Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2013 Oceanside 70.3 thread
Quote | Reply
Starting to get stoked about the first race of the year. I am 1 pound away from goal weight of 185, one week to go. That will be 20# lighter than 2012. And 50# lighter than 2011.

Too soon to talk about weather? Where's Jay?????? Looks like we may have rain, showers, wind, sun and/or clouds. IOW the typical March forecast 10 days out.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Oceanside 70.3 thread [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good job on the weight....i am not anywhere near fighting weight but I hope to do as well as I did last year...hopefully a few minutes faster!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris, congrats on the weight. Yup, been following the weather forecast its all over the place. I'm not in the shape I was last year but looking forward to racing. Gonna go for my first open water swim tomorrow, ocean temp up here is 58.

Good luck to all racing.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20lbs down from 2012, NICE!!!

I've been praying to the Weather Gods, I do NOT want a repeat of last years weather. My feet/toes were numb the entire bike (ohh is that legitimate excuse to blame on my slow time! ;-)

Looking forward to the 30th!!!

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This morning's National Weather Service long-term, which is probably 20% accurate at this point:

Toward the end of the week...the current forecast leans toward the ensemble means of the GFS and European model (ecmwf). This would be in between with regard to amplitude and timing between the faster GFS and slower European model (ecmwf). Southwest flow aloft would tap subtropical moisture to bring increasing middle and high clouds for Thursday into Friday with chances for precipitation late Friday into Saturday.

Bring those galoshes!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Oceanside 70.3 thread [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remind me again why I am going out of my way to get Canadian spring racing weather? See you guys there. Chris, congrats on the weight loss. I think I am in the right weight range, just lack swim and bike miles!
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Oceanside 70.3 thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm down to my racing weight (150) but with the forecast I wouldn't mind a bit of extra insulation.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Oceanside 70.3 thread [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
55 degrees, that will be quite chilly! I'm sure it was warmer last year when weather actually felt totally perfect.

I will be there also, trying to escape Ohio weather.

Quote | Reply
If weather forecast holds what are you all planning on wearing during the bike? It seems it will be quite cold and wet. Any recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Oceanside 70.3 thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, this is what my bike looked like after last year's race, so I guess she's used to it.

We oughta share our good tips for guys like dev and the other out of towners

Swim - Bring an old pair of flip flops. Painful standing on that ashphalt for the 1/2 hour to hour you'll be waiting in the que

On the return leg, use the lifeguards on the boards as your buoys and swim as far right as possible.

Bike - There are huge industrial sized white road dots at the entrance to the base at the Del Mar gate (right out of T1) and the exit at Las Pulgas, about 13-15 miles in. Lots of bottles go flying there.

Just after exiting the base at the Las Pulgas turnaround, there is a sharp - i mean more than 90 degree - right turn at the bottom of the hill, likely to be gravel there. Careful at the turn, it's tricky.

The section from this turn to the campground sucks. the pavement for the most part is awful all over the road. It's a several lanes-wide section, the bike path sucks, the asphalt sucks. Rode it 2 weeks ago, seems to be a nice section of pavement in the middle I am going to try to ride. Then you get to the smoothest part, the old concrete runway. Then it gets shitty again. And this whole section seems like it should be flat but it's a gentle uphill grade.

If you need a bathroom on the front side, skip the portapotties if there's a line, there are tons of bathrooms in the campground section

The first no pass zone is just after the san onofre power plant (the two boobies) right when you get on the Trestles bike path. For later waves, try to see who is in front of you and if someone is clearly slower than you, maybe work a little harder to pass before entering the no pass zone. It's longer than you think it's gonna be, and it's a little steep, so people tend to slow waaaaaaaayyyyyy down. The second no pass zone, theoretically everyone is going 25 mph. The last no pass zone is along the strand near the end. Same deal, see who is ahead as you cross the bridge and act accordingly.

The second bottle hand off is right before the first big climb mile 32 ish. Consider not taking a full bottle here or getting rid of most f it before the climbing. You have to get to about mile 45-47 for the next station.

The section between the first big descent and the second climb is a mind fuck, especially if there is any wind. I always feel the worst here, as it's a steady false flat and elevation gain.

Hills are over at mile 42. It's very fast back to the turn on Vandegrift and you can make up time here, until you hit the headwind. The ability to still be in aero in the last 5-10 miles is huge. You will see lots of people sitting up.

After the strand no pass section there is a sharp little uphill to T2. May want to still be in your shoes for that.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Mar 22, 13 10:15
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Oceanside 70.3 thread [Leo23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leo23 wrote:
If weather forecast holds what are you all planning on wearing during the bike? It seems it will be quite cold and wet. Any recommendations?

Still deciding. Last year wore arm warmers with tri top, and never felt cold. If it's actually raining, will consider anything from a jersey over the top to a rain cape (unlikely)

Bigger thing will be an extra plastic bag in the T2 bag, if it rains Friday night, stuff's gonna get wet if you dropped it off.

Still planning on no rain though :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about putting everything in zip lock bags (i.e shoes, socks, etc).

Are you putting your arm warmers in T1 or under wetsuit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leo23 wrote:
I was thinking about putting everything in zip lock bags (i.e shoes, socks, etc).

Honestly, at T2 you could probably put everything in a sealed tupperware box... saw someone do that last year.

Last year I put the warmers on in t1. took a few seconds, but they were dry. If it's truly raining, all my time goals are really secondary to comfort
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Living in snow country....I like to use those little hand warmers my family uses when we ski and put those inside my cycling shoes near the toe, when I get to T1 in the morning.

After the swim I have toasty shoes when I put them on. I then throw those in my cycling jersey pocket and when my hands get cold I reach back and grab those and hold them. I keep rubber bands on my aerobars to attach them if it's really cold. An easy way to keep body parts warm.

CJ
Slow, Old, Ironman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it's not much but the Newman just said Friday we could see the biggest storm of the winter season.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Oceanside 70.3 thread [mallaire1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, ha! Perfect! Well, if the storm came Friday, that would leave Saturday clear and breezy from the NW. That equals colder water and a bastard of a headwind for the last 10 miles of the bike.

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Oceanside 70.3 thread [HeyCJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a toe warmer user too. I have pretty bad Raynaud's and my toes and front half of my feet will be absolutely numb by the time I get out the of water, I use the bike leg for my feet to warm up in time to run!

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update as of 8pm, March 22nd:

By late Friday or Saturday models are all indicating a low pressure trough will deepen offshore and approach socal. Southwest flow aloft ahead of the system should tap some subtropical moisture... increasing middle and high clouds by Thursday. Timing and strength remain uncertain...but given the broad model consensus in this timeframe... confidence is high enough to bump probability of precipitation up for Friday night/Sat. So looks like the end of the month could be wet with fairly high snow levels.

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, lookin like a good storm Fri-Sat. I think all the old 60-64 guys should stay warm and dry at home.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leo23 wrote:

Last year (and this year at Alcatraz) i swam with arm warmers under the wetsuit. It's a pain putting them on when your arms are wet and hands are cold. They dry quick (as quick as your tri suit will).

55 degrees is chilly, but not bad if you have arm warmers. Last year it was 60...

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess a rainstorm for the 2013 Ironman CA Oceanside 70.3 is payback from the Ironman Gods for the perfect weather at the 2012 Ironman Arizona.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Oceanside 70.3 thread [aztri81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too bad the race wasn't today, it's freakin gorgeous outside. I just did my final tune up for next week and the waether is so nice I wanted to go longer! 62, sunny, nary a hint of breeze

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Oceanside 70.3 thread [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The calm before the storm. :)
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Oceanside 70.3 thread [mrtrik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtrik wrote:
It's a pain putting them on when your arms are wet and hands are cold.

Easy to put on arm warmers if you roll them up like a condom. I leave mine on my aerobars rolled up that way. Then, I only have to get the rolled up arm warmer over my hand and onto my wrist, and then roll it up the arm while I'm riding.

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Oceanside 70.3 thread [aztri81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aztri81 wrote:
I guess a rainstorm for the 2013 Ironman CA Oceanside 70.3 is payback from the Ironman Gods for the perfect weather at the 2012 Ironman Arizona.

Yeah, I guess it's time for another rainy race! I did IMLP in 2008, which was horrendous in terms of rain, so after that, nothing fazes me! :)

------------------
Quote Reply

Prev Next