Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2017 Ironman Florida
Quote | Reply
It seems things have changed on ST. Years ago, there would be threads for weeks leading up to the race. Threads about bib numbers being up, threads about water temperature, threads about drafting, jellyfish, you name it. Now, nothing. The race is just over three weeks away and if there has been a thread about it, I guess I missed it. Is there just less interest in Ironman events, or has ST "jumped the shark?"

If all goes well (as I ice my calf), this will be my 11th consecutive IMFL.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a lot of discussion, excitement, etc regarding IMFL on Facebook. Same of all of the other IM-centric facebook groups that I belong to. I may be the last adult on Earth to join facebook (last year) but there is much more discussion there than on ST. The topics of conversation are very different on the two platforms tough. On FB you see a lot of nervousness, excitement, "look at my gear", and other "fluff". I guess this is typical FB fodder. ST seems to be more talk about how we all know how to improve the pro's bike fit (pink-ish) and arguing over why disc brakes do/don't suck.

Me personally, I'm just burned the F out. Between a formerly very fit runner wife who is now dealing with heart problems, general work BS, probable overtraining thought I feel like I'm horribly under trained, etc, I'm on the verge of just pulling the plug on IMFL and calling it a season.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen all the FB chatter as well. I'll be there floating, overbiking, and jogging. Maybe I'll wear a shirt from a different race to check-in, so I can be discussed on a strange denizen of check-in thread in a few weeks.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be there. Broke my arm on the bike last year around mile 90 so my goal is pretty simple this year...don't crash.

Training has been steady and I don't have any major pains or strains so I am pretty excited going into the race. Last year the winds were strong all year this year it's been pretty low. Last year it wasn't over 90 degrees during the days leading into the race. This year it is. At this point I am hoping for hot weather because any cold front will bother me since my training is in the heat.

Wish you well in the calf injury.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to read you decided to race.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [Tatonka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tatonka wrote:
I've seen all the FB chatter as well. I'll be there floating, overbiking, and jogging. Maybe I'll wear a shirt from a different race to check-in, so I can be discussed on a strange denizen of check-in thread in a few weeks.

You need to wear full race kit to check in.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changed my mind. Wetsuit for check in, race kit for the banquet.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll be there. Will be my first Ironman. Excited but scared shitless at the same time. I’m ready for race day to just be here already. The lead up and anticipation is killing me. It’s dragging on, though I have actually enjoyed the training and process. I have a pretty big 4 days of training starting tomorrow and then we are in the home stretch.

Water temp seems to be warm (80ish). Still will be a toss up. Hoping for no wetsuit. But will be prepared for anything.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea mon, you're right. My first IMFL was 2004, and ST and the Arange page both had running commentary.....

I won't be doing IMFL again until 2019, Lord willing, when I age up and the race is on my bday...just for grins. Sufferfest is my idea of a wonderful birthday present.....

Best of luck to you, Spartacus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. IMFL 2014 was my first IM but had the canceled swim, so I'm finally back for (hopefully) a full race. Hopefully we get much better weather.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very warm. Not sure how fast the gulf water cools. For IMLou, it starts dropping 0.5 degrees a day once you hit October, but that's obviously a river.

I think IMFL has only had the one non wetsuit swim? Somebody might correct me on that. I know it's usually been wetsuit legal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we will have to wait and see which pros bomb early out of Kona and punt to the Florida race. Imagine the top 5 men all get sent off course at Havi, DQ'd on the bike and they all decide to duke it out in Florida!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
Very warm. Not sure how fast the gulf water cools. For IMLou, it starts dropping 0.5 degrees a day once you hit October, but that's obviously a river.

I think IMFL has only had the one non wetsuit swim? Somebody might correct me on that. I know it's usually been wetsuit legal.

Can’t speak to the rate of cooling. Look at the forecast and it’s going to get into the 60s at night in a few days. Water temp will drop and it will be real close to the cut off come raceday.

2015 is the only year I know of that it wasn’t wetsuit legal. Though I’m told it’s still close every single year. I would be prepared for both (mentally speaking).

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in....first 140.6 so I'm pumped. Only hope is the dew point is below 68 degrees and I'll take anything else with a smile.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no pro race at Florida

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’ll be good, I saw you race in Raleigh this year, just stick to your pre-race plan. Don’t over do the calories, that’s hard to bounce back from. Last 10 miles of the marathon, if you have it in you it go for broke. The anticipation is a knot in the chest at times, anxiety is a mofo.
Last edited by: mike s: Oct 12, 17 12:24
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck to the first timers. IMFL was my first (2013) and have done it every year since. Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [Rocking Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocking Rob wrote:
Good luck to the first timers. IMFL was my first (2013) and have done it every year since. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

I was there in 2013 as well......what a perfect day for racing!! It was my 3rd & now I'm up to 5 finishes although my last 2 have had shortened courses.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for my 2nd IMFL (2013). Really glad I've only got another week until taper time. This is my first full with a child. I have no F'ing clue how people do multiple IM's with kids.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
Good to read you decided to race.

I've had some solid workouts so it has added some excitement. I'm going to just go out and enjoy the day!

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
You’ll be good, I saw you race in Raleigh this year, just stick to your pre-race plan. Don’t over do the calories, that’s hard to bounce back from. Last 10 miles of the marathon, if you have it in you it go for broke. The anticipation is a knot in the chest at times, anxiety is a mofo.

Thank you

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no pro race at Florida //

I know, should have used pink. But in the old days when some big threads on Florida were popular, there were some pretty good pros that would pitch up and make it a race. And then there was also Joe Bonness, he created quite a bit of buzz here pre race too. But now unless they cancel the swim or someone posts 40 person pelotons, it doesn't get much play pre race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in and it's my first full. Very excited, not nervous yet, and a little injured with shin split. I'll get to the finish line no matter what. I too will wear wetsuit to check in, or pointy aero helmet.

See you all there!
Quote Reply

Prev Next