Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
marcag wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Callin' wrote:
the first one doesn't count I don;t think. the runs have to be 30 minutes long

Nope there is a wuss clause for up to two times a week, a 15 min followed the next day with a 45 or longer gets averaged for the two days.

Do you use the wuss clause during double run days....ie run 30 in the morning, 15 at night, 45 next day and combine the 15 and 45 for 2 runs, therefore 3 total ?

I do not see why not.

The rules are not clear here.
Dev could confirm but it does go against the reason the wuss clause was put (IMO)
The wuss clause was put in to have super easy days but some have used it to artificially bolster their run count
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems pretty clear to me, from the very first post regarding rules:

New in 2015-16 was an allowance for 2x per week minimum run of 15 minutes which must be followed up by 45 run the next day. A 15 min run earlier in the day, followed by a 45 min run later in the day does not count for 2 runs in that day, it still counts as the usual 1 run of 60 minutes. The reason for this is that the minimum on 2 days per week of 15 min run is being instituted to assist people in not over doing mileage on days when perhaps a short jog or transition run off the bike or swim is all they should really be doing in the context of an overall triathlon program"
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I started my challenge early on Halloween, but I'm going to have to end the consecutive day part of the challenge at 72 after getting blistered so badly that now it hurts to even stand up after I ran sock-less when I forgot to pack socks for my lunchtime run yesterday.

I've struggled with a hamstring injury off an on over the past two years. I'm unsure how much faster I am right now, but I was surprised how much easier running got and in-tune with my run form I became after so many consecutive days and just running easy or short strides/hills.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [krull_etc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is everyone getting on? Any interesting stories...?

For me, I'm definitely not in contention to get the 100/100 as have missed about 5/6 so far but did my first double yesterday and felt absurdly good on my 10 miler this morning.

Haven't felt this strong in my running ever before and am going to bite the bullet and enter my maiden marathon this week (for Dec 2017, trail race with 5000ft of elevation gain).

Thanks for the challenge and continued good luck to all taking part.

Blog: http://www.coopstriblog.wordpress.com
Latest blog: Setting Goals. With or Without Gin.
Date: 10/31/2017
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
marcag wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Callin' wrote:
the first one doesn't count I don;t think. the runs have to be 30 minutes long

Nope there is a wuss clause for up to two times a week, a 15 min followed the next day with a 45 or longer gets averaged for the two days.

Do you use the wuss clause during double run days....ie run 30 in the morning, 15 at night, 45 next day and combine the 15 and 45 for 2 runs, therefore 3 total ?

I do not see why not.

The rules are not clear here.
Dev could confirm but it does go against the reason the wuss clause was put (IMO)
The wuss clause was put in to have super easy days but some have used it to artificially bolster their run count

No, you can only add times for runs WITHIN a single day to get over 30 minutes outside of the wussification clause. But once you are over 30 minutes for multiple runs, you can't allocate one of the multiple physical runs from day one to push you over the 30 min threshold for day 2 on the wussification 2015/16 clause. That was added so that if you did a longer run on a given day, you could subtract 15 minutes from that longer run and add it to tomorrow's run to get yourself over the limit. It's not there so you can log multiple runs today and then tomorrow move 15 minutes over to tomorrow to get one more run tomorrow.
So using actual examples

1. 15 min + 15 min today = 1 run today
  2. 45 min + 15 min today = 1 run today (the idea here is if you are doing a longer day, then go all out and do 30 min on the second one, or combine them to get credit for the time and distance)
  3. 30 min + 30 min today = 2 runs today (you went out twice with at least 60 min in between. The reality is that doing 30+30 is kind of harder than 45+15 because 30-45 is not a big stretch on run number 1, but on run number 2 when you really don't feel like running 30 minutes is a lot harder than 15)
  4. 30 min + 45 min today = 2 run today (you covered over 30 min per run, kudos to you)
  5. 45 min run today = 1 run today

Now moving to the next day

• If you take item 1 and do 15 min today, you get credit for zero runs today
  • If you take item 2 and do 15 min today, you get credit for zero runs today since they were combined into a longer vrtual run yesterday.
  • If you take item 3 and do 15 minutes you get zero credit, for another run today since you got credit for 2 runs yesterday
  • If you take item 4 and do 15 min, you get zero credit for another run today since you got credit for 2 runs yesterday
  • If you take item 5 and do 15 min, then you get credit for 2 runs...one yesterday, one today, each 30 min entered into the log

This may "seem" a bit arbitrary, but the only reason we added the wussification rule was to get people out for a short run the day after longer running (for them). If you already ran long enough yesterday, then you did, and you don't need the help of the wussification rule to get "run count up".

At the end of the day, "run count" is bogus. What matters is overall training load and distance/hours done. Run count is only a tool to get to more distance/hours. Every year we have people who miss the forest from the trees and get overly focused on run count rather than overall distance/hours. Frequency is just a stupid tool. It's not the end game in terms of getting fit. But I can't help it when people get stupidly competitive about the wrong thing just because that 'appears' to be what you're measured on. It's like focusing on market share and going nuts trying to artificially jack up market share, when in reality, its more important to focus on the key accounts that will jack up revenue/profitability. Market share is just an enabler to get there....its a subservient metric to the end game.

Just because I/WE set the subservient metric of run count to get you guys going, please don't lose sight that the main metric is hours/distance (I used hours/distance interchangeably, since hours running on snow on ice could very well be worth a lot more from a physiological loading standpoint vs running on dry pavement in shorts).

On a completely different note, I ran every day this week....slow, but still jogging on the treadmill 30ish minutes per day. I even got up at 5 am to do one before an early morning flight. Saturday, I did a double jog. It was getting too much fun, so today, no jogging, and made sure that my longest swim of the week was longer than my longer runs (6.5K swim). I would like to try to hit 5 runs per week for the challenge if this keeps up and gradually make a few longer. I'll be better off doing that, since the first 5-10 min of each run is lot of warmup/shuffle overhead that's lower value in terms of my rehab

Dev

PS. Sorry I did not check this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [jac2689] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jac2689 wrote:

For me, I'm definitely not in contention to get the 100/100 as have missed about 5/6 so far but did my first double yesterday and felt absurdly good on my 10 miler this morning.

Haven't felt this strong in my running ever before and am going to bite the bullet and enter my maiden marathon this week (for Dec 2017, trail race with 5000ft of elevation gain).

All the best for your maiden marathon jac2689! As for me, I also do enjoy the challenge as I def. run more (frequently) than before. To make the best out of this "nonsense" challenge, I decided to put into action what has been on my mind for a while. A ~1,000 km cross country run in Germany (north to south, from Flensburg to the Zugspitze) this July. I hope this 100/100 will be a good trainings-base for it.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [Mandai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mandai wrote:
jac2689 wrote:

All the best for your maiden marathon jac2689! As for me, I also do enjoy the challenge as I def. run more (frequently) than before. To make the best out of this "nonsense" challenge, I decided to put into action what has been on my mind for a while. A ~1,000 km cross country run in Germany (north to south, from Flensburg to the Zugspitze) this July. I hope this 100/100 will be a good trainings-base for it.

Did I read this correctly...finish line at the top of Zugspitz on the border with Austria?

Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [jac2689] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jac2689 wrote:

I checked out this thread just to post on my "interesting story"! Backstory: I have been a very inconsistent runner my entire "tri career", so joined the 100/100 challenge to work on running. I actually started following a Barry P plan in early October, dropped down to running 3-4 times a week in November/December (holiday craziness), and have been trying to get back up to 5-6 days a week since early January. Almost all easy/slow running, with one group track workout per week. I've averaged about 20 miles a week for October 1 through now, with most weeks being in the mid-to-low 20's. Gunning to get up to ~30-35 miles per week, but it hasn't happened yet.

My "interesting story": I ran a half marathon yesterday, and had a 12 minute PR!!! Now mind you, I went from 1:59 to 1:47, so it's not like I have blazing speed, but still, that is a huge improvement! A year ago - hell, 6 months ago - I could not have fathomed running a half marathon at a just over 8-minute mile pace. I don't know that I could have run a 5k at that pace. (Surprise at my time is extra true of yesterday, since i've been fighting off a cold for the last 3 days and have felt very lethargic and generally crappy). Most surprisingly, my legs feel great today, barely any soreness.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm curious about how much faster I can get by concentrating on easy running frequency. My first tri is St. George in early May, so I really need to start riding a lot more. Haven't figured out how to balance those things with time constraints/job/kids/etc.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Did I read this correctly...finish line at the top of Zugspitz on the border with Austria?
Yes, but there are hiking routes up there, so nothing too technical. The "high"light of the run in all aspects :)
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [Jwizzle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'm curious about how much faster I can get by concentrating on easy running frequency"

Jwizzle,

I'd want to make a suggestion and it causes somewhat of a semantic tweak - I'm suggesting that you continue with the easy running frequency but "concentrate" on 2 or 3 form changes while running those easy runs. The idea being that you'll pop out the other side of this streak by making permanent improvements in your run technique that will open you up to greater speed in the future and less injuries. Now, all of this presupposes that a) you are not a perfect runner now and that's not really fair so I want to apologize for that right off the bat, and b) that you buy into the idea that technique matters.

My thinking is that you'd work with a coach for just one hour and walk away with 2 or 3 prioritized fixes that you could be mindful of while running the rest of the streak.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ian, thanks for the input. Three things about me to put 1:47 into perspective: (1) i'm a woman (2) pushing 40 (3) with two young kids. My form is decent - I have decent cadence (usually average ~175), good running posture, although a slight tendency to overstride. I have a very dodgy hip from dislocating it as a teenager, so I don't have great hip mobility, which limits my speed to some extent. This all being said, I agree that technique is important. My weekly track workout is with a coach, and it's a small group of us (2-6 people), so there is a good amount of one-on-one time addressing form pointers. My biggest weakness is conditioning, so the consistent short, easy runs have probably been the best running investment I could make.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
unlocked serratus posterior today, big breakthrough, heel sinks effortlessly. Now for some building :>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance we can extend this for 2 days?
Honestly, I'll only get to 30 to 50 days- but; I am doing a half marathon on 3-26 and that one extra would just be icing on my well below bronze cake.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
unlocked serratus posterior today, big breakthrough, heel sinks effortlessly. Now for some building :>

Wow that is huge...I am struggling to dorsiflex and get the relaxed heal to toe movement but it is coming. This is 1000% better than back in Aug/Sep when walking was very hit and miss and was waiting for the cortisone injection in my disc. This week was on a business trip and swam every morning 4000-5300m and in the evening was on the hotel treadmill with my vibrams running 35-50 minutes. Definitely a win.

I don't have any pictures yet to post on this thread because all the runs have been on the treadmill. If I get out on snowshoes this weekend when I get back home, will post for sure!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
kiki wrote:

Wow that is huge...I am struggling to dorsiflex and get the relaxed heal to toe movement but it is coming. This is 1000% better than back in Aug/Sep when walking was very hit and miss and was waiting for the cortisone injection in my disc. This week was on a business trip and swam every morning 4000-5300m and in the evening was on the hotel treadmill with my vibrams running 35-50 minutes. Definitely a win.

I don't have any pictures yet to post on this thread because all the runs have been on the treadmill. If I get out on snowshoes this weekend when I get back home, will post for sure!

Dev

Is that a new Woodway you're running on now? How's that working out? I'm jealous! (I still love my Sole F80 though, despite having to just had to spend $400 to replace the entire console after it died out of warrantee.)
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
kiki wrote:

Dev

Is that a new Woodway you're running on now? How's that working out? I'm jealous! (I still love my Sole F80 though, despite having to just had to spend $400 to replace the entire console after it died out of warrantee.)

The new Woodway arrives on Tuesday....I can't wait!!!! My shuffling is going steady. My cardio is awesome from last year's 1200K year of swimming so I really have to hold myself back from doing stupid things trying to run too fast too soon. But I am pretty well jogging 5-7 times per week now for the bare minimum of 30 min most of the time. Most of the time with Vibrams since I have more coordination with them, otherwise with my NB Minimus trail with Correct Toes spacers inside to keep the toes splayed.

OK you guys...we're closing in on Day 40 and I only see ~40 of you on 100/100 pace. By now you should be feeling in a groove and can probably step it up. I think I have a shot at 80x 30-40 min for this year if I don't do totally stupid things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, 38 days in, and I'm still on the wagon! - And about 10lbs lighter!

Is there any place where previous years 100/100 logs/results are posted?
Last edited by: nickwhite: Jan 21, 17 18:38
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:

Good for you. I am just winging it.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [JMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JMike wrote:
nickwhite wrote:

Either that, or just stalking me.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
JMike wrote:
nickwhite wrote:

Either that, or just stalking me.

We can discuss at HFFA tomorrow morning, see you there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 40/40 but I don't think I'm really any lighter, or faster, however I don't really need walk breaks at all anymore, and I really used to look forward to 30 sec every ten minutes or so. Trying to consciously stay slow and keep a lid on HR most runs, deliberately trying to build base and ignoring the creeping feeling that I need to start doing speed work again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:

I haven't converted historical challenges, but I could.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a general reply to the thread.

Today marks my 100th day of running in a row of at least 30 minutes. In that time I've managed to run 976km. I'm hoping to make it to the end of the challenge as a streak, but I'm willing to take a day off if I need to.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [Habs4ever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work. Ever done this before? Any positive results to report?
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [MVM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MVM wrote:
Nice work. Ever done this before? Any positive results to report?
This is officially my 6th year with the challenge with 3 (?) being done as a streak. I did do it unofficially in 2010-2011 and managed a run streak of >200 days. I'm not a triathlete, strictly a runner who was directed to this sight specifically for the 100/100 challenge back in 2010.
As far as positive results go, I'd have to say yes personally, but as of interest to others the answer would be no. I'm a mid 50's woman who loves running and this challenge is always a way to fuel my passion.
Quote Reply

Prev Next