Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2015 ITU World Championships Date Change
Quote | Reply
So 3 months away from the ITU Grand Final in Chicago and they change the dates of the races and cancel Sunday altogether as the Chicago Bears Football team schedule just came out and they decided to schedule a home game on the Sunday. This event has been announced for how long and they couldn't take this event into consideration and request that the NFL schedule them out of town for that weekend.

On the ITU Chicago Facebook page there are several unhappy athletes as they now need to try and change flights and hotels to accommodate these changes. On top of that they only have one day kit pick up being on the Tuesday when most athletes won't even be in town.

Ive already purchase tickets to the White Sox and Cubs games and now am not sure if I can attend the White Sox game as it is the night prior to my race now.

I would have thought that the size of this event and City that this would have been a little better planned.

Twitter@Forsey37
Last edited by: Forsey: Jun 2, 15 7:22
Quote Reply
Re: ITU World Championships Date Change [Forsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"them" in this case being the NFL. yes. send them your complaints. let us know how that goes. truly sux, i too feel your pain.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 ITU World Championships Date Change [Forsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First you assume that no such request was made to the NFL.....we don't know if this is true or not.

Second, I think you are greatly overestimating the size / importance of this race vs. the impact of a single NFL game to the city of Chicago.

Golden rule applies - he who has the gold makes the rules.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that's great to find out about through Slowtwitch instead of any official communication.

Good thing I scheduled to be there the whole time anyway. But now I have 2 extra days in Chicago. Any tips for fun shit to do?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run PR's: 18:05 - 36:58 - 1:22:59 - 3:07

Quote Reply
Re: 2015 ITU World Championships Date Change [umcade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to a Bears game?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
umcade wrote:
Well that's great to find out about through Slowtwitch instead of any official communication.

Good thing I scheduled to be there the whole time anyway. But now I have 2 extra days in Chicago. Any tips for fun shit to do?

I think there is a Bears game on Sunday. Wink

There are plenty of things to do in Chicago in early fall....baseball is still going and both teams will likely be out of it by then (maybe not the Cubs) so tickets will be easily available. Museums galore, Navy Pier, Mag Mile, Willis Tower, etc.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 ITU World Championships Date Change [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Team sports? Gross

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run PR's: 18:05 - 36:58 - 1:22:59 - 3:07

Quote Reply
Re: 2015 ITU World Championships Date Change [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
First you assume that no such request was made to the NFL.....we don't know if this is true or not.

Second, I think you are greatly overestimating the size / importance of this race vs. the impact of a single NFL game to the city of Chicago.

You would think for how long the ITU has been around organizing these events they would be aware of any possible scheduling conflicts and be in contact with the City to figure this out.

I do understand that Football in the US is a crazy event to attend especially for the Bears, but you can't deny the fact that 8000 athletes plus their friends and families are bringing a good chuck of change to the City for this event. You would have thought that if requested that the NFL would have scheduled an away game for the Bears that weekend.

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Chicago: Hey NFL...we re hosting the World Championships for the ITU that weekend. Any chance the Bears could get scheduled for an away game that weekend?
NFL: What the fook is ITU?
Chicago: International Triathlon.
NFL: I thought Ironman was in Hawaii?
Chicago: No...different race. This is shorter and a different organization.
NFL: *internal gales of laughter* OK, we'll see what we can do. Thought it about it - no.

No pink implied.

Quote Reply
Re: 2015 ITU World Championships Date Change [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spot on! But still a total bummer for folks who have already incurred costs based on a published schedule. Makes you think twice about going to places where the financial impact of triathlon is a blip compared to smaller towns that really need the money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forsey wrote:
Power13 wrote:

You would think for how long the ITU has been around organizing these events they would be aware of any possible scheduling conflicts and be in contact with the City to figure this out.

I do understand that Football in the US is a crazy event to attend especially for the Bears, but you can't deny the fact that 8000 athletes plus their friends and families are bringing a good chuck of change to the City for this event. You would have thought that if requested that the NFL would have scheduled an away game for the Bears that weekend.

The NFL income to the city for just game day will dwarf anything ITU could bring to Chi-town. Plus the NFL is king in the US, they will do whatever they feel like doing & there a basically zero consequences. I bet if there was a request, it went something along the lines of the post of the "dialogue" between the NFL & ITU.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 ITU World Championships Date Change [5stones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You took the words right out of my mouth. With advertising, ticket sales, and TV revenues, a single bears game dwarfs the money we all bring in this week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The NFL released the teams' schedules back on April 20th.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 ITU World Championships Date Change [kscheiris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kscheiris wrote:
You took the words right out of my mouth. With advertising, ticket sales, and TV revenues, a single bears game dwarfs the money we all bring in this week.

A single football player is paid as much as all the prize purses from all the triathlons in the world. Didn't' slowman crunch the latter numbers and it was 6-8 million per year? Isn't that how much they pay a shitball player?
Last edited by: Dilbert: Jun 2, 15 9:55
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 ITU World Championships Date Change [5stones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5stones wrote:
Forsey wrote:
Power13 wrote:

The NFL income to the city for just game day will dwarf anything ITU could bring to Chi-town. Plus the NFL is king in the US, they will do whatever they feel like doing & there a basically zero consequences. I bet if there was a request, it went something along the lines of the post of the "dialogue" between the NFL & ITU.

Totally get what your saying. The point I was trying to make was the Bears have 9 home games and 9 away games. It would have been nice if the NFL schedule an away game for them on that weekend therefore being a win win for everyone but like someone mentioned above that the NFL probably doesn't even know what ITU is.

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 ITU World Championships Date Change [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
kscheiris wrote:

A single football player is paid as much as all the prize purses from all the triathlons in the world. Didn't' slowman crunch the latter numbers and it was 6-8 million per year? Isn't that how much they pay a shitball player?

That's what an average player makes. The good ones do much better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am hoping that there will be multiple opportunities to pick up race packets. If the Tuesday option is the only one, I will need to find an Austin Hardy look-a-like to do the deed for me (should be easy, aren't all slow twitchers, tall skinny dudes, with guant faces?

At least now us AG folks can get rip roaring drunk after our race and cheer like hells for some Americanos to finish in the top 8 of the elite race and get their invites to Rio!!

One last thing.. Has anyone actually registered for the AG race yet? I remember (and have a receipt) for the $50 deposit. But I can't find, nor do I remember, the final transaction to get registered....

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forsey wrote:
8000 athletes plus their friends and families are bringing a good chuck of change to the City for this event.

Soldier Field seats 61,000 people, average ticket price is $105. 6 million in ticket sales alone, they use about 2,500 game-day employees at the stadium.

So unfortunately 8,000 triathletes and families just don't register compared to the bears, particularly not to a town the size of Chicago.

I do feel bad for folks who already made travel plans.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 ITU World Championships Date Change [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actual registration for the WC races has not opened up yet. We all paid the $50 'interest' fee when we qualified at Milwaukee last year but there has been nothing since as USAT says its still waiting on ITU for pricing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exactly. the whole football scheduling thing gets even better: da bears have a stretch of 6 weeks with two home games. the two home games? the sunday of the original itu schedule and...? the sunday prior--load in and setup day for the week of championship events. triathlon is not even a pimple on the nfl's butt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.architecture.org/experience-caf/tours/

theres loads to do in chicago, but if you want to do something interesting and fun their tours are awesome - deco tour was great, have done many others when I lived there

post race breakfast - wishbone (still there?) or ann sathers (spelling? still there?) - neither will be a weight loss exercise, though the latter will be worse than the former
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 ITU World Championships Date Change [shredz2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shredz2000 wrote:
Actual registration for the WC races has not opened up yet. We all paid the $50 'interest' fee when we qualified at Milwaukee last year but there has been nothing since as USAT says its still waiting on ITU for pricing.

That is what I though..

So the ONLY skin I have in this game is $50.. The hotel is refundable, the vacation days are re-schedulable.. And there are plenty of other races that weekend, including Barrelman on Sunday.

IDK... It was cool to qualify for worlds, but not having a hotel room on Friday night, and having to take extra days off of work isn't exactly what I had planned for......

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Re: 2015 ITU World Championships Date Change [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here in Mexico we're paying close to $7K to inscribe (that is about $470USD) so i assume you guys have pricing already. or they're just gouging the foreigners?

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The city made it very clear to ITU last year how they felt about the race. Sure they want the event, but the city will dictate terms 100%. How long was it till ITU finally got the city to agree to the course route last year? And even then, they isolated the race to Columbus drive and Lower Wacker instead of the preferred route that included more of the downtown area. It would have been hilarious had Chicago actually won that Olympic bid instead of Rio. I could totally have seen them ordering the IOC around and telling them to go f' themselves if they dared disagree. Probably why they didn't win that bid, thank god.

Make no mistake, had the city wanted to make sure the Bears were out town that weekend, they could pushed the NFL to do it. The NFL does this for other cities all the time, think about those that share stadiums with other teams. The city just didn't care enough to tell them.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 ITU World Championships Date Change [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got pricing this morning - $440 for the sprint or $480 for the oly, $575 for both!
Quote Reply

Prev Next