Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2011 Cervelo P1
Quote | Reply
I've done a few olympic distance tri's on my Cannondale CAAD 10 105 bike. I just signed up for my first full length tri in May of next year and i've been looking around at getting clip on aero bars or a TT bike. I have an option to get a 2011 Cervelo P1 for $400. Will I be happy with 10 speed ultegra components with an aluminum frame TT bike or should I just get clip ons for my current bike of about equivalent components but with 11 speed?
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Cervelo P1 [GOAT12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Trek with 105 11 speed and a P2C Ultegra 10 speed. My Cervelo is carbon, so it's not exactly the same situation, but my Cervelo is faster than my Trek with clip ons. For training I use the Trek mostly. On rides with steep climbs (+10%) the 11 speed is easier for me (but not overall faster on 50mile+ rides).

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For 400 I'd say go for it. A dedicated tt or tri bike is faster than a road with clip ons. More comfortable geometry too for tri (could get special seatpost for roadie to steepen seat angle but still, I say go for the P1). Plus, for a full distance race, you will want to be able to shift from the extensions. I raced sprints on a road bike with clip ons when I started the sport, and getting my first tri bike idk how I ever tolerated moving my hands from extension to hood every time I wanted to shift.

If the gear ratio isn't enough, maybe there are some different cassettes you can get, probably easy to find on eBay. Or heck, of you love the bike I'm sure you could get 11 speed 105 5800 or 7000 parts for a couple hundred bucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this new user is apparently a scammer. if i'm wrong, i'll revise this. just, beware.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still riding a 2009 Cervelo P1. I've changed the 12-25 cassettes to a 11-28, and I've replaced the front 50-34 front rings with 52-36, for better top speed. I've also got Flo 90s on it. Its a good old bike, and I'm still winning my age group in all my local tris. It's beat a lot of carbon, and I have no intention of replacing it anytime soon.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I belive the P1 was the same bike as the P2 in aluminum (P2K and/or P2-SL) once they started making the P2 in carbon.

It's a great bike. I've had a P2K and still have my P2-SL, which is now a full time Zwift/trainer bike. Not a lot of difference between the al and the carbon, in geometry, handling, or weight, just a little different "road feel," between the two.

I'd have no problem doing a full IM on that bike. Other than a bit more vibration from the aluminum, which you can mitigate quite a bit with the right saddle, bars, wheels, and position, it'll hold its own against pretty much anything else on the racks, as long as you put the work in.

And Ultegra 10 is a great group. Really no need to change anything there. I agree with the above, too, that an 11-28 will pretty much work on any course, although a 12-25 is pretty good as well.
Last edited by: dpd3672: Oct 12, 20 16:49
Quote Reply