Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2013 Vuelta Thread (yes, there will be spoilers in spades)
Quote | Reply
Whom do you have for overall podium? What about some of the jerseys (not like they really matter)? Stages?

I'd like to see Joaquin Rodriguez to win. 2nd place to perhaps Nibbles. 3rd place to an Euskatel rider. Dark horse pick being Thomas DeGendt.

Would also like to see Pinot and Dan Martin do well. Hell, i've got Dan Martin penciled in to wear the rainbow stripes.

There's barely any flat stages in this year's race, which should make thing interesting.
Last edited by: echappist: Aug 24, 13 6:08
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Vuelta Thread (yes, there will be spoilers in spades) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pinot has my favorite tattoo in the peloton.

nibali, purito, valverde.

the vuelta and the giro are so much more exciting than the tour. shorter, harder stages and more fireworks.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Vuelta Thread (yes, there will be spoilers in spades) [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for sure. even the flatter stages are great for breakaways
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Vuelta Thread (yes, there will be spoilers in spades) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I predict that there will be numerous crashes involving Euskatel riders.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Vuelta Thread (yes, there will be spoilers in spades) [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh c'mon, that's below the belt :p. we aren't talking about riding on the Trouee Arenberg here
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Vuelta Thread (yes, there will be spoilers in spades) [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
who you guys got for tomorrow? somehow i wonder if the favorites want to take things over as they'll have to put their team to ride on the front from the get-go. Katusha got a bad experience from that last year, and i doubt they want to do it again.

perhaps a good stage for Dan Martin and Pinot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

> I'll throw out Stybar as my dark horse winner.

Damn, I was just a few days off!
Last edited by: trail: Aug 30, 13 8:59
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Vuelta Thread (yes, there will be spoilers in spades) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
forgive me but is the vuelta televised in the US?

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Vuelta Thread (yes, there will be spoilers in spades) [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Universal sport, it seems

-----

As for today. As good a day for Dan Martin as any. Also for Joaquim Rodriguez. And who knows, maybe Phil Gil might just get his first win...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vuelta is my favorite grand tour & definitely the most exciting- I was hoping Bein sports would carry it in the US, like they did with the Giro. I wanted to enjoy the Giro but the weather ruined that for me with canceled & shortened stages

My top 5
Purito for the win
Nibali 2nd
Uran 3rd
Valverde 4th
Horner 5th Yes!!! finally an american to cheer for in the Vuelta

Is there a fantasy league like the one for TDF, I made a team already on velogames
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Vuelta Thread (yes, there will be spoilers in spades) [ChrisC42780] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a ending
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Vuelta Thread (yes, there will be spoilers in spades) [ChrisC42780] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that was unexpected, to say the least

Chapeau to the old man. Hell, he may even be the oldest stage winner at the Vuelta
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not enjoyed a jersey ceremony as much as today

Chapeau to Horner!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why was it unexpected? He TOLD you!

Man has a power meter, he knows!

echappist wrote:
that was unexpected, to say the least

Chapeau to the old man. Hell, he may even be the oldest stage winner at the Vuelta

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Vuelta Thread (yes, there will be spoilers in spades) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wait, did he predict this? do you happen to have a link to the said prediction?

This year's Vuelta's gonna make up a good bit of the stuff i watch on my roller in the upcoming winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
wait, did he predict this? do you happen to have a link to the said prediction?

“With that mountain stage tomorrow, maybe I can take the jersey. We rode today also thinking about tomorrow,” Horner said after the stage. “I haven’t raced in Europe in five months. The legs are good. The form’s there. I can dream about taking the jersey tomorrow.”

http://velonews.competitor.com/...-after-sunday_300221

http://

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Nobody's constipated on race morning
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Vuelta Thread (yes, there will be spoilers in spades) [ZippityDuDah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Vuelta Thread (yes, there will be spoilers in spades) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Even before that he said he could win the Vuelta:

http://velonews.competitor.com/...to-the-vuelta_299936

He's delusional.....you don't suddenly develop into a GT contender @ 41. He has never once contended for a GC position in a GT. and if he does contend for the overall, there will be other reasons......like "15" of them. Wink

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Vuelta Thread (yes, there will be spoilers in spades) [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You say he is delusional.
But he just took the lead.
So..whatever.

Power13 wrote:
jackmott wrote:

He's delusional.....you don't suddenly develop into a GT contender @ 41. He has never once contended for a GC position in a GT. and if he does contend for the overall, there will be other reasons......like "15" of them. Wink

Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Vuelta Thread (yes, there will be spoilers in spades) [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just want to know what he got put in his leg during surgery that let him compete at the Vuelta with 3 weeks of training after 5 months of the bike.

Super impressive performance today. They won't let him slip away like that ever again, I'm sure.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Vuelta Thread (yes, there will be spoilers in spades) [Creatre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More like 3 months of training after 5 weeks off the bike. You are a little off :)

Not saying there aren't possibly extra helpers involved, of the pharm variety, but yeah.

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
jackmott wrote:

"Old age and treachery beats youth and skill..." ;-)
He DID place 9th at the 2009 Tour despite flogging himself early on for his team captain (who shall not be named)...
And he has had some success in the shorter Spanish tours (Tour of the Basque Country, Tour de Catayuna).

Still, have to wonder if this was a one-off victory-of-opportunity and whether he can back it up consistently over the next 17 dayss.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Vuelta Thread (yes, there will be spoilers in spades) [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The extra helpers for him the last 3 years, which include a 9th in the tour de france while carrying water bottles for team mates, and 1st in the tour of california in 2011, may be that every else has less pharm help.

Physiojoe925 wrote:
More like 3 months of training after 5 weeks off the bike. You are a little off :)

Not saying there aren't possibly extra helpers involved, of the pharm variety, but yeah.

-Physiojoe

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
You say he is delusional.
But he just took the lead.
So..whatever.

Power13 wrote:
jackmott wrote:

'Cuz taking the lead on day 3 is clearly the same thing as winning the Vuelta. OK, then.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is contending, like he said he would.

Power13 wrote:
'Cuz taking the lead on day 3 is clearly the same thing as winning the Vuelta. OK, then.

Quote Reply

Prev Next