Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2015 Cervelo line-up
Quote | Reply
My LBS said over the weekend that they'd have intel on the 2015 line-up in 2-weeks. Before I pick up a 2014 on sale, any insider scoops/rumours out there worth considering for 2015? We know of the R2 now, we know about 105 11-speed, but anything else (other than wild speculation and wishful thinking)?

Head down, thumbs up, give'r
@barrettdj
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Cervelo line-up [Deej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm very excited to see the new lineup! Love me some Cervelos

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious if the market pressures Cervelo to get into disc brake road bikes. Not that I want one, but it will be interesting if they are forced to offer something to compete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You haven't heard about the P6?
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Cervelo line-up [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
You haven't heard about the P6?

I don't know if you're joking, but I sort of assumed such a thing must be coming. We had the P5, S5, and R5. All three of them trickled down a bunch of tech into their respective 3s, which were then made with cheaper forks and turned into the 2s. That's been happening at the rate of a couple models per year. Now we have a 2, 3, and 5 of each of R, S, and P. I can't imagine they're going to sit on their hands next year. I wouldn't be surprised if a new model doesn't come until winter, but something has to be coming.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Cervelo line-up [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is funny to me because i just picked up a minty p2sl off the classifieds.
i'm going backwards, replacing my carbon bikes with Al.
anybody want a 2008 QR Caliente, size medium?

"...I try not to ever ride as slow as 20mph. ;) ... And even more than that, I don't race with a speedometer. My computer is set up to show Power // Cadence // Time. I don't actually ever know how fast I'm going. I only know that if I'm in 53/11, and it takes more than 100rpm to hit my target watts, it's time to coast." - Jordan Rapp on '09 IMC
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Cervelo line-up [cwg_at_opc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cwg_at_opc wrote:

That's funny to me. My last two have been steel -Salsa Fargo frameset and i just picked up a Black Mountain Cycles Road frameset. The one before that was a 2014 S3, however.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Expect a MTN-Qhubeka team bike (although maybe not right away):

http://www.cervelo.com/...5-575cce90f1ea-0.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Cervelo line-up [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i could be convinced to be satisfied with a new s3(or s2 ;-)
my other ride is a well used s1.
actually i got the p2sl so i could go fixed(horizontal dropouts FTW)

jmh wrote:
cwg_at_opc wrote:

That's funny to me. My last two have been steel -Salsa Fargo frameset and i just picked up a Black Mountain Cycles Road frameset. The one before that was a 2014 S3, however.

"...I try not to ever ride as slow as 20mph. ;) ... And even more than that, I don't race with a speedometer. My computer is set up to show Power // Cadence // Time. I don't actually ever know how fast I'm going. I only know that if I'm in 53/11, and it takes more than 100rpm to hit my target watts, it's time to coast." - Jordan Rapp on '09 IMC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a chance they make changes to the P series, given the major updates last year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard they're skipping the P6 and going straight to the P7-eleven.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Cervelo line-up [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would surprise me.

Think about it this way:

The S2 is the SAME bike as the S3, just a "cheaper" fork.
The P2 is the SAME bike as the P3, just a "cheaper" fork.
The R2 is the SAME bike as the R3, just a "cheaper" fork.

Then you've got the P5 (long term R and D), R5 (long term R and D), S5 (long term R and D).

For each of those three "super bikes" you've had trickle down technology affect the development of the "lower" bikes. For the "entry" level bikes, you still have that tech just with a different fork. All of the developments over the past year or so have cost Cervelo relatively little money yet they get a new price point structure and model lineup using mostly existing molds and technology.

This is all just speculation, I have no "insider" information. That being said, if a P5 update comes out in the next 8-12 months I'm gonna be pissed that I have to spend more money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One has to wonder what sort of gains are still on the table for something like the P5. I could see them retooling it slightly to help it at yaw or perhaps coming out with a few "integrated" accessories ala the Shiv's fuel cell.

IMO, the next frontier for "super bikes" will be rider comfort.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Cervelo line-up [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. Bikes are hitting the point now where I'm not sure how much more drag can be reduced. Engineers will always find a way to shed more drag but I don't think it will be significant like the gains from old bikes to new super bikes. Accessories, comfort, hydration, etc is the next frontier

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
That would surprise me.

Think about it this way:

The S2 is the SAME bike as the S3, just a "cheaper" fork.
The P2 is the SAME bike as the P3, just a "cheaper" fork.
The R2 is the SAME bike as the R3, just a "cheaper" fork.

Then you've got the P5 (long term R and D), R5 (long term R and D), S5 (long term R and D).

For each of those three "super bikes" you've had trickle down technology affect the development of the "lower" bikes. For the "entry" level bikes, you still have that tech just with a different fork. All of the developments over the past year or so have cost Cervelo relatively little money yet they get a new price point structure and model lineup using mostly existing molds and technology.

This is all just speculation, I have no "insider" information. That being said, if a P5 update comes out in the next 8-12 months I'm gonna be pissed that I have to spend more money.

I do wonder if there Cervelo is going to replace the P5 with a new bike also called a P5, instead of a P6. They may keep the top bike in a series the 5, then have the 3 and 2 be derivatives of that design, with the 2 having a cheaper fork.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Cervelo line-up [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, I think fit and comfort is the next frontier. You are starting to see this in the road bike lineups like the Specialized Tarmac which have different fits and ride characteristics across the size lineup.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Cervelo line-up [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering the P2 and P3 were just updated...there is no way this happens for at least a couple of years

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The next step is eliminating the drive train.

But kind of seriously:

I would love to see a disc with an internal Shimano Alfine Di2 hub (so no RD and no cassette) with a belt drivetrain and a single chainring up front (no FD). Would be pretty sweet. Would clean up the drive-side drag profile a bit perhaps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
I would love to see a disc with an internal Shimano Alfine Di2 hub (so no RD and no cassette) with a belt drivetrain and a single chainring up front (no FD). Would be pretty sweet. Would clean up the drive-side drag profile a bit perhaps.

Integrated the gearbox into the frame like this would given broader compatibility with existing wheels. The only problem is that planetary gearboxes (I'm 90% sure that's what most hub gearboxes are) are less efficient to the point that I highly doubt aero benefits could overcome this deficit. Let's say current setups are, on average, 97% efficient when averaging all the gear combinations. So 300w at the crank becomes 291w at the wheel. IIRC, Rohloff has the most efficient hubs on the market and their efficiency ranges from 90% to 98%. Call it 95% average. You have to now take into account a chain with a straight line connecting the hub to the crank so say 99%. So you're looking at 94% efficiency. 300w crank becomes 282w at the wheel or a 9w deficit to a conventional drivetrain. I highly doubt you're going to pick up 9w aero... actually I know you won't just looking at the yaw sweeps on bikes like the Speed Concept/existing P5.

That said, I still think it's a cool idea. One workaround would be mounting the crank directly to rear wheel, basically turning the rear dropouts into a bottom bracket. You'd have to use a through axle (which I'm in favor of anyways) and the wheel would have to be proprietary but it would help with weight distribution and maybe allow for a few cool aero tricks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Integrated the gearbox into the frame like this would given broader compatibility with existing wheels. The only problem is that planetary gearboxes (I'm 90% sure that's what most hub gearboxes are) are less efficient to the point that I highly doubt aero benefits could overcome this deficit. Let's say current setups are, on average, 97% efficient when averaging all the gear combinations. So 300w at the crank becomes 291w at the wheel. IIRC, Rohloff has the most efficient hubs on the market and their efficiency ranges from 90% to 98%. Call it 95% average. You have to now take into account a chain with a straight line connecting the hub to the crank so say 99%. So you're looking at 94% efficiency. 300w crank becomes 282w at the wheel or a 9w deficit to a conventional drivetrain. I highly doubt you're going to pick up 9w aero... actually I know you won't just looking at the yaw sweeps on bikes like the Speed Concept/existing P5.

I believe that those Rohloff numbers are the crank to wheel effeciency, this is because one of the gear ratios in the middle locks the gears in place. In this ratio the hub is no different than a normal hub and there is no power losse from the gears, because they are not moving relative to eachother. This is probably where the 98% efficient part is, it is less efficient on either end of that ratio. God help you if you are getting 90% efficiency during a climb though, because then someone on a normal drivetrain putting out 278 watts will be getting the same power to a wheel as you at 300.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Cervelo line-up [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
I agree, I think fit and comfort is the next frontier. You are starting to see this in the road bike lineups like the Specialized Tarmac which have different fits and ride characteristics across the size lineup.

You realise that the P5 already has the widest fit range among super bikes? And already has class leading comfort.

Tarmac differential layups are not a new concept. And the fit range of the Tarmac is still weak. The big move on the comfort front is frames fitting larger tyres.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Cervelo line-up [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The P5 and Trek SC do fit a very wide range of people. The comment was a more general where are bikes going type of comment. Fitting wider tires is one of those trends (see the new R2).

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would guess that weight will be the new aero for a lot of these superbikes.

They might not be able to make significant aero gains from this point on, but many of these bikes could go on a serious diet.

"Just as aero as a P5 but three pounds lighter" is a great marketing campaign, whether or not it has real performance benefits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello; i just picked up a 2014 P3 a couple weeks ago.
So far I am loving the bike...but i would be super jealous if the 2015 P3's came in solid black.

White is not my first choice of bike color...but the bike looks great in my opinion. Only thing is that the matte white is not the easiest to clean...heh

Quote Reply

Prev Next