Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 1 year anniversary of IT band syndrome! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. I've been a runner my entire life. I've run with one runner that was a forefoot striker and it was my college coach

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: 1 year anniversary of IT band syndrome! [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ever tried a post on your sockliner under your 1st metatarsal? If your foot rotates inwards at forefoot contact during your gait cycle, this can stress the IT. Try gluing or taping something like a piece of cardboard about 3mm thick, maybe 3" long and 1" wide under your sockliner under your first met and behind your big toe. See if it helps when you run.
And as you know, glute and core strength are important in not allowing your hip to drop.
Also all that painful rolling and massage are probably a good thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suffered for almost a year with the same thing. I couldn't run a mile with pain.Went to three doctors and the best was a cortisone injection and a waste of time PT. I went the Ironman Institue in Houston and they were worse - just some waste of time exercises. One doctor wanted to do surgery. I found I guy in Houston that is a muscular massage therapist that works on professional athletes and body builders and he knew exactly what to do. I cried for an hour while he crammed 6 months of PT into one session. He used a wooden mallet to stretch out the IT band from my hip to the knee on both legs. I was able to run a half marathon the in two weeks. I've continued to use the roller and haven't had ANY problems since then - that was two years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't add much to this discussion but this:

it's absolutely possible to run and ride and do strength training with compensatory muscles rather than the optimal firing pattern for healthy movement. The longer you move in the same (bad) way, the further ingrained the bad pattern will become.

If this is your problem, you need to strip back to basics and get every one of your hip/ab/ham muscles a) switched on
b) firing automatically through the gate cycle. Lots of good exercises mentioned above but they need to be put together and progressed by a physio who really knows their stuff.

For me this meant 1.5+ hours of floor/weighted exercises + treadmill at steep incline every other day. I'm six months in and maybe halfway there. It takes a long time to redraw your movement map, especially to be reliable under fatigue and stress.

My advice would be to get through the IM if you can, then dedicate the following year to a total overhaul.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I struggled with this for 2.5 years. I got the R8 roller, within a week I could feel a noticeable difference. It's kinda pricy but worthe it as I am now running in good form again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was so frustrated, just like you. And I found the magic fix. Actually, a local pro triathlete/coach showed me this. From a previous response:

nickwhite wrote:
If I were you, I'd get some mini-bands and start doing side steps 3x a day. Also do hip bridges 3x daily. Strengthening the muscles these exercises target has cured me and a number of my friends. I had ITB pretty gnarly beside the knee, and also in my hip, and these 2 exercises saved me. I also started paying attention to my run cadence, attempting soft steps, and 90-steps-per-foot per minute cadence. If you are diligent, and don't keep irritating your IT-Band, I can see you racing the Ironman totally pain-free.

Video:

Bands (get the black ones):
http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01AWUUBXS

(hint: Take your shoes off. Pulling the bands over shoes creates tiny nicks which cause the bands to rip)

Video, hip-ups. You should hold for 10-seconds, doing 20 reps:

Quote Reply
Re: 1 year anniversary of IT band syndrome! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
do you heelstrike? ITBS is more common in heelstrikers

+1

When I was having IT band issues, my PT gave me a running analysis. One of the things he pointed out was that I was a heel striker. Now, the problem wasn't heel striking, per se. The problem was that heel strikers (myself included) were more likely to be overstriding slightly and hitting the ground with a too-straight leg. Mine was hitting the ground with 8 degree and 15 degree angles when they should have been bent to at least 20 degrees on impact. In my case, correcting my form wasn't too terribly difficult. He had me practice running at a slightly higher cadence (178 smp vs. 172 spm), and I automatically moved to a forefoot strike (with a much better angle of impact as a result). Three to four weeks of incredibly sore calves later, and I was running with a forefoot strike even on my slowest runs.

That being said, not everyone needs to be a forefoot striker. But since you are a heel striker, it may be worth it to either get a running analysis done or just have a buddy video you while running so you can see the angle of your leg on impact.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 year anniversary of IT band syndrome! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
I am on at least 3 years of chronic hamstring issues and on/off IT band stuff. I attempted to run through the hamstring injury and that only made it worse and created a neuro pattern of chronic pain that has been hard to undo. At one point while battling hamstring I injured my back and was not able to run for about 3 months +-. Back got better but hamstring injury remained. An MRI revealed chronic inflammation so no news there. I have been through the drill of seeing about a dozen PT's, chiros, sports doctors. My current PT is number 13 and was the first to finally get to the root of the problem (lower back, SI joint, etc.....). I also worked with a run form coach who is also a PT. Lately I have been getting Graston and dry needling done on it. Laser, orthodics and manual manipulation have helped as well.

I would bail on the IM if you want to be competitive on race day. If you want to just 'tour' the race and don't mind being slower and in pain then go for it.

I have been there.....good luck!
Kat Kong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would strongly recommend you try another shoe. Hookahs wrecked my knees. It took me over a year to recover after I stopped wearing Hokas.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 year anniversary of IT band syndrome! [jfhdvm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What shoes are you currently wearing?
thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a thing left to try. I had chronic issues that were moderate but little did I know that it was not normal to have IT bands the way I had them. Wife talked me into prescription, custom orthotics for running and I also added less expensive Sole orthotics into my cycling shoes. Combined result with daily rolling, stretching and gluteus/hips strength really allowed me to run with no issues. It is worth a try. I resisted at first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
Agreed. I still think my bike posture could be an issue...or the issue. Leaning to the right has to have some consequences. As a result I've tried to focus more on this riding the road bike and it's less of an issue, but still an issue on the TT bike. Less of an issue due to being forced to ride a straight ahead saddle and symmetrical pads. I still find myself leaning right on the TT bike though.

Trust me I've tried to leave no stone unturned....but still hoping maybe someone has a little nugget for me that can help fix this problem. Thanks.

There is no good posture in biking, it's all bad for posture. Biking is kinda like sitting at a desk and cycling your legs. Then go sit at a desk some more.

All three sports require time in regular rehab work otherwise you'll end up hitting a stop button somewhere. IM training distances are so long - at the cost of rehab work, not for me.

Anyway if the tissues are too far gone Gunn IMS therapy has really helped turn the corner for my thrashed body. I go 1-2x per month as we are working through a lot of trouble spots! This is the university site, you'd have to locate a practitioner in your area.
>http://ubcgunnims.com/

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Last edited by: SharkFM: Aug 1, 16 11:36
Quote Reply
Re: 1 year anniversary of IT band syndrome! [ACook1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that this is one of the best stretches I have come across as well. If you don't have a yoga strap, you can also use something like a jump rope to perform these stretches. If you find that this stretch does help I recommend getting a thick yoga strap due to the fact that you can control your foot better during the stretch. I recommend a yoga strap that is at least 1 inch thick.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 year anniversary of IT band syndrome! [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
got it really badly a few years ago while marathon training. Tried to rest a few weeks, get some treatment and then re-start running. Fail. Only thing that worked was rest from running and STRENGTH Exercises. Clam shells, glute work, hip strength, lunges... Basically everything that strengthens you from your core to your knees, and front, back and sides. There is a good video of exercises to do.

Truth. And these exercises are not a one time fix, they must become a weekly thing. Preventative PT is what I call my routine. Gotta strengthen the butt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ITBS is super simple to get rid of, unless if you are one of those where it's not easy at all to get rid off.

If you have done all the exercises, running analysis, bikefit, random kitchen sink therapy like balls, needles, rollers, shockwave and whatnot and still not improved by any significant degree: get surgery.

As of 2018 we (physical therapists) still dont know much about wth is causing ITBS, what's going on in the ITB and thus how it's cured in the stubborn cases. And surgery is minimally invasive, fast (we talking 20 minutes here), no rehab required afterwards and very often successful. In fact, I've had it myself after battling it out over a season. Explained to a sports doc what I've been doing to manage it and what he said holds true today as well (6 years later, an eon in PT): If it's therapy resistant, you need surgery. He'd done over 400 ITB Releases with 2-3 patients needing a second surgery for it to be successful. Better track record than most PT's, thats for sure.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply

Prev Next