Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2014 Cervelo P3 vs Felt DA3
Quote | Reply
I currently have a Felt AR4 and love it but want to get a dedicated Tri bike. I compete in 1/2 Iron and Olympic distance races. I usually post fairly fast times for using my road bike (with clip on aero bars) of around 22 to 23 mph. As I look to upgrade, I'm looking at two specific bikes: (1) 2014 Cervelo P3 Ultegra and (2) 2014 Felt DA3 Dura Ace. Here are the specifics:

2014 Cervelo P3
  1. Ultegra
  2. Base Wheels
  3. $3,550
  4. Aluminum aero bars

2014 Felt DA3
  1. Dura Ace
  2. Easton deep 72 mm wheels
  3. $4,500
  4. Felt carbon aero bars

The price is about $1,000 different which is a lot but I figure the Felt has about $3,000 worth of equipment upgrades in the components, wheels and bars. However, I'm most concerned about speed. I want a very fast bike and comfort is of secondary concern. The Felt will max out my budget, so buying the P3 and upgrading all of the components isn't really an option. Please let me know what your thoughts are on these two bikes and if you have another suggestion.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Cervelo P3 vs Felt DA3 [wbsii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say get the one that fits.
After that, I'd say go for the P3, and maybe some Flos, or used 404's. You'll still have spent less money than the felt, and you'll be on a pretty darn fast ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you comparing the DA3 because that is what your LBS has in stock? It seems like the DA4 might be a closer comparison with the P3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Off the top of my head geometry between the two is similar. Your best bet is probably the cervelo and buy a set of flo's. The upside to this is you can have a set of dedicated training wheels/tires.

Edit: don't forget an omega front brake ;)
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Mar 28, 14 8:05
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Cervelo P3 vs Felt DA3 [godseyt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Local shop has the DA3 and it has the upgraded wheels and components that still meets my budget. To get a P3 with Dura Ace would be roughly $5,300 and it wouldn't have the upgraded wheels. If Cervelo had something in between that was compatible with the DA3 then I would have included it. I am also very familiar with Felt, I've had 2 (but neither a tri bike) but I really like to lines on the Cervelo. Ideally, the local shop has a 2013 P5 Three Red for $5,100, if it was just a little lower I would be looking at that but as I was saying $4,500 is really my peak. I'm just concerned because the Felt does not look that fast (in comparison) and I can't really find any reviews on the 2014 DA3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I remember correctly the Kristin Armstrong won the gold at the London Olympics TT on a DA... So it is plenty fast.

Also the fit on the two bikes is very different. The felt is long and low vs the 2014 P3 which has a similar fit to the new generation of tri bikes shorter reach, higher stack.

wbsii wrote:
Local shop has the DA3 and it has the upgraded wheels and components that still meets my budget. To get a P3 with Dura Ace would be roughly $5,300 and it wouldn't have the upgraded wheels. If Cervelo had something in between that was compatible with the DA3 then I would have included it. I am also very familiar with Felt, I've had 2 (but neither a tri bike) but I really like to lines on the Cervelo. Ideally, the local shop has a 2013 P5 Three Red for $5,100, if it was just a little lower I would be looking at that but as I was saying $4,500 is really my peak. I'm just concerned because the Felt does not look that fast (in comparison) and I can't really find any reviews on the 2014 DA3.
Quote Reply