Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2004 KM40 & Kestrel ?
Quote | Reply
Everyone keeps posting that Kestrel's redoing the KM40 for 2004 - 700c, more sizes, etc. Is there any information available on net or do I just need to sit tight?
Quote Reply
Re: 2004 KM40 & Kestrel ? [lobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been bugging Kestrel and my LBS over last few weeks and all they would tell me is that the new road bike would come out first, then the revised KM40. Many details still to be worked out but I believe the 700 will be available in size 54 and up. It is a multi-piece bonded frame like Talon. Should be lighter and less expensive than current model (better be cheaper considering what they pay Chinese labor!). Won't be available until late spring. If all goes well they will have proto available at Interbike next month so hold off a few weeks.

One other interesting bit of info from Kestrel. One of their employees told me they actually have had fewer warranty problems with the Chinese built Talon than they did with Watsonville built 200/300's. I have an older 200EMS that was actually made in Japan when Kestrel built bikes there in early to mid 90's and they said those were the most dependable of all. As much as I would like to say US built carbon fiber bikes are the best, I don't think you lose much with the Asian products. They don't necessarily know how to design a bike but their manufacturing acumen is beyond question. I guess it better be since pretty much everything in the US is going there anyway!! (whole other topic...). They actually have shut down all US manufacturing and moved everything to Asia. Kind of sad but just a macrocosm of what is going on in American manufacturing these days.
Quote Reply
Re: 2004 KM40 & Kestrel ? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"As much as I would like to say US built carbon fiber bikes are the best, I don't think you lose much with the Asian products. They don't necessarily know how to design a bike but their manufacturing acumen is beyond question."

Exactly. While Calfee and Parlee are probably the best makers of carbon fiber frames, nobody can do it as quickly, cheaply, or efficiently as the Taiwanese. The Chinese are getting pretty darn good, too. Unless you're a small custom builder, or a juggernaut like Trek, you'd better have somebody on your staff who speaks Chinese if you want to make it in the bike industry these days.
Quote Reply
Re: 2004 KM40 & Kestrel ? [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Exactly. While Calfee and Parlee are probably the best makers of carbon fiber frames, nobody can do it as quickly, cheaply, or efficiently as the Taiwanese. The Chinese are getting pretty darn good, too. Unless you're a small custom builder, or a juggernaut like Trek, you'd better have somebody on your staff who speaks Chinese if you want to make it in the bike industry these days.
Quote Reply
Re: 2004 KM40 & Kestrel ? [lobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The information I have is there are going to be some big changes at Kestrel for '04. Ihave heard many rumors, none credible enough to report. It will be ne of my first stops at Interbike in Las Vegas on October 10-13th. I am really looking forward to it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2004 KM40 & Kestrel ? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually... from my inside information, the KM40 will be available in the sort-of standard sizes from 48-60 and will be 650/700 depending on frame size.
Quote Reply