Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1st time Ensure User for 1/2 IM
Quote | Reply
I am doing a 1/2 IM Sunday. I never used Ensure but have a pretty good gut on me. I definitely have trouble with pounding down all those calories in solid before a long race like that which is why I want to use it. I want to try 8-10 oz or so 3.5 hrs before the race. What are your thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: 1st time Ensure User for 1/2 IM [Freedie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't be to nervous an worried.

Stick to the tried and true foods.

Go with the flow eat a meal the day before, nothing heavy after noon the day before, and a clif bar before the race. I wouldn't use that wacky stuff (ensure) when there are food sources specifically designed and tested like; power bars, clif bars, clif shots, gu, gatoraid, etc etc. There have been thousands of athletes and millions of dollars of testing into power bars, and gatoraid, why do you want to be a test case. Ensure is not designed for endurance sports it is designed for other applications.

Good Luck!

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Last edited by: Goodtime: Jun 3, 03 17:46
Quote Reply
Re: 1st time Ensure User for 1/2 IM [Freedie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i once asked i dietician i work with about using ensure as a supplement (she also happens to be a marathon runner). she advised against it, telling me that while it is loaded with calories and carbs, it has too much of the "bad" types of fat in it (not too sure how to differentiate "bad" fats from "good" fats myself, but i have heard of this before). i myself have been known to drink a can of that instant breakfast stuff the morning of a race (at least 3 hours prior to start time) because i have a hard time eating solid foods early in the morning, especially when i'm a bit nervous. i have my first 1/2 IM also planned for this season. my plan for race morning is to try and choke down a bagel with peanut butter and maybe a couple of eggs a few hours before the start. i've been practicing eating all this stuff a couple of mornings a week to get myself used to it. like the last post said, i would avoid doing anything too different from what you're used to on race morning. good luck!

- The Who
Last edited by: sydnrusty: Jun 3, 03 18:08
Quote Reply