camps that i organized. You can read everything you need to know with this article written in 2013:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...acid_guide_3785.html
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Lake Placid Bike Course [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All these IMLP are giving me FOMO.

A bit too late to the dance, but planning on LP in 2019

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Lake Placid Bike Course [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sgy wrote:
ninagski wrote:

Don't worry! It is a flat section they added for recovery in between climbs ;-)
Sam

So I just rode this little (maybe 1.5 mile) out and back today. Not too bad....definitely not flat....descend to parking area, punchy climb out a side road, then reverse. Climb back to the main road is a little worse but fairly short......
Quote Reply