Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1st time training plan
Quote | Reply
Embarking on a HIM in 10 months time
Anything I've done before I've basically winged without a real training plan.

My job is very physical (climbing arborist) so I have a solid endurance base imop... never fast really but can keep going for hours when I get the right pace.

I'm planning the first 25 weeks / 6 months and was wondering if for things like the run which I'm no natural and bike that I have no experience at..should i focus on building the required distance (at the same time technique) first? e.g simply get to being able to run +21km without breaking myself before focusing on getting the speed up... which I figure I can work on in the last 3 / 4 months of training.
I'm already comfortable at more than race swim distance so that's going to be much more maintenance / reviver and technique focused over winter
Quote Reply
Re: 1st time training plan [skutter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are your goals? Are you aiming for completion as comfortably as possible, or trying to treat it as a race and go fast? What is your background in running and cycling -- e.g., what's the most miles you have run or biked in a year? Together, these should inform where you want to be at the end of the training cycle, and then you can plan backwards from there.

Whatever your goals, you need to get to the starting line first. Your biggest risks are probably injuring yourself during run or bike training. So build slowly and carefully, especially when it comes to running. Depending on how frequently you are able to train and how much you have run before, you might look up the BarryP run plan and get started there from a very low base run mileage. IF you haven't run much before, I'd suggest doing very little or no fast running, and certainly none to start off the training cycle.
Quote Reply
Re: 1st time training plan [twcronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The goals for the HIM for me are in stages.

First get to just covering the distances
then
Finishing within the cut off times.
then
Aim for sub 6 hour or 6:30+ feeling strong
I did a 10k in 2016... that was when I did my most running..will go through those stats..but
went from 0 to a 50 minute 10k in just under 2 months but certainly struggled at the end.
Did lots of long distance hiking last year. 35km + consecutive days with a full pack and bagging peaks... easy covered 1000km over the course of that year.
Todays bike was cut short and ended up chatting to a fellow expat on the way home who apologised for being slow but I enjoyed the company, average pace over 40km being just over 23km flatish and it was super easy conversational pace that so long as I kept snacking reckon I could do until some part of my body broke... 20 years of my job which is basically long steady slogs so I'm used to grinding.

Did a steady 4.8k jog on Friday average split of 6:30 per km easy enough and felt fine. With a 10% increase and a rest week every 4th week (reduced distance ) that puts me at about 25 weeks until I'm running over distance. Which I know I will find a frustratingly long time but running is what will probably cause injury.

I use the zombies run game in the past and will again now... plan is no zombie chasing me until about 4-6 weeks in (i.e adding intervals)

Bike distance at adding 10% per week puts me at around 11-12 weeks before just covering the distance though I'm comfortable i could ride that distance now (over the course of 4-5hours with snack stops / coffee break.) with out too much suffering. but again just holding myself back to avoid overload.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends How much time you have and How often you Can train and your equiotment. As for running, just go run often, take it slow and add more and more distance to a “long” run, which May not be very long to begin with. It doesn’t actually take that much training to be able to run a single half Marathon, if you’re in half decent shape, But doing after a 90km bike ride is another story, especially if you want to avoid injury. Consistency is key, after a few months you Can easy in some harder intervals or Hills, which Will bump your fitness, But this is where you need to be very disciplined and not bump volume or intensity too much at once, since even though you feel ok, you Can train much more for a period than your body Can handle. Even when cycling or swimming, i’d go out every day for a recovery run. As for cycling, I’d look to trainerroad and a sweet spot base plan and modify it and go for a longer less intense ride during the weekends. As for the distance, I’d aim to go much longer than 90km for a single bike ride for endurance purposes and aside from your muscles your body won’t take as much a beating when cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: 1st time training plan [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All great advice!

I've put together 2 training plans for running to compare and (sightly different methods....one a 10% increase each week rest every 4 week)
The other is what I call consolidation training..so start with e.g 3km run week run and every 4th week increase the difference but by a greater margin. e.g 25% Both methods get me running overdistance in around 26 weeks including rest weeks. 9n the. bike well I plan to be able to do 160km on a steady Sunday ride in about 6 months.
First brick sessions are Sunday ride then walk the dog as soon as I get back.... and that little mut likes a good 5kph pace.. figure two months of this is a good base...will implement short run walk into that dog walk after a month.
And totally agree I'm going to. need to reign myself back and accept im going to have to hold back over the next 6 months so I don't injure myself and overtrain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s good to have a plan for when motivation drops, But don’t over Think it. Depends where your running fitness is right now. If your muscles hurt from running, rest, if they’re only tired, go for a jog. A recovery dont necessarily mean rest, just dial volume or intensity Down a little
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i personally started using 80/20 endurance a couple of years ago and really like it. before i was haphazardly "training" not really having much guidance.

having a solid plan thats structured takes all the guess work out of it. all you have to do is do the workouts prescribed and enjoy the results.

you dont have to use them specifically, but i really highly recommend finding some sort of structured workout program that you can simply follow.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: 1st time training plan [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me I have to build in flexibility in the plan (and actual flexibility training) Today at work I spent 4 hours. driving and 5 hours of the day climbing trees waiving a chainsaw around then time on the ground shifting logs - so work was actually training...so this evening my knee feels it from the climb so the short run becomes a walk and I'll add an extra 20 minutes core training to the evenings mobility exercises...up early for a swim tomorrow... but main thing is 3 main work outs long run long bike long swim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi!

80/20. I did my first IM two years ago and it got me through. I went with the HR IM level 0 which was 21 weeks, six workouts (2 of each discipline) per week, plus 2 days of strength training. I’m using same plan for race next July. Right now, in the off season, I’m doing the 80/20 IM maintenance plan.

I recommend 80/20 as it’s totally doable (especially time wise).

Thanks!
Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did my first 70.3 at 60 years old. So I’m no expert, but it sounds like your goals are little low. I pretty much followed this plan

Super Simple Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Training Plan

Nine months is about what I did because COVID affected my plans. I did this plan, then because of the virus I only did 100% zone 2 running and biking for three or four months while I couldn’t swim because of pool closings and I was filling time until I got closer to my second planned event. Then that got cancelled and I just sort of repeated the last 8 weeks.

It does a nice build and does take a bit of time especially towards the end. But you can at least use it as a guide.

And like you I hadn’t biked in years but had run a couple of half marathons.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: 1st time training plan [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt Dixon's stuff, books, plans, podcast, and purple patch fitness are a good place to start
Quote Reply