Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2004 Blade vs TiPhoon??
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts / reviews on the 2004 Blade? Seems lighter and more streamlined. Better bet or still one for the big guys (per Bikesports old review).

Tom D - have you seen one yet? Build any better than previous models?

Have also been looking at the QR TiPhoon, which I guess is similar to the 2003 Blade but appears to have external cable routing (different to the Blade) - any views on this either, or is it Blade above TiPhoon every time?
Last edited by: sticky: Dec 31, 03 0:26
Quote Reply
Re: 2004 Blade [sticky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Any thoughts / reviews on the 2004 Blade? Seems lighter and more streamlined. Better bet or still one for the big guys (per Bikesports old review).

Have also been looking at the QR TiPhoon, which I guess is similar to the 2003 Blade but appears to have external cable routing (different to the Blade) - any views on this either, or is it Blade above TiPhoon every time?

Hi,
I have a 2003 Blade. It has external cable routing. The 2002 Blade had internal cable routing (which Tom didn't like).

regards,
Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Last edited by: Bavarian_Frank: Dec 30, 03 6:21
Quote Reply
Re: 2004 Blade [Bavarian_Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.....Just seen an old post by Slowman saying Tiphoon is superior to Blade. Any thoughts as to why? I can see a more tri specific geometry on the Tiphoon but it seems heavier and not as slick (comparing '04 models)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks.....Just seen an old post by Slowman saying Tiphoon is superior to Blade. Any thoughts as to why? I can see a more tri specific geometry on the Tiphoon but it seems heavier and not as slick (comparing '04 models)?

Hi,
I remember a TiPhoon review from Dan in triathlete magazine where he called the Tiphoon the "Blade junior". He said he would prefer the Tiphoon as it was not as expensive as the Blade. To be honest I also wanted a Tiphoon because of the very high price of the Blade - but - a Tiphoon was very difficult to get here in Germany and my local dealer made me a very good price for a Blade so I took the Litespeed bike. I've never regretted buying the Blade and am a happy titanium rider now - sooner or later I'll buy a normal roadrace bike (maybe Tuscany) from Litespeed as I'm really convinced of the high quality of my bike.

regards,
Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Last edited by: Bavarian_Frank: Dec 30, 03 7:46
Quote Reply
Re:blade vs tiphoon [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks frank.... checked out uk prices and blade and tiphoon are the same for 2004. anyone have a view on 2004 models and relative merits of blade vs tiphoon...... as mentioned earlier 04 blade appears slicker and sexier than 03 model and may have surpassed the tiphoon.

does slowman have an opinion?
Quote Reply
Re: Re:blade vs tiphoon [sticky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Tiphoon 2004...I can't compare with the new blade but the tiphoon truly is a great bike.
It's pretty aero, very light for a TT bike, the Ouzo fork is completing this very nicely.
Also the Tiphoon has a rear wheel cutout with horitontal dropouts, but with the screws that can be adjusted without removing the wheel (as the head of the screw comes inside the rear triangle ) which helps the final rear wheel adjustements quite a bit.

my first Ti bike, and it's really nice to ride, much more comfie that aluminium (at least those I had ridden in the past).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the 2003 typhoon which is the same as the 2004 Typhoon mius the crappy decals. I too noticed the new blade which is much better then the 2003 Blade; however, in doing a little research I learned that the mast of the blade is still bigger then the Typhoon even though in the pictures they look the same and the bike is still heavier then the Typhoon even though they list them both as the same weight. My belief is that the Blade is still a 'big mans" bike. They are moving in the right direction and it isn't as much of a boat anchor as it used to be. My advice is to find a shop with both bikes and try them out. Pound for pound and dollar for dollar, you can not go wrong with the Typhoon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IN REPLY TO:

"Have also been looking at the QR TiPhoon, which I guess is similar to the 2003 Blade but appears to have external cable routing (different to the Blade) - any views on this either, or is it Blade above TiPhoon every time?"

I have a new 2004 QR Tiphoon. It has internal cable routing. New for this model year. Totally awesome ride! Got an unbelievable deal at www.bikefarmer.com. Ask for Jeremy.

Team Endurance Nation
Last edited by: QuintanaRooster: Dec 30, 03 23:36
Quote Reply
Re: Tiphoon vs Blade [Greg Hartman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg, not sure I understand when you say 'mast' - are you refering to the seat tube. Also, not sure why the QR would be lighter? I like the geometry on tht QR's, the shorter top tube suits me well but if I buy a Tiphoon, I don't want to be buying a poor imitation of the Blade. They are the same price in the UK, so the Tiphoon would need to be at least as good....

I have the Litespeed and QR brochures for 2004 and the Blade looks more refined & trimmed down. The 04 Tiphoon looks like last years Blade - is it?? My LBS has an O3 Tiphoon in stock and I was pleasantly surprised by the weight and looks. I note Tom D says the Blade is a big mans bike - if so, then why is the QR not considered a big mans bike??

Thanks for your help...
Quote Reply
Re: Tiphoon vs Blade [sticky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the Tiphoon and Blade are the same price, I would get the Blade. Just make sure you get the right size - you will probably need one size smaller than normal with the Blade (I ride a 58 cm road bike but would ride a 55 cm Blade). Good luck with your puchase - you can't go wrong with either.
Quote Reply
Re: 2004 Blade [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the tiphoon 2004 does not have internal routing cables...unless mine is a 2003 and they didn't tell me... :-)
If you look at the pix. on the website, there are
"oeillets" to protect the frame from the cable sliding on it, close to the direction tube...why would you put this for internal routing cables?
You can also see it close to the seat tube for the rear brake.
The blade 2004 however has irc.
Quote Reply
Re: 2004 Blade [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude. I beg to differ. You must've been taken by your dealer. I have one of the first Tiphoons off the 2004 production line. It has internal cable routing. I don't care what you see in the pictures. Call QR themselves.

Cock-A-Doodle-Doo!

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi sticky,

if I'd have to decide between a 2004 Blade or a 2004 TiPhoon at equal price I'd flip a coin.

Seriously, it's probably an emotional decision. Both bikes come from the same facility in Chattanooga (sp?) and are made from the same workers. If person A buys the QR and person B buys the L'speed its just because of the look of the bike or the image of the brand. QR is more of a triathlon brand and has the smell of Dan (sorry Dan, no pun intended) while L'speed is more a normal roadbike company which makes also some triathlon bikes. Here in Germany both brands are exotic and eyecatchers because you see only Principia and Cube bikes. So buy the bike which looks nicer/better/faster in your eyes (and of course as its always said here: buy the bike that fits).

regards and happy new year

Frank

Last edited by: Bavarian_Frank: Dec 31, 03 9:25
Quote Reply
Re: 2004 Blade [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
then, I must have been taken by QR themselves...
as I got it direct...hmmm...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This came directly from American Bicycle Group. The mast as they refer to it is basically the down tube. I spoke with a lightspeed tech to ensure I did not just get the QR reps spin. Both agreed that the Lightspeed is a bit beefier and is definately heavier. The pictures are decieving as it looks much sleeker then the Tiphoon. They even indicated that the top tube while tapered is no more thiner at the seat tube then the QR. That being said, I still think the 2003/2004 Tiphoon is a better bike. I think that if you are 5'9" or taller and weigh over 165 you will probable be fine on the Blade (this is in not my opinion of a "big man") but IMHO if you are over 190 then you should definately go with the Blade. As far as refined...both bikes are made by the same guys down in Tenn. and the only difference is that the Lightspeed logo may carry more name recognition and prestige which I do not care about. I also have to jump in on the internal cable routing post that the new Tiphoon does not have internally routed cables and most people will tell you that the Blade's internal routing is not the best. The main point is that the folks down in Tenn are real easy to talk to and you should give them a holler or e-mail them with your specs and they will steer you straight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks Greg! (knowing that I had it directly from QR, I was pretty sure...)

regardless, the tiphoon is a GREAT bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This came directly from American Bicycle Group. The mast as they refer to it is basically the down tube. I spoke with a lightspeed tech to ensure I did not just get the QR reps spin. Both agreed that the Lightspeed is a bit beefier and is definately heavier. The pictures are decieving as it looks much sleeker then the Tiphoon. They even indicated that the top tube while tapered is no more thiner at the seat tube then the QR. That being said, I still think the 2003/2004 Tiphoon is a better bike. I think that if you are 5'9" or taller and weigh over 165 you will probable be fine on the Blade (this is in not my opinion of a "big man") but IMHO if you are over 190 then you should definately go with the Blade. As far as refined...both bikes are made by the same guys down in Tenn. and the only difference is that the Lightspeed logo may carry more name recognition and prestige which I do not care about. I also have to jump in on the internal cable routing post that the new Tiphoon does not have internally routed cables and most people will tell you that the Blade's internal routing is not the best. The main point is that the folks down in Tenn are real easy to talk to and you should give them a holler or e-mail them with your specs and they will steer you straight.

Francois and yourself must be smoking crack or something or I must have purchased an imposter QR Tiphoon. I have a new 2004 Tiphoon, 55cm w/700c wheelset with internal cable routing. I can send you guys a digital picture of my bike if you doubt me. Bottom line is, one of us got a raw deal or you guys have leftover Tiphoons.

Cock-A-Doodle-Doo!

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Re: 2004 Blade vs TiPhoon?? [sticky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's an email that I received from Tom Demerly that is a great mini-review of the Blade, Saber, and Tiphoon:

I've paid close attention to the Saber, Blade and Tiphoon over the past two to three years. The Blade formerly had more than its share of problems: Excessively heavy, very harsh ride, lots of mechanical complications and poor cable routing. These negative attributes combined to make for a relatively poor ownership experience especially when you consider the cost.

I am pleased to report the newest version of the Blade, the 2004 Blade,has been greatly upgraded. It is a substantial improvement over previous model years in all areas. It is still an expensive bike, but now it is worth it in my opinion. Basically, everything that was wrong with it has been corrected.

The Saber has always been a home run. The newest version especially so. A person who is a little larger, more powerful and likely to be racing on primarily flat terrain will want a Blade over a Saber. A person on a smaller frame size who may be doing some climbing will want a Saber for its lighter weight, greater comfort and lower cost also.

The Tiphoon generally has a shorter top tube across the board than the Saber or the Blade. It is somewhere in between the Blade and Saber on the "stiffness/weight" scale. We sell the Tiphoon to people, including larger women, who have short torsos. If you have a longer torso the Blade or Saber may do the trick.

If you are shopping for an all-out, pull out all the stops, price is no object tri bike it is hard to beat the new 2004 Blade. It is a very good bike but for a lot of money. If you don't mind paying for it, it is worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tiphoon vs Blade [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My apologies...you are correct at least partially. The guys at QR told me there were no changes to this years bike except for the decals. My 2003 bike was in the shop for a bad seat tube that continued to bind on my seatpost. They repaired it and did me one better...they sent me a new 04 Tiphoon which came into the shop today. I spoke with the LBS mechanic and he opened the box and indicated that it does have internal cable routing (down tube and top tube not chain stay) and he says they did a very good job with it. For those who think the blade is better then the tiphoon all I can say is that yes it is great for flat courses but who rides nothing but flat courses..not me. IMHO the typhoon is the better bike no matter what the price. People pay more for the blade because of the name, nothing more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been in close contact with QR's very knowledgeable staff, and it seems that the internal cable system in question is a running change that QR made in the late fall of this year. A small number of 2004 Tiphoon's will have the external system, however models in production are and will all be into the future internally routed.

Regarding the mast & down tube portion of the models, the Blade employs a tear drop shape, while the Tiphoon continues with its more aero profile. The weight of the two models is nearly identical resulting from similar amount of material, with a head on profile between the two bikes.

I hope this helps clear up any questions...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me clear the air on the 2004 Tiphoon with internal cable routing. I personally called QR and talked to one of their reps. named George. He informed me that I wasn't crazy and indeed they did go to internal cable routing. However, there were a few early production 2004 Tiphoons delivered in August, September, and October this year that were not internally cable routed. He told me that they had simply not gone to the new design during the early production. So, for those of you with 2004s without internal cable routing, this is why. Bottom line is, with or without internal routing, I think all of you Tiphoon owners will agree that the Tiphoon is one awesome bike.

Cock-A-Doodle-Doo!

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
on this we agree....
got the bike early nov. so probably one of the last with external routing...in any case, it's a kick ass bike...can't recommend it enough!
Quote Reply
Re: Tiphoon vs Blade [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all - seems the consensus is for the tiphoon (if it fits!)... I'm going to arrange a fitting at an LBS earl in the new year.

One final Q - on the issue of weight - is the tiphoon/blade too heavy for a race like Nice or a tough course like Lanzarote? In which case you start looking at the saber - but I am not a fan of that carbon rear end (nor the baggage men at the airport!)

happy new year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks all - seems the consensus is for the tiphoon (if it fits!)... I'm going to arrange a fitting at an LBS earl in the new year.

One final Q - on the issue of weight - is the tiphoon/blade too heavy for a race like Nice or a tough course like Lanzarote? In which case you start looking at the saber - but I am not a fan of that carbon rear end (nor the baggage men at the airport!)

happy new year!
Hi sticky,
have you ever been to Lanzarote? I've been there several times and let me tell you .... very bad roads ... very strong wind ... very tough course ... lots of drunken british people all around the island.

regards,
Frank

Last edited by: Bavarian_Frank: Jan 1, 04 7:43
Quote Reply
Re: Tiphoon vs Blade [Bavarian_Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah - been to lanzarote. Next time I visit will be do the IM - but will it be with a Tiphoon??

Frank would you use your blade in Lanz....
Quote Reply

Prev Next