Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 1x Chainring availability [marcofoils] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did the 54T work? Still issues with noise? What other drivetrain components were you running with that setup?
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have now been running our own chain rings for a while, however, the Stone rings work ok, the Garbaruk are the loud ones where two teeth needed a bit of dremeling. My 1x setup is nothing fancy, CN-HG901 and RD-6800 short cage. If you want to test the Stone 54T in 110BCD, PM me and I can send you a lightly used ring for a good price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. The Garbaruk 50t on my Shiv and 36t on my F-Si are both very quiet 🤷🏼‍♂️
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have any of these 54t 110bcd rings available?

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not at the moment, however, you are not the only one asking. We are looking into producing a small batch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, keep me on the list!

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
marcofoils wrote:

I have now ordered a Stone 54T (ebay, aliexpress...). The chainrings look ok and are available up to 60T. Does somebody have any experience with them?

I have one in a 56, works great. No chain drops so far, but it is a little noisy when in lower gears on the cassette.

Question on the Stone chainring: did you get the narrow-wide version? And is it essentially a double-chainring with NW teeth, or is it offset slightly like an x-sync to allow better chainline?

I'm thinking about going 1x on my 650-wheeled TT bike, and I'm leaning toward using a 58T (currently have a double, with a 55T).
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I have the narrow wide ring. It worked great and I never dropped a chain last year but I only did a few races before I got sick. It is. A little noisy when you cross chain it to the lower gears though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gene was asking about the ring offset, you did not answer
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
gene was asking about the ring offset, you did not answer
How do I tell if it’s offset? I’ll take a look when I get home and post back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bad. I will be shocked if the ring is actually offset (to my knowledge, SRAM is the only one that does so), but it should be reasonably obvious from a visual inspection.

In the image below, the top ring is regular SRAM 50T and the bottom is an X-sync 50T. Note how the bottom one is thicker and looks beveled, and the teeth are offset from the beveled edge.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
glad i could help y'all clear that up :0
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it. I’ll check and report back later on. I have an x sync ring to compare it to also.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
glad i could help y'all clear that up :0

lol thanks #waveshand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. Definitely not offset after comparing it to my xsync. And probably why it’s a bit noisy in the lower gears.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely true. Thank you for checking!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcofoils wrote:
Jnags7 wrote:
54T 130 BCD?

Looking for aero 1x to mount to my sram dzero hidden bolt crank.

At the moment we are testing 54T 110 and 58T 130. Below a photo of the 58T. When we are happy with the results, it is just a question of getting the MOQ together for a batch of the various sizes, doing these as prototypes is really expensive.

What's the chainline would be like when you install these 1x ring on the conventional 2x crank arm/spider? 43.5-43.7mm is the GOAT🐐
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [G5Performance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G5Performance wrote:
What's the chainline would be like when you install these 1x ring on the conventional 2x crank arm/spider? 43.5-43.7mm is the GOAT🐐

Offset from the tooth center to spider mounting surface is -0.5mm, typical offsets for 2x big rings (Sram, Rotor...) are +3mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What chain line should we be looking for in a 1x? I know it's measured as the distance from the frame center line but how do I know how many mm are "ideal", and what constitutes ideal if you cruise in the 4th or 5th cog instead of the middle 6th?
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [DeanV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone used Stone chainrings? They are the only company I found that makes a round aero chainring in 46t. It's chinese, but certainly isn't priced like most $30 Chinese rings. They seem to offer every BCD, chainring, size, oval/round, and 1x/2x combination. Their products claim to use American 7075-T651 aluminum from Aleris.

I bought a Rotor Flow crankset after deciding against the Torno on the grounds of limited chainring sizes. Already ordered a WolfTooth chainring, but the crankset won't look complete without an aero ring on race day!

5 bolt 110bcd 46t aero NW: https://www.ebay.com/...8E7dIqvcKTU5QnKwtrkw
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Has anyone used Stone chainrings? They are the only company I found that makes a round aero chainring in 46t. It's chinese, but certainly isn't priced like most $30 Chinese rings. They seem to offer every BCD, chainring, size, oval/round, and 1x/2x combination. Their products claim to use American 7075-T651 aluminum from Aleris.

I bought a Rotor Flow crankset after deciding against the Torno on the grounds of limited chainring sizes. Already ordered a WolfTooth chainring, but the crankset won't look complete without an aero ring on race day!

5 bolt 110bcd 46t aero NW: https://www.ebay.com/...8E7dIqvcKTU5QnKwtrkw

Interesting product...
but when I try to reach out to Stone to : 1) have information about chainline for this chainring (just wanted to know where the teeth were positionned related to chainring center... more outside like a 2X ring / centered / more inside like Sram 1X ring which makes more sense) 2) know if it was possible to have a chainring with couterbores on the outside to "hide" chainring bolt head (which is standard on 99% of chainrings but does not show on the pictures of the Stone Aero 1X ring on ebay or aliexpress) --> the only answer I could get was "it's standard" and then when I pushed a little to know what "it's standard" means by trying to be precise with my questions (to show what I meant by counterbore for chainring bolt, etc.) the guy got mad and told me it was not going to be compatible with my BCD110 5 arms crankset anyway... ahahahah. So was very interested in the product but when you can't get any information that is not on the ebay page it kind of rings the alarm for me...
Just my 2 cents about that Stone chainring.
But if somebody bought it I'm curious !
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It ships direct from China, so from a customer service perspective, I'm surprised they even responded.

FYI, not even WolfTooth states the chainline for their 110 5 bolt ring because it can be mounted in the big or small ring position. What they do state is offset. Stone doesn't specify that either, but from pictures it looks centered (zero offset) so chainline will likely be same as the ring you're replacing. It's true that the bolt holes are not countersunk, but if that's a problem, it's a quick fix at home.

Regarding chainline, why do you think SRAMs spec makes more sense? I spend more time in the more outboard cogs, so a ~47mm seems to make sense intuitively. Also, someone mentioned that chainline is a bigger issue in the small cogs than the large ones.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually if it's centered it's probably a little more "in" than a 2X outer chainring which will most often has the teeth machined to the extreme outside of the plate it's machined from...

Of course it's always possible to machine the couterbores at home but there are a couple of reasons why I'd like it a bit better to receive a chainring with them :
1) time saving ;-) .
2) the counterbore will have better concentricity with the hole if made during the CNC machining step at the factory VS done later...
3) I will remove anodization in that area if I do it at home...

Interesting comment about alignment being more important on smaller cogs than bigger one, thanks !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pyf wrote:
Actually if it's centered it's probably a little more "in" than a 2X outer chainring which will most often has the teeth machined to the extreme outside of the plate it's machined from...

Of course it's always possible to machine the couterbores at home but there are a couple of reasons why I'd like it a bit better to receive a chainring with them :
1) time saving ;-) .
2) the counterbore will have better concentricity with the hole if made during the CNC machining step at the factory VS done later...
3) I will remove anodization in that area if I do it at home...

Interesting comment about alignment being more important on smaller cogs than bigger one, thanks !

Yes, you're right about the tooth location relative to the run.I received my Rotor Crankset which came with 52/36. The big ring teeth are on the very outside of the ring, as you say. The WolfTooth NW I installed has teeth centered. The difference is between 1-2mm, measured with a caliper. Rotor Chainline for 2x is 43.5 so the outside ring is 46. So with WolfTooth it's about 44-45mm. For reference, SRAM AXS 1x uses 45mm and Rotor DM 1x is 43.5. So anything in the 43.5-45 range should be ideal, per OEMs.

I would also prefer counterbored holes, but it doesn't look like there are any 46t NW aero rings yet. Garbaruck told me they didn't plan on sized smaller than 48t, but to check back in with them in a month (fingers crossed). Anodization should be ok since the bolts will hide that. The method to exact centering the holes within 0.0005" (factory spec, if not better) is to use a 1/1000" increment gauge pin in the chuck and fix the chainring position based on that. Then switch the pin out for your desired end mill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update: I decided to stick with WolfTooth due to their reputation in 1x, or at least my perception of their reputation based on ST (are they the "best?"). I then asked Glen at Alden Carbon make a cover for it.

Great quality carbon work by Glen:

Quote Reply

Prev Next