Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2008 zipp 404 gave up the ghost
Quote | Reply
Don’t remember this being broken last time i rode my 2008 P2 bike (about a year ago i have been into SwimRuns these days), but luckily I noticed the cracked front hub on the zipp 404s while cleaning up the pain cave. Worth rebuilding these 12 year old wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: 2008 zipp 404 gave up the ghost [Pmth95] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A good front hub costs about nothing. If the rim is fine, IMO yes it's fine to have it built again and ride it.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on the generation of zipp wheel that you have, but zipp has a recall on pretty much all of the front hubs made for a few years after 2007 or 2008. If this includes your hub, zipp will replace it (and rebuild your wheel with new spokes) for free. They did it for us on a bunch of front wheels that we had.

If your hub is one under this recall (this includes several generations of silver, gray, and black anodized front zipp hubs), l would for sure have the hub replaced. More info about this here:

https://www.cpsc.gov/...aign=All+Recalls+RSS

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: 2008 zipp 404 gave up the ghost [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Depends on the generation of zipp wheel that you have, but zipp has a recall on pretty much all of the front hubs made for a few years after 2007 or 2008. If this includes your hub, zipp will replace it (and rebuild your wheel with new spokes) for free. They did it for us on a bunch of front wheels that we had.

If your hub is one under this recall (this includes several generations of silver, gray, and black anodized front zipp hubs), l would for sure have the hub replaced. More info about this here:

https://www.cpsc.gov/...aign=All+Recalls+RSS

My experience with ZIPP warranty over the last few years is they replace absolutely NOTHING for free. The best I’ve been able to get out of them for a customer with a month old 404 that the hub self destructed on was crash replacement pricing even though the issue was not from a crash but from zipps poor manufacturing.

I have since ordered ENVE wheels for this customer as they actually stand behind their products

ig - @servicecourse_evv
Quote Reply
Re: 2008 zipp 404 gave up the ghost [ProWrench84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might be right about zipp/sram's warranty service, l can't agree or disagree about that.

But these front hubs are no longer under any warranty, they are under a CPSC recall, which is a very different thing. And that recall will, as far as l know, stand for rest of the hubs' service lives.

Based on this recall, zipp MUST replace the hubs, and replace them at zero cost.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Dec 6, 20 5:06
Quote Reply
Re: 2008 zipp 404 gave up the ghost [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info on the recall. I checked and my hub doesn’t look like the one described in the recall document. I’ll try calling them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well worth rebuilding. I've had a front (aluminium brake track, silver hub) and a rear (firecrest, black hub) just crack while sitting in the pain cave during the off season. Both rebuilt and still going strong.
Quote Reply
Re: 2008 zipp 404 gave up the ghost [sheene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sheene wrote:
Well worth rebuilding. I've had a front (aluminium brake track, silver hub) and a rear (firecrest, black hub) just crack while sitting in the pain cave during the off season. Both rebuilt and still going strong.

@sheene: rebuilt using zipp hubs or alternative? thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pmth95 wrote:
Thanks for the info on the recall. I checked and my hub doesn’t look like the one described in the recall document. I’ll try calling them

Yes, but the recall has since publication been expanded to additional models of zipp front hubs, so yes l would definitely call them. They are pretty good about this, as sram/zip are pretty anxious about getting these recalled hubs off the roads.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp hubs. I had them rebuilt with new spokes. Talk to a wheel builder about options to rebuild using other hubs. I have no idea what availability of replacement Zipp hubs would be like or if the current hubs could be used. I’d imagine they could if spoke count is the same.
Quote Reply