Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
I am reading the rules

Apparently not. Read the part about double runs. It's 100 runs/100 days and a "run" has been well defined.

I just read the rules again and it looks like I blew it. Now, if the log gets the column changed from frequency to number, then the log
matches the challenge, IMO.

Great, this challenge is SO much easier, and I now can totally change my tactics.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

I now only need to run 50 days, 2 times per each of these days for 15 minutes to get 100, great, just a totally different challenge, and so so much easier than
what I thought a 100/100 was. I like easier stuff.

this is incorrect. 2x 15minutes runs in a day is counted as one run. If you want to get 2 runs in a day they must be 2 x 30mins with at least an hour in between.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I now only need to run 50 days, 2 times per each of these days for 15 minutes to get 100, great, just a totally different challenge, and so so much easier than

this is incorrect. 2x 15minutes runs in a day is counted as one run. If you want to get 2 runs in a day they must be 2 x 30mins with at least an hour in between.

Okay, you are correct. I could do a 15 minute, wait an hour, then run 45 minutes and get 2 runs in a day?

Now, maybe that is wrong also.

If I do the above, for 60 minutes in 2 days, I get to count this as 30 per day, right?

So the only way to get credit for 2 in a day is to run at least twice, each being a minimum of 30 minutes? So the least one could run to get credit for two in a day is an hour?

Okay, I get it. Still makes 100 run in 100 days with these rules a lot easier that frequency of 100 run days in 100 days. My mistake.

Glad I did my 30 minutes already this morning on the treadmill in my warm man cave. I am now going out for a 50 mile bike ride in 30 degree weather. No bike trainer today.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Last edited by: h2ofun: Dec 17, 16 7:03
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
marcag wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Okay, you are correct. I could do a 15 minute, wait an hour, then run 45 minutes and get 2 runs in a day?

I do not believe so. There is a rule that you could do 15 today, 45 tomorrow, twice a week. But if they are done in the same day that is one 60min run.

Dev can confirm.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
marcag wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I do not believe so. There is a rule that you could do 15 today, 45 tomorrow, twice a week. But if they are done in the same day that is one 60min run.

Dev can confirm.

I updated my post before you saw the mod since I had thought I was wrong.

But, knowing the rules of this event better now, I can change my tactics. Since I am going to be doing Duathlons early in the season, I might try this change of training.
First I could run 30 minutes on the treadmill. Then 90 minutes on the bike trainer. Then go outside and run my hill route, but rather than do my normal 90 minutes,
I could just maybe do 60 minutes, and still only get my normal 90 minutes run in for a day. Will see how I feel. But this would give me 2 runs in a day and buffer me for
days I might not want to run. So much easier.

Sorry for the confusion. That frequency column in the log book just got my confused.

Time to change for the cold bike ride.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
marcag wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Dev can confirm.

Marcag is correct. The "wussification" was to get people out on a day when they would not have otherwise run. It's not a loophole that gives people credit for multiple runs on a day when they have the physical means to do a longer run. For example 16x29.59 runs separated each by 60 minutes will just count as a massive 7:59.44 run. Not 8 runs of 59.58. I'm being extreme to illustrate the example. The wussification was there to get people out for a quick transition run when that would not hurt them in terms of injuries etc. It's not there to be used if you can already run longer on a given day. If you can do large volume on a given day, just go do it.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
marcag wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
marcag wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Dev can confirm.

Marcag is correct. The "wussification" was to get people out on a day when they would not have otherwise run. It's not a loophole that gives people credit for multiple runs on a day when they have the physical means to do a longer run. For example 16x29.59 runs separated each by 60 minutes will just count as a massive 7:59.44 run. Not 8 runs of 59.58. I'm being extreme to illustrate the example. The wussification was there to get people out for a quick transition run when that would not hurt them in terms of injuries etc. It's not there to be used if you can already run longer on a given day. If you can do large volume on a given day, just go do it.

But, since the rules are the rules, I will consider changing to put in my Duathlon training focus, which would be a run bike run day. May try that today to see how I feel after my 30 minute run this morning, now going on a cold 50 mile bike. Mentally, will see when I get home can I do another 30 minute treadmill run for 2 runs today. :)

Thanks again. Sorry I was a little slow on understanding the "wussification" aspect, but I like easier stuff. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dev

Just to add to the confusion I think the frequency refers to 30 minute runs ?

I did a 2.38 minute warmup, 21 minute parkrun then a 13.12 jog to top this up over 30 minutes but this has been logged as 3 runs and a total of 5 which is wrong.

Good luck with your rehab
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cowboy7 wrote:
Hi Dev

Just to add to the confusion I think the frequency refers to 30 minute runs ?

I did a 2.38 minute warmup, 21 minute parkrun then a 13.12 jog to top this up over 30 minutes but this has been logged as 3 runs and a total of 5 which is wrong.

Good luck with your rehab

You need to enter this as one run which was 2:38+21:00+13:12. So enter a single run that is 36:50 in duration
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK just replying to the first 100/100 vet I could find scrolling from the bottom. So Marcag gets to decide!!!!

So here in Ottawa Canada we had a decent snowstorm. The golf course that is 100m from my front door is covered with knee deep snow. I rode the computrainer for 80 min and then was going to shuffle/walk on the treadmill and in my equipment room, my snowshoes were jumping out at me.....they were saying, "come on, let's get outside, screw the treadmill...if you can walk and shuffle on the treadmill, let's go". So I put on my zillion layers of clothing to get out in minus 12C (I am wussified from 14 months of not being exposed to training in cold) and went out. Shoved my feet into the snowshoes and started walking in the snow. After getting through around 100m I turned and walked back and now that the snow was packed down, decided to try a slow jog. It was better than on "hard land" and I was able to jog "OK". Then for the first half hour, I alternated jogging and walking (packing down snow....can't jog in that). Then I got carried away and for the second half hour it was more like 2/3 "running", 1/3 running. I even got all carried away and did some of the steeper hills and had fun not thinking about "rehab" just playing in the snow like a 51 year old kid.

I am almost certain that I was actually running with snowshoes on in excess of 30 minutes (I am guessing 15 min in the first half hour and 20 min in the second half hour). So I am submitting this to the ST twitch hunting mobs before risking entering it formally as I don't have a garmin file to prove the actual running amount (and frankly you would not be able tell since snow shoe running is almost as slow as a fast walk anyway) and I don't have sportstats "timing" for this event, and I don't have an Finisherpix photos of me passing the photographer "on the course".

So what does the 100/100 twitch hunt team say. Is this story submit - able in the 100/100 or is it DQ'd on account of no proof of the actual amount of running? I am thinking of entering this in the ST log as a 35 min run and a 25 min walk (I almost never enter walking as a workout but since my cardio was probably working at 75% FTP just walking I better enter it to properly see the overall weekly hours).

In any case, good to be exercising outdoors on my feet!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Dec 17, 16 13:06
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev,
My Garmin Communicator Plugin is not working, nor is my .tcx file download.

Any ideas? I prefer not to manually enter 100 days of runs.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
OK just replying to the first 100/100 vet I could find scrolling from the bottom. So Marcag gets to decide!!!!

So here in Ottawa Canada we had a decent snowstorm. The golf course that is 100m from my front door is covered with knee deep snow. I rode the computrainer for 80 min and then was going to shuffle/walk on the treadmill and in my equipment room, my snowshoes were jumping out at me.....they were saying, "come on, let's get outside, screw the treadmill...if you can walk and shuffle on the treadmill, let's go". So I put on my zillion layers of clothing to get out in minus 12C (I am wussified from 14 months of not being exposed to training in cold) and went out. Shoved my feet into the snowshoes and started walking in the snow. After getting through around 100m I turned and walked back and now that the snow was packed down, decided to try a slow jog. It was better than on "hard land" and I was able to jog "OK". Then for the first half hour, I alternated jogging and walking (packing down snow....can't jog in that). Then I got carried away and for the second half hour it was more like 2/3 "running", 1/3 running. I even got all carried away and did some of the steeper hills and had fun not thinking about "rehab" just playing in the snow like a 51 year old kid.

I am almost certain that I was actually running with snowshoes on in excess of 30 minutes (I am guessing 15 min in the first half hour and 20 min in the second half hour). So I am submitting this to the ST twitch hunting mobs before risking entering it formally as I don't have a garmin file to prove the actual running amount (and frankly you would not be able tell since snow shoe running is almost as slow as a fast walk anyway) and I don't have sportstats "timing" for this event, and I don't have an Finisherpix photos of me passing the photographer "on the course".

So what does the 100/100 twitch hunt team say. Is this story submit - able in the 100/100 or is it DQ'd on account of no proof of the actual amount of running? I am thinking of entering this in the ST log as a 35 min run and a 25 min walk (I almost never enter walking as a workout but since my cardio was probably working at 75% FTP just walking I better enter it to properly see the overall weekly hours).

In any case, good to be exercising outdoors on my feet!

Rules say : "both feet leave the ground on every stride". If so, I'd say it's good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that if you do two 30 minute runs in one day, as long as they are separated by at least an hour, you can enter them as two separate runs--not one one hour run.
In Reply To:

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did a double today so I wouldn't have to run in the rain predicted for tomorrow. Now at #13 in the challenge. NEVER. HAPPEN. AGAIN.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, help me out. How do you have 4 activities listed when we are only into our 3rd day? And for today, where do you live you already have your run in?

Dave,

It looks like - from the posts since you asked - that this is sorted but I wanted to respond none the less. I live ~6 hrs south of you on the west side of Los Angeles. I too feel that frequency in training is a blessing and that's what makes the Challenge so valuable. I've got some travel/work coming up that are super taxing. In January I'm leading a full day for a USAT Level 1 coaching cert and then a full day, the next for a Youth and Junior Draft Legal certification in San Francisco and I won't be able to run for 2 days in there. Also, right now, here in LA, it's just too perfect: work is light, it rained, it's cold/windy/clear (read: less smog) so I wanted to double up now so I can be a bit ahead of the game with what I know will disrupt my frequency in the 97 days that lay ahead.

So, anyway, I've doubled up each day of the 3 days so far and now I'll only run once a day for the 6-7 as I can't let the enthusiasm I have for the Challenge overcome me. I'm on target for ~36mi this week and I don't want to exceed that in week one -that would my heaviest week in several months.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
So, help me out. How do you have 4 activities listed when we are only into our 3rd day? And for today, where do you live you already have your run in?

Dave,

It looks like - from the posts since you asked - that this is sorted but I wanted to respond none the less. I live ~6 hrs south of you on the west side of Los Angeles. I too feel that frequency in training is a blessing and that's what makes the Challenge so valuable. I've got some travel/work coming up that are super taxing. In January I'm leading a full day for a USAT Level 1 coaching cert and then a full day, the next for a Youth and Junior Draft Legal certification in San Francisco and I won't be able to run for 2 days in there. Also, right now, here in LA, it's just too perfect: work is light, it rained, it's cold/windy/clear (read: less smog) so I wanted to double up now so I can be a bit ahead of the game with what I know will disrupt my frequency in the 97 days that lay ahead.

So, anyway, I've doubled up each day of the 3 days so far and now I'll only run once a day for the 6-7 as I can't let the enthusiasm I have for the Challenge overcome me. I'm on target for ~36mi this week and I don't want to exceed that in week one -that would my heaviest week in several months.

Ian

Just my mistake when I saw frequency in the log column, rather than number of runs. I have not looked yet or heard from Dev should be changed to number of run days.

I just needed to understand the rules. So much easier the way it is presented. I was going to do two treadmill runs today, but after a 30 minute in the morning, and then a 3.5 hour bike out in the cold, Nah, will have to try that in the future.

Very smart to bag some buffer days, which I might try also.

Thanks everyone for the clarifications.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aargh, i am already starting this off with forced rest days. it has been snowing there and everything is covered in a layer of ice. even walking the dog is hazardous and is more like a skating expedition filled with prayers to the staying upright gods.
oh well. a few more days and then it will be slush.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, question for you. Does the inputs get checked so that no more than 2 30 plus minute runs count for a day?
I just looked at some of the folks with 6 runs, and at least one person has 3 runs down on a day, counting against their 6, which I believe is not part of the rules to get more than 2 runs counted per day?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Dev, question for you. Does the inputs get checked so that no more than 2 30 plus minute runs count for a day?
I just looked at some of the folks with 6 runs, and at least one person has 3 runs down on a day, counting against their 6, which I believe is not part of the rules to get more than 2 runs counted per day?

You can do up to 16 runs if you want in a day. Min run is 30 minutes and you have to wait 60 min between runs, so that gives you a chance to do 16 runs in 24 hours if you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

You can do up to 16 runs if you want in a day. Min run is 30 minutes and you have to wait 60 min between runs, so that gives you a chance to do 16 runs in 24 hours if you want.

Man, I guess I just keep missing the corner cases. Seems this stuff misses the intent, but that is just me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys are getting too carried away with the "rules". Just get out and run.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anton84 wrote:
You guys are getting too carried away with the "rules". Just get out and run.

:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, let me explain how this particular rule came about so you have some context:

• 2006-07, three of us ran every day for 100 days, 30 minimum, no days off, some doubles, but we actually did more than 100 runs in 100 days. It was fun, but it was stupid in the sense that it was kind of pointless to run 100 days straight from a training angle. Sure, as a "feat of strength" or "mental perseverance" it was cool but that's it
  • 2nd year we decided that the overall goal of a 100 day run focus was good, and the main idea was to use frequency to get to more mileage, so it would be worthwhile to have days off, but it was kind of cool to shoot for 100 runs in 100 days (vs 100 days of running)
  • To do the above we inserted the concept of double run days for the challenge (many of us do that anyway as part of normal training)
  • So once we added the concept of doubles or triples or quads, we needed to define what separated a run. It did not seem right, for example to count a 100 minute sessions with two 5 minute breaks at 30 minutes and again at 65 minutes as "three runs" because in effect, this was really "one run".
  • We discussed what a good separation time was. We decided that 30 min run + 60 min ride + 30 min run really counts as "two runs". Or a 30 min run to the pool, 45 min swim+15 changing overhead + 30 min run commute back home really felt like distinct runs
  • So we decided that the interval that seemed right was 60 minutes. It's long enough that you're not just going to sit around between runs just for the sake of entering two runs on the spreadsheet, when in reality you could just knock of a single 60 min run and move on with life. But 60 minutes is enough to insert another good quality workout

So that's why we have a 60 min separation between workouts. On the surface it may seem "arbitrary" but it was fairly well thought out with a lot of back and forth discussion before we converged on the "gap" interval. I believe this works quite well. Now you could sit in the donut shop in between run and surf ST or read the New York times. That's your choice. I had one friend run 30 minutes, then skate for 60 minutes on our local canal, and then run 30 minutes to a New Year's party on Dec 31st and then on Jan 1, after midnight at 1 am, he ran home. He got three runs in and some speed skating around some partying. He may have otherwise only gone for skating session.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about we have a rule next year that 1 run recorded = 1 clarification or complaint post about the rules of the challenge? Just a thought.

I'm loving the challenge again this year Dev, thank you for doing again. No one wins the challenge, we all just get a little bit fitter for next year!
Quote Reply

Prev Next