Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 1 up USA ever have a sale? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just use a regular cable bike lock around the bottom bracket and rack but am about to order the wheel locks.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 up USA ever have a sale? [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackCapets wrote:
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Saris Thelma.
It also looks cool, and folds down totally flat with ease.

To each their own. Lots of racks hold your bike just fine, at a certain point you are spending money on aesthetics and perceptions of build quality. To me, the Themla looks ridiculous. I don't need two giant plastic jai alai scoops on the back of my car.

The 1up does the best job of any rack I've seen of getting out of the way when not in use, such that I don't feel like I absolutely have to remove it all of the time due to bulk and aesthetics. That also is in no small part because almost no other manufacturer makes a single rack of that quality and that is what I have on there most of the time. Maybe most people with racks always have multiple bikes on there, but I still value only having the add-on rack when needed rather than carrying the bulk on my car the other 95% of the time.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 up USA ever have a sale? [~C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
~C wrote:
I just use a regular cable bike lock around the bottom bracket and rack but am about to order the wheel locks.

The wheel locks they sell look very similar to the locks you buy at Lowe's that lock your tongue down on a trailer. I have one for a trailer, and they're about $10/each. I'll let you know in a few days if it works. I'm hoping my rack will be here by the weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 up USA ever have a sale? [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
ZackCapets wrote:
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Saris Thelma.
It also looks cool, and folds down totally flat with ease.

To each their own. Lots of racks hold your bike just fine, at a certain point you are spending money on aesthetics and perceptions of build quality. To me, the Themla looks ridiculous. I don't need two giant plastic jai alai scoops on the back of my car.

The 1up does the best job of any rack I've seen of getting out of the way when not in use, such that I don't feel like I absolutely have to remove it all of the time due to bulk and aesthetics. That also is in no small part because almost no other manufacturer makes a single rack of that quality and that is what I have on there most of the time. Maybe most people with racks always have multiple bikes on there, but I still value only having the add-on rack when needed rather than carrying the bulk on my car the other 95% of the time.

+1... I only occasionally use the 2nd tray; really like the single option the vast majority of the time, and I like how nicely they box up and store on an ordinary shelf when not on the car. And like someone else said, I've long forgotten how much more I spent than whatever less-expensive option I was considering. I know it wasn't cheap, but for something you plan to keep for several years, a $100 or whatever price difference becomes dust in the wind pretty quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 up USA ever have a sale? [~C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
*I do not own the 1up rack*

With the wheel locks, it looks like you could easily steal the frame by leaving the wheel(s) behind.

Another thing to watch for is that it is easy to steal from racks that lock down on wheels or frames by simply deflating the tires. Bikes will easily slide out after.

I leave a cable lock on my rack to make sure I always have something handy to lock the bike.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: 1 up USA ever have a sale? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The wheel locks are a just a mild deterrent at best. If you are truly concerned about security you just use a cable lock like 1up recommends.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 up USA ever have a sale? [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got mine installed, Friday.

One word.........BADASS.

It came with no instructions (no brainer installation).....but there's a Velcro strap in the box. What's it for?

Thanks for the heads up on this thing. Takes about 5 seconds to load my bike, now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
but there's a Velcro strap in the box. What's it for?

The equivalent of lawyer tabs... You place the strap from the rack to the hitch as an added layer of security. In theory the strap is enough to prevent the rack from sliding out should the mechanism loosen or fail. Personally, I have never had the mechanism loosen after thousands of miles of driving. YMMV
Last edited by: shannon1: Dec 21, 15 7:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Tigr titanium lock (2" not the 1.2") on my 1 upUSA. I'd gotten it at REI with a 20% off member coupons. Works great. Long enough to go thru through rack and frame. Very secure.

I've thought about getting a locking receiver pin but am not sure of all the ones which is best.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 up USA ever have a sale? [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarbBikeTechie wrote:
I use the Tigr titanium lock (2" not the 1.2") on my 1 upUSA. I'd gotten it at REI with a 20% off member coupons. Works great. Long enough to go thru through rack and frame. Very secure.

I've thought about getting a locking receiver pin but am not sure of all the ones which is best.

I can tell you which ones not to get...Masterlock locking receiver pins. Have 2 of them only because they came in a set keyed alike and both lock cores rusted (first withing a couple of months and the second a year later). I tried to spray PB blaster periodically in the cores after the 1st one seized but eventually life along with laziness got in the way (hence why the 2nd one seized). Can't remove mine now without cutting the pins. Luckily I haven't needed to use my hitch but it is still a PITA. Next time I rather get a set with a special threaded lock nut or something (that way I can put anti-seize on the threads and forget about it).
Quote Reply

Prev Next