Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2018 Duathlon Championships - April 7-8 Greenville SC
Quote | Reply

Yes, I know this is a triathlon forum but for us non-swimmers, USAT has announced that the 2018 Duathlon Championships and Worlds Qualifer are the weekend of April 7-8 in Greenville SC. Unlike the last two races in Bend, the DL Sprint race is Saturday and the Standard and non-DL Sprint races are Sunday.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Duathlon Championships - April 7-8 Greenville SC [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know they were concerned about the date since there was a chance of bumping up too close to the World Championships in Odense. The April date will leave a three month gap, so that won't be a direct issue.

No course announcements, but they seem to have a venue in mind from the press release. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm thinking this will be a largest Duathlon Nationals in a long time since it will be on the East Coast and have more Team USA spots open.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Duathlon Championships - April 7-8 Greenville SC [Desert Tortoise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are doing a trial run race on the course(s) in November. As far as I know, these are pretty much the courses barring any roadwork or other changes.

It's a great area for running and cycling. I'm heading up in August to recon the courses.

http://www.setupevents.com/?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=3056
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Duathlon Championships - April 7-8 Greenville SC [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
2018 Duathlon Championships and Worlds Qualifer are the weekend of April 7-8 in Greenville SC.

Bummer. Same weekend as Ironman Florida 70.3, their Tri-Club Championship.

Will this be a 2 year run in Greenville, like it was in Bend? Maybe in 2019.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Duathlon Championships - April 7-8 Greenville SC [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
HandHeartCrown wrote:
2018 Duathlon Championships and Worlds Qualifer are the weekend of April 7-8 in Greenville SC.

Yep, and I am already registered for the FL70.3.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Duathlon Championships - April 7-8 Greenville SC [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

Yep, and I am already registered for the FL70.3.

Me's too.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Duathlon Championships - April 7-8 Greenville SC [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
HandHeartCrown wrote:

Yes, that's my understanding of the plan.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Duathlon Championships - April 7-8 Greenville SC [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've not done a Duathlon since 1993 but since I'm next door in Georgia, I figured I'd sign up for the Champ race.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Will this be a 2 year run in Greenville, like it was in Bend? Maybe in 2019. "

That's what Tim briefed at the town hall meeting in Bend. A lot of people wanted the race to remain in Bend longer and I agree that's a great venue. It's a very honest course with all the hills. You have to be strong to do well.

But as a South Carolinian, I'm VERY happy to see them move to my back yard for a couple of years. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Duathlon Championships - April 7-8 Greenville SC [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBriGuy wrote:

That's what Tim briefed at the town hall meeting in Bend. A lot of people wanted the race to remain in Bend longer and I agree that's a great venue. It's a very honest course with all the hills. You have to be strong to do well.

But as a South Carolinian, I'm VERY happy to see them move to my back yard for a couple of years. :-)

And a lot of us are very glad it moved. The location may have been good for the race, but it was terrible logistics for those on the East Coast. Never been to Greenville, but its a lot easier than Bend so we will be there. April date is also great.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Duathlon Championships - April 7-8 Greenville SC [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Location will be great for me too. I think I will add this to my plan. One more MOP duathlete for you guys to beat up on.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Duathlon Championships - April 7-8 Greenville SC [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
TriBriGuy wrote:

And a lot of us are very glad it moved. The location may have been good for the race, but it was terrible logistics for those on the East Coast. Never been to Greenville, but its a lot easier than Bend so we will be there. April date is also great.

I am not one of them. I thought Bend was just an amazing race location. Perfect weather, no humidity. Perfect championship bike course, kept folks honest with the hill. Great tough run course. Took me like 8 or so hours to drive. You folks on the east coast have had way way more races close to you than us folks on the west coast. Oh well, it is what it is.

So does Greenville promise no humidity or bugs or snakes or .....

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Duathlon Championships - April 7-8 Greenville SC [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greenville likely offers some type of elevation gain.

1st of April I would expect temps in lower 50s race morning. It's 2 full months before bend and June time frame.

Greenville will be great location and that time of year you won't get the "summer heat".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Duathlon Championships - April 7-8 Greenville SC [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Greenville likely offers some type of elevation gain.

1st of April I would expect temps in lower 50s race morning. It's 2 full months before bend and June time frame.

Greenville will be great location and that time of year you won't get the "summer heat".

So you promise no humidity, bugs or ... :)

Yep, the hill at bend meant there were no drafting issues.

Just wish all the races would move around the country. :(

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Duathlon Championships - April 7-8 Greenville SC [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

When I looked into Bend it was 2 stops and $1,000 for a coach from NYC.

LA to Greenville (just an example of a major West Coast City) is 1 stop and $300. (again coach)

Given that very quick search, I'm guessing most major cities can get to Greenville with 1 stop or direct

That should make Greenville a much better logistical choice for most people.

No idea about the climate, bugs, etc, in Greenville as I've never been, but I'll bet the grits, pulled pork, etc. will be awesome.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:

When I looked into Bend it was 2 stops and $1,000 for a coach from NYC.

LA to Greenville (just an example of a major West Coast City) is 1 stop and $300. (again coach)

Given that very quick search, I'm guessing most major cities can get to Greenville with 1 stop or direct

That should make Greenville a much better logistical choice for most people.

No idea about the climate, bugs, etc, in Greenville as I've never been, but I'll bet the grits, pulled pork, etc. will be awesome.

Since I drove to Bend, I do not have first hand flight costs, but yep, I heard is was very expensive to get to from anywhere flying.

Part of my thought are will the TeamUSA worlds event allow one to race both events. Too expensive, IMO, to just go for one race.
Right now Denmark as made a schedule not allowing folks to do both Du races. Penticton started this way and then changed their schedule.
Shall be interesting to see if Denmark changes also since it is supposed to be a multisport event.

Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Duathlon Championships - April 7-8 Greenville SC [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBriGuy wrote:
They are doing a trial run race on the course(s) in November. As far as I know, these are pretty much the courses barring any roadwork or other changes.

It's a great area for running and cycling. I'm heading up in August to recon the courses.

http://www.setupevents.com/?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=3056

Be sure to report back what the course is like. I'm interested in hearing about it. The map seems to indicate a two loop bike course for the standard distance that essentially runs around a lake, but there's no elevation gain data there.

Does anyone know what the area is like in terms of hills? It would be nice to have a few good rolling hills in there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Part of my thought are will the TeamUSA worlds event allow one to race both events. Too expensive, IMO, to just go for one race.
Right now Denmark as made a schedule not allowing folks to do both Du races. Penticton started this way and then changed their schedule.
Shall be interesting to see if Denmark changes also since it is supposed to be a multisport event.

Dave, I sent an email to ITU asking that question and the response was "no". And no exemption to the 36 hour rule. The respondent did say we should write to USAT and have them write to ITU. I'm getting clarification on what exactly we should ask for. When I receive it, I'll let you know. We can start an email writing campaign :-).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The USAT press release sez that an athlete can race all three duathlons, if desired.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Duathlon Championships - April 7-8 Greenville SC [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
The USAT press release sez that an athlete can race all three duathlons, if desired.

We're talking about the 2018 Worlds in Denmark. The Standard and DL Sprint races are on back-to-back days and ITU's 36 hour rest rule prevents competing in both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Dave, I sent an email to ITU asking that question and the response was "no". And no exemption to the 36 hour rule. The respondent did say we should write to USAT and have them write to ITU. I'm getting clarification on what exactly we should ask for. When I receive it, I'll let you know. We can start an email writing campaign :-).

Never say never. Write to Tim Yount.

Get on the TeamUSA FB page are lets start a write in campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/...80877/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
giorgitd wrote:

We're talking about the 2018 Worlds in Denmark. The Standard and DL Sprint races are on back-to-back days and ITU's 36 hour rest rule prevents competing in both.

Some made a great comment that they may want to see how the Penticton race goes. So, will shall see.

I know Tri worlds is no longer an interest because of what they did at Rotterdam, only 1 race since they put both on the same day.

But if Denmark holds with no rule change, my emotion is I would rather save the money and take my family back to Disneyland!!!
And this would mean I would care less about going to 2018 du nationals also.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duathlon is mighty sparse here in coastal SC, Dave. 4 hours, minimum for every duathlon on the calendar. There are some short ones in northern GA and a few in NC. There is the Cary Classic, which was the LC Nats the last couple of years. But beyond that, I'm not driving 8 hours to St. Petersburg, FL or similar to do a sprint race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am also bummed about the DU Champs being moved to the East Coast. I am from Northern CA and there are few duathlons here. It seems that from what I notice on social media there are triathlons/duathlons every weekend on the East Coast. Bend is an amazing town and I am happy to make the 8 hour drive for such a great course and venue. Hilly courses are my favorite and definitely play to my strengths. I loved every second of the DU Champs and the town really went above and beyond to make the course safe and fun for all. Getting to the East Coast is more difficult for us than driving to Bend and we have to acclimate to humidity, bugs, etc. I know we have to make it fair for all, but the West Coast really needs more duathlons/triathlons. I am sad to see Champs leave Bend. Hopefully Bend will be a venue for more multisport races in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Duathlon Championships - April 7-8 Greenville SC [Schwcl2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schwcl2 wrote:
I am also bummed about the DU Champs being moved to the East Coast. I am from Northern CA and there are few duathlons here. It seems that from what I notice on social media there are triathlons/duathlons every weekend on the East Coast. Bend is an amazing town and I am happy to make the 8 hour drive for such a great course and venue. Hilly courses are my favorite and definitely play to my strengths. I loved every second of the DU Champs and the town really went above and beyond to make the course safe and fun for all. Getting to the East Coast is more difficult for us than driving to Bend and we have to acclimate to humidity, bugs, etc. I know we have to make it fair for all, but the West Coast really needs more duathlons/triathlons. I am sad to see Champs leave Bend. Hopefully Bend will be a venue for more multisport races in the future.

Seems to me you are making a great case for Nationals to stay on the east cost for a long time.

Why hold a championship where the vast majority of racers are not from?

NY, NJ, PA seem to have lots (relatively speaking) of races and racers - award the regions that are putting out the effort to grow the sport.
Quote Reply

Prev Next