Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2018 Ironman 70.3 World championship - Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa
Quote | Reply
Hey,

I was looking for any information about the race, but couldn't find any. Does any of you know if the event will take a place in similar locations to the Ironman South Africa, which means walking distance from Boardwalk hotel? What about the course - will it be on the same course as the full IM?

Any information would be more then appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Ironman 70.3 World championship - Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa [nobel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not much information out there yet. I have heard that the Boardwalk will be the host hotel just like for IM South Africa.

As far as the course, remember they didn't release the Chatt course until 2 months ago. That being said IMSA is a double loop bike and 4 loop run, so they could very easily use the same course.

The Youtube video they initially released show the regular IMSA course and the Boardwalk Hotel, but I don't think that means much. Doesn't matter too much to me, though, I'm pretty excited to be going.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Ironman 70.3 World championship - Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Thanks for your input!

I am pretty pumped too. Looking for a hotel, that will not drain all of my funds for the next season :)

Hope to see you there!
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Ironman 70.3 World championship - Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa [nobel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Yes it will in all likelihood take place on a very similar course to the full IM event.

You can't go wrong with the Boardwalk hotel...it will certainly be close to the action
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nobel wrote:
Awesome! Thanks for your input!

I am pretty pumped too. Looking for a hotel, that will not drain all of my funds for the next season :)

Hope to see you there!

Having done that race three times, my preference is either do a airbnb or a guest house, just easier for cooking, more space, have a proper fridge etc. Also feel its better value but PE is generally quite affordable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will try to contact the RD and ask if they are using a single loop of the latest bike or taking some side detours for a harder ride. There is also the 2015 course that had 900m of vertical and definitely more climbing and quite wind exposed.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Ironman 70.3 World championship - Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I will try to contact the RD and ask if they are using a single loop of the latest bike or taking some side detours for a harder ride. There is also the 2015 course that had 900m of vertical and definitely more climbing and quite wind exposed.

Let us know once you get any answer! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nobel wrote:
Hey,

I was looking for any information about the race, but couldn't find any. Does any of you know if the event will take a place in similar locations to the Ironman South Africa, which means walking distance from Boardwalk hotel? What about the course - will it be on the same course as the full IM?

Any information would be more then appreciated!

In case anyone is interested the event website seems to be kind of up now, at the very least, they have a list of qualifying events.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/organizations/2018-ironman-70.3-world-championship/register/2018-qualifying-events.aspx#axzz4wLwdpzQp

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked into it and all the hotels near the race venue have a minimum 8 night requirement. Decided to pass on going to this race unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IMSA this year and will be going back for the 70.3. I had assumed they would just use the same course (shorten the swim, 1 loop of the bike and 2 loops of the run) but I'm on a facebook group for this race and a PE local says there are RUMORS they move the start slightly down the street to Kings Beach. Too early to tell I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Ironman 70.3 World championship - Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa [peted] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peted wrote:
I looked into it and all the hotels near the race venue have a minimum 8 night requirement. Decided to pass on going to this race unfortunately.

You can do an airbnb, alot of us did this for IMSA, its worth the trip if you haven't done it before!!! Stunning location....
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Ironman 70.3 World championship - Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
In case anyone is interested the event website seems to be kind of up now, at the very least, they have a list of qualifying events.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/organizations/2018-ironman-70.3-world-championship/register/2018-qualifying-events.aspx#axzz4wLwdpzQp

Interesting the main page says the "event expects to attract over 6,000 athletes", but the qualifying events only have a total of 3,975 slots listed. So it's either marketing BS, or more events or a crap-ton of charity/sponsorship/"my cousin works for WTC" type slots.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Ironman 70.3 World championship - Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
hadukla wrote:

Interesting the main page says the "event expects to attract over 6,000 athletes", but the qualifying events only have a total of 3,975 slots listed. So it's either marketing BS, or more events or a crap-ton of charity/sponsorship/"my cousin works for WTC" type slots.

Sadly, the latter, I'm sure. But I do wonder if they'll expand that program they did for the women using AWA points. Maybe for men too... and it goes on and on?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Ironman 70.3 World championship - Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I did IMSA this year and will be going back for the 70.3. I had assumed they would just use the same course (shorten the swim, 1 loop of the bike and 2 loops of the run) but I'm on a facebook group for this race and a PE local says there are RUMORS they move the start slightly down the street to Kings Beach. Too early to tell I guess.

Any more info on this yet ??
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Ironman 70.3 World championship - Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa [cassidyfit1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not definitive but some folks on the 2018 70.3 WC on FB are indicating a move down the road to Kings Beach.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Ironman 70.3 World championship - Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Not definitive but some folks on the 2018 70.3 WC on FB are indicating a move down the road to Kings Beach.

Yes...I was just reading all that today !
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Ironman 70.3 World championship - Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa [cassidyfit1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that would mean I am about 1 mile away instead of a 1/2 mile away. I hope it doesn't shift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Yeah, that would mean I am about 1 mile away instead of a 1/2 mile away. I hope it doesn't shift.

Blah ! Which hotel did you pick ??
I’m sitting here right now bouncing between Tripadvisor, Expedia, and the Ironman website itself and I’m getting three different rates on each different website..... and of course WTC has scooped up block of rooms at a bunch of hotels, so some of them say sold out, but ARE available on the Ironman website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm at the Protea Marine right on Marine Drive. I stayed there for IMSA earlier this year and really liked the hotel and location.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cassidyfit1 wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Yes...I was just reading all that today !

I highly doubt they will move the swim, as the only viable position for Transition and the bike racks is at the current location. That said, they could move the start of the swim to Kings beach and have the finish in the normal place (ie a point to point swim), but logistically it will be easier keeping start and finish all in one place right by the race village, so I think unlikely.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by ironjohnb [ In reply to ]
Re: 2018 Ironman 70.3 World championship - Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa [ironjohnb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironjohnb wrote:
It looks if the town is all sold out, crazy but that’s the way it goes. If anyone here’s anything about accommodation please let us know. Travelling from Alberta, Canada. We’re on the cancellation list so far at one property. Cheers!

I'm guessing the tour people bought up the hotel space. You might want to check with Deepak Patel at Premium Plus Sports or Ken Glah. Ken gets great reviews and I've used Deepak and he is exceptional.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Ironman 70.3 World championship - Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
I'm guessing the tour people bought up the hotel space.

Them and Ironman. I got into the Boardwalk Hotel through African Travel Inc. (also booked a safari and the following weekend in Cape Town). Gonna be a good time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
I'm guessing the tour people bought up the hotel space.

Them and Ironman. I got into the Boardwalk Hotel through African Travel Inc. (also booked a safari and the following weekend in Cape Town). Gonna be a good time.

My gf did a safari last year in Kruger National Park and said it was amazing. Plus the wine tours outside Capetown are great, and very inexpensive. Be sure to have some great Pinotage!
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Ironman 70.3 World championship - Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
My gf did a safari last year in Kruger National Park and said it was amazing. Plus the wine tours outside Capetown are great, and very inexpensive. Be sure to have some great Pinotage!

We're going to Shamwari Game Reserve, closer to Port Elizabeth, and not in the malaria area like Kruger. They say Kruger is the best, but that would be another flight as well.

We have an entire day in Cape Town devoted to wine tours.

Quote Reply

Prev Next