Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 1x Chainring availability [marcofoils] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcofoils wrote:
Yep, that is also my experience. With the input of an other ST member, we now have our own design ready. Hybrid aluminum/carbon, offset for better chain line and so on... prototypes in the making.

Very nice. Who is "we"?
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
We’re not talking about needing it based upon average speed

We are talking about downhill and with the wind and still maintain a desired cadence of 80 to 85

Part of my opinion on the topic comes from where I live. There isn't anywhere around here you can cruise at 35mph for more than maybe 30sec. Given that, I can't see how upping your cadence in that section for 30sec is going to kill your aero THAT much.

Also, at 85rpm it would be a ripping tail wind to get out of being able to use a 50T ring.

I don't think bike manufacturers are THAT naive either, they do have marketing and research as well as feedback from common human users all the way up to the pros. They didn't just run out to the warehouse and slap on whatever.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
refthimos wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Looked at potentially other options but I run a 54. Using the good old trusted and true
Sram X-Sync and see no reason to switch.

X-Sync is a great 1x option for round rings. It perplexes me that with plenty of X-Sync options, from 50T to 52T to 54T, Tririg chooses to spec a 48T chainring on its Omni complete build. We are supposed to go fast on our TT bikes, aren't we?

I'm going to take a stab at this, it's because aero works across all ability and power levels. So, people will own super expensive aero bikes to save time.

That doesn't mean they need a big front ring though.

Check this page for a 10 mile TT I did, only about 20 people here would even need anything in the 52t range. I bet the bell curve on a 1/2 IM or full IM is similar for speed. A very small part "need" even a 52t ring.

https://racesonline.com/events/cms-time-trial-series-1/results/2018?utf8=%E2%9C%93&category_id=&gender=&search_term_display=&commit=Search

Was that TT pancake flat? I did a 19:59 recently on a 10 miler that has a rolling section in the middle 5 miles. (would have been faster but my Velotoze ripped and I had to keep tipping my damn helmet back) I used my 56-11 for when I was on the down hill sections. Some courses I do have longer downhill stretches where it's needed as well. I'm an 80 cadence TTer for some reason.
And like others have said it's also about keeping a good chain line to save a couple watts.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [jakesdk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakesdk wrote:
marcofoils wrote:
Yep, that is also my experience. With the input of an other ST member, we now have our own design ready. Hybrid aluminum/carbon, offset for better chain line and so on... prototypes in the making.

Very nice. Who is "we"?

That would be MTM and myself. Here are two quick pictures of the 54T with 110 BCD.

Last edited by: marcofoils: Sep 30, 18 7:44
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Also, at 85rpm it would be a ripping tail wind to get out of being able to use a 50T ring.
I don't think bike manufacturers are THAT naive either, they do have marketing and research as well as feedback from common human users all the way up to the pros. They didn't just run out to the warehouse and slap on whatever.

I'm afraid you've got it all wrong by calculating everything based on the max speed in the 11 cog.

My goal is to avoid the tiny cogs altogether and ride on the 14 cog most of the time. It is much more efficient from a chainline and chain bend perspective. If I'm using the 11 much, I figure my chainring is too small. For many races this year, I didn't use the 11 or 12 at all.

50X14 gives you only 25mp at 97rpm. 54X14 only gives you 27.

I'm not sure I can explain exactly why, but you're less likely to drop a chain with a larger chainring.

There is a reason Grill and all those smart British TTers are using 57 and 58 chainrings.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Last edited by: jens: Sep 30, 18 8:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice! I like it!
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping this thread cause I'm looking for a new ring and nothing I can find really fits what I'm looking for. It appears I'll probably just have so go with a SRAM x-sync again, which works perfectly well but I was hoping for something more aero and more black.

Its time to step up to a 54 from a 52 and exploring options other than x-sync. If they had the black versions of the chainrings like they do for the 50t and below I'd be all over that but they dont. Are there any other round options that are relatively filled in and hopefully black rather than silver?

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Nov 15, 18 7:05
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If color is your only issue, why not take it to a local powder coater? I priced having an entire bike frame done, and that was $100. A single chainring might be $10-20.

As for aero, you could always use monokote to close in the holes in the x-sync...and even blend in the crank arm. I'm considering doing exactly that, and testing it over this off-season. In which case, you don't even need to care about the color of the ring because it will be covered.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Nov 15, 18 7:56
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Bumping this thread cause I'm looking for a new ring and nothing I can find really fits what I'm looking for. It appears I'll probably just have so go with a SRAM x-sync again, which works perfectly well but I was hoping for something more aero and more black.

Its time to step up to a 54 from a 52 and exploring options other than x-sync. If they had the black versions of the chainrings like they do for the 50t and below I'd be all over that but they dont. Are there any other round options that are relatively filled in and hopefully black rather than silver?

You could hit up Garbaruk and ask them nicely to make you a 1x aero chainring like they did for me :) I forget what I paid for mine but I remember it was reasonable and it took about three weeks.

https://www.garbaruk.com/

Edit: it's a stock item now https://www.garbaruk.com/...ro-5-bolt-round.html
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Nov 15, 18 17:51
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And that is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks! Now just to convince my wife I've outgrown my 52 and need to spend more $$ on my bike...

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:
My goal is to avoid the tiny cogs altogether and ride on the 14 cog most of the time. It is much more efficient from a chainline and chain bend perspective. If I'm using the 11 much, I figure my chainring is too small. For many races this year, I didn't use the 11 or 12 at all.

This. Small cogs are inefficient. Would like to see an 11spd 12-32 S cassette to go with a 58 or 60t ring. 12,13,14,15,16,17,19,22,25,28,32.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcofoils wrote:
No problem, glad it worked. I am also finding the round 50T a bit noisy. However, chain retention, with a DA chain, has been flawless.
I have now ordered a Stone 54T (ebay, aliexpress...). The chainrings look ok and are available up to 60T. Does somebody have any experience with them?

Now that you have some experience, what do you think? I don't trust a noisy ring. I wonder if the machining doesn't match the chain well, and you'll be losing some power.

Ran across this for only $28 in 58t: https://www.ebay.com/...64:rk:1:pf:0&var
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
jens wrote:

This. Small cogs are inefficient. Would like to see an 11spd 12-32 S cassette to go with a 58 or 60t ring. 12,13,14,15,16,17,19,22,25,28,32.

How fast are you guys riding? I’m using a 52t 11-28 without worrying about upping my chainring. But I’m also comfortable at 100 cadence.
And if I’m in my 12 or 11 tooth in the rear, I’m moving at 35+ mph. So chain line friction is such a small amount of my total speed resistance.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
How fast are you guys riding?

Not all that fast, and my habit is ~95rpm on normal cranks. But you lose some gear efficiency with smaller cogs, and I'm training to grind more, so...
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [Absoluteblack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absoluteblack wrote:
Just to mention, we (Absoluteblack) have a new 52 and 54t 1x DM aero ring scheduled for production in the next 4-6 weeks at our factory. It will fit directly onto SRAM Force/Rival cranks with no added parts or spacers required for perfect chain line. Keep an eye on http://www.absoluteblack.cc
I'll do my best to ping you when they're in stock.

Cheers,
AB

what happened to production?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Now that you have some experience, what do you think? I don't trust a noisy ring. I wonder if the machining doesn't match the chain well, and you'll be losing some power.

Ran across this for only $28 in 58t: https://www.ebay.com/...64:rk:1:pf:0&var

For the price of the Stone (or other ebay) chainrings you can't really complain. Good option to test 1x if you are not sure what chainring size fits before investing in something higher quality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Macrofoils

Those are cool. Do you have a link to the Stone page. I can’t seem to find them
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad this thread got bumped, I was looking for it the other day...

I threw this out there on the Speed Concept Owners thread but didn't get any action so perhaps this would be a better place to ask:

Based on this criteria what are my best options?

• New Trek Speed Concept currently with a 50/34 Shimano crank and 12-25 cassette (pure flatlander here) needs to be BB90 compatible.
  • Not a lot of watts to work with, I'm 65 years old, I believe my FTP is around 185 realistically.
  • Probably will downsize crank from 172.5 to 165mm
  • Never been on an oval chainring but I'm willing to try it out as long as I could switch back if I needed to.
  • Aero would be a plus, either 50 or 52. I'd like to stick with the Shimano 12/25 cassette if possible.
  • Crank arm power meter.
  • Would like chain to align with my middle sprocket or slightly outboard, yielding...
  • 52 x 17 @ 90 = 21.6 mph (center sprocket on a 12-25)
  • 52 x 16 @ 90 = 22.96 mph
  • 52 x 15 @ 90 = 24.49 mph

I'd be hard pressed to stay on that 52 x 15 all day but it would give me room to gear up or down depending on wind conditions.
What say thee Slowtwitchers?

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
54T 130 BCD?

Looking for aero 1x to mount to my sram dzero hidden bolt crank.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:
Macrofoils

Those are cool. Do you have a link to the Stone page. I can’t seem to find them

Thanks! Whilst Stone seems to have a website http://stonedw.com/ there is not much information there. Just search "stone chainring" on ebay and you will get plenty of results.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jnags7 wrote:
54T 130 BCD?

At the moment we are testing 54T 110 and 58T 130. Below a photo of the 58T. When we are happy with the results, it is just a question of getting the MOQ together for a batch of the various sizes, doing these as prototypes is really expensive.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I can appreciate the prototype challenges. Great work though. Looks awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jnags7 wrote:
54T 130 BCD?

We do a range of rings based on our ARC shape principle (changing shape depending on the size of the ring), link down below.

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How's the stone ring treating you? Any issues with premature chain wear or retention?
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Chainring availability [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was marcofoils I think... and I'd like to know as well!
Quote Reply

Prev Next