Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
1 piece vs a 2 piece tri suit
Quote | Reply
I'm considering making the switch to a 1 piece this year as a potential time savings and have a few questions (sorry if these have obvious answers - they're not obvious to the uninitiated).

- Do/can you swim with a 1 piece under a wetsuit? I'm assuming you do as I'm guessing it would be hard to put on when wet but have no idea.

- From what I understand, if you're moving to a 1 piece, you should be ready to pee in it during the race. Is this a common thing? Makes sense but want to confirm.

- I've heard a 1 piece has less padding than a 2 piece bottom which makes sense if you're going to run in it. How much more uncomfortable have people found this on the bike when making the switch?

- Besides applying chamois creme, taping nipples for the run, are there any other tricks to making a 1 piece work well?

If I don't need to change during the transitions and pee without stopping, that would save me more time than dropping 2k on wheels (I think).
Quote Reply
Re: 1 piece vs a 2 piece tri suit [guy2600] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes (as long as the one piece sleeve is above the elbow i think)
Yes
Not necessarily
Depending on the suit, you might not need to do even those things, although I always Chamois ^^;

I have a few questions for you. Why do you have to change in T1 when wearing a two-piece? Why can't you pee in a two piece (rhetorical question, you can pee in anything)? I don't really think those count as time saving factors if you they are independent of what you are wearing.

I don't think a tri suit is faster than tri separates (except in non wetsuit swim), but I do find them more comfortable. It comes down to personal preference. De Soto even makes the Flisuit, which allows for on-the-fly bathroom relief. Tri one if you want!

Also, you could probably get some nice wheels for 1k.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, a 1-piece is totally fine under a wetsuit.

The De Soto Riviera and a few others now have a pee fly.

I have no issues with the padding in my Riveira. It seems just right.

I have never need chamois crime or nipple tape. In face, a one piece is unlikely to chafe nipples, because the fit is tight.

What distance are you doing? I do not change, and I have only had to Lee in one race in the last couple years.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 piece vs a 2 piece tri suit [toastygloveman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toastygloveman wrote:
Yes (as long as the one piece sleeve is above the elbow i think)
Yes
Not necessarily
Depending on the suit, you might not need to do even those things, although I always Chamois ^^;

I have a few questions for you. Why do you have to change in T1 when wearing a two-piece? Why can't you pee in a two piece (rhetorical question, you can pee in anything)? I don't really think those count as time saving factors if you they are independent of what you are wearing.

I don't think a tri suit is faster than tri separates (except in non wetsuit swim), but I do find them more comfortable. It comes down to personal preference. De Soto even makes the Flisuit, which allows for on-the-fly bathroom relief. Tri one if you want!

Also, you could probably get some nice wheels for 1k.

Cheers!

Well, my top and bottoms are traditional cycling clothing. I guess I could use them but the bulk seems like a lot for a 140.6 (running that is). I'm guessing I would have a better fit with a 1 piece tri suit. You're right, I certainly could still pee in what I'm using I guess. As for wheels, I'm either going to rent them ($200 from raceday) or just run what I have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
guy2600 wrote:
Well, my top and bottoms are traditional cycling clothing. I guess I could use them but the bulk seems like a lot for a 140.6 (running that is). I'm guessing I would have a better fit with a 1 piece tri suit. You're right, I certainly could still pee in what I'm using I guess. As for wheels, I'm either going to rent them ($200 from raceday) or just run what I have.

You are right, a traditional non-race fit cycling jersey would be a little bulky for the under the wetsuit and on the run (I did not know that was what you were currently wearing.) I think if you are going the full distance, it would make sense to invest in some triathlon specific apparel; whether that is one or two pieces is up to you. De Soto has some really nice race apparel that will definitely not chafe your nips.

Emilio De Soto (the owner) recently offered a discount to any Slowtwitch member if you reach out to him by email. You can find that information here.

Also, what race are you doing? Let me know how the wheel rental works out because that is something I have been considering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Taping nipples is really a thing? I sorta get the peeing thing if you are in a tight race or on the bubble for kona. Myself I would just take my time and subtract the potty time off my official result. The pee flap I can totally see some guy not closing it properly and inadvertently exposing himself but hopefully it's designed so that's not possible.

I did buy a one piece sleeveless for my first sprint tri coming up soon. I ain't taping my nipples though. There is probably like 30 things I will do wrong. I need a beginner checklist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are doing your first Ironman, consider using a 2 piece tri suit. That way, if you have to use a porta-potty for something other than peeing (if you get my drift) it is easy to just drop your shorts, do your business, pull them up again and go. In comparison, trying to wriggle out of a one-piece in the porta-john, and then get it back on when you are all hot and sweaty, is more of a chore.
If you have done a few Ironmans and are positively certain you won't need to do anything but pee, then go with whichever feels most comfy.
Either way (2 piece of 1) you can swim with them under your wetsuit. But if your "tri-kit" has sleeves (as many do nowadays) be sure you practice with it on under the wetsuit a few times to make sure nothing binds at the armpits/shoulders.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 piece vs a 2 piece tri suit [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gonefishin5555 wrote:
Taping nipples is really a thing? I sorta get the peeing thing if you are in a tight race or on the bubble for kona. Myself I would just take my time and subtract the potty time off my official result. The pee flap I can totally see some guy not closing it properly and inadvertently exposing himself but hopefully it's designed so that's not possible.

I did buy a one piece sleeveless for my first sprint tri coming up soon. I ain't taping my nipples though. There is probably like 30 things I will do wrong. I need a beginner checklist.

Dumping ice/water over your head to cool down plus wearing a running shirt has given my some VERY raw and bleeding nipples multiple times. Not fun but maybe tighter fitting clothing would fix that.

Due to a recent combination of very fortunate circumstances, I'm able to do a full this year with time to properly train. It's very unlikely I'll have this opportunity again for some time so this should a PR for me. If I'm having a good day, no doubt I'll be peeing without stopping as this will more than likely be the fastest time I'll ever put down. Hopefully.

Just bought the riviera on sale, thanks for the suggestion.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 piece vs a 2 piece tri suit [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never taped my nipples, but I have experienced chafing when running in cold damp conditions wearing a loose top. Not fun, but also never had an issue in a tri kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like a 1-piece for every distance short of an IM. One reason I like (there are many) it is the reduction of available skin to the scourge of the sun. No tramp stamp for me! However, the chance of needing to go #2 increases exponentially with an IM and a 1-piece is a PITA to undo in a mid-race emergency situation.

To answer your questions in order:
-Yes. Also, do not try to put it on in T1. This should be true for most tri-related apparel. Whatever you decide, put it on under your wetsuit and leave it on for the duration.
-Individual preference on where you pee
-Depends on what you're comparing it to, but on par with tri-shorts. A high quality 1-piece will be quite comfy.
-Don't tape your nipples. If nipple chafe is an issue, body glide the ladies when you glide the other stuff

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One-piece/two-piece, I always wear my tri suit under my wetsuit.

I never need to pee during a sprint tri. A trip (or two) to the porta potty before the race and I'm all set. I normally need to pee on any 1500m or longer swim, and I do that during the swim. (Plenty of water in the lake to clean things up.) I never pee on my bike or during the run. Even with a "traditional" one-piece, it's not a problem to unzip far enough to use the porta potty for a pee in T-1/T-2. (From a guy's perspective.) A number two might be a bigger issue, but (knock on wood) I've never had this come up during a race.

Any tri suit has less padding than a pair of cycling shorts. I train wearing cycling shorts, but I wouldn't consider wearing cycling shorts during a triathlon. I've never considered the thinner padding in tri suits or shorts to be a problem, even after 112 miles.

I go with body glide instead of chamois cream. I'm not sure that it stays on better during the swim, but I think it does. I also put body glide on the inside of my biceps because a sleeveless tri suits starts to rub me there. I've never had a need for anything on my nipples with a tri suit.

Besides the "fact" that all of the cool kids wear a tri suit during a race, it really is better than trying to do a triathlon wearing regular cycling and running kit with all of the wardrobe changes during a race that involves. Lots of great options when it comes to buying a tri suit, and you won't be sorry.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
guy2600 wrote:
Just bought the riviera on sale, thanks for the suggestion.

Great choice Guy! I have one myself, you won't regret it. I know you bought it already, but make sure to look at the sizing chart for your body's dimensions. If you have any questions, the staff at De Soto is very knowledgable and will get you the right fit.

Good Luck this season!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some one-piece suits are quasi-two-piece suits--like the Castelli ones, for example--so you can pee by pulling down the front of the shorts, just like with separates. Personally, I would not use a one-piece suit that required me to take off the top to pee.

I've had no problems swimming with the Castelli one-piece under a wetsuit. For those who do, you could just keep the top down around your waist under the wetsuit and put it on wet once you strip the wetsuit, don't that would be too onerous.

The Castelli one-piece suit has the same pad as the separates. Awesome pad, decent padding and doesn't chafe during running.

I'm confused about what the one-piece vs two-piece has to do with changing during transitions or whether you stop or pee in your shorts.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 piece vs a 2 piece tri suit [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
Some one-piece suits are quasi-two-piece suits--like the Castelli ones, for example--so you can pee by pulling down the front of the shorts, just like with separates. Personally, I would not use a one-piece suit that required me to take off the top to pee.

I've had no problems swimming with the Castelli one-piece under a wetsuit. For those who do, you could just keep the top down around your waist under the wetsuit and put it on wet once you strip the wetsuit, don't that would be too onerous.

The Castelli one-piece suit has the same pad as the separates. Awesome pad, decent padding and doesn't chafe during running.

I'm confused about what the one-piece vs two-piece has to do with changing during transitions or whether you stop or pee in your shorts.

Well, that's because I didn't quite phrase the title correctly. I currently have a swimsuit, cycling clothing (not tri specific) and run clothing. It wouldn't be practical for me to have a 2 piece cycling outfit under my swimsuit and then run with it after the bike on a full distance tri. Up to this point, I've changed in T1 & T2 into the previous. I knew nothing about how 1 piece tri suits work/are used hence the questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
guy2600 wrote:
niccolo wrote:

Well, that's because I didn't quite phrase the title correctly. I currently have a swimsuit, cycling clothing (not tri specific) and run clothing. It wouldn't be practical for me to have a 2 piece cycling outfit under my swimsuit and then run with it after the bike on a full distance tri. Up to this point, I've changed in T1 & T2 into the previous. I knew nothing about how 1 piece tri suits work/are used hence the questions.

Yeah, you're not so much talking about one-piece tri suits as you are all tri clothing.

For shorter events, people mostly wear their tri clothing under their wetsuit or swim skin and then bike and run in it.

For long events, people who care a bit less about their times will change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
guy2600 wrote:
niccolo wrote:

The difference between 1 piece and 2 piece tri suits is essentially comfort and toilet access.
A one piece is more comfortable for me in the same way that cycling bib shorts are more comfortable than simple shorts - there's no waistband and they stay in position nicely on the bike. A front zip one piece with a decent length zip can still allow you pee but many have shorter zips. For a full distance race, it's not such a big deal to slip the one piece off the shoulders. It might cost you 30s. Hardly huge. A rear zip might take a little longer. I'd rather lose a minute in an IM or 70.3 than pee in my suit. I don't generally need to worry about it in shorter races.
The difference between cycling kit and a tri suit is the big difference. I used cycling gear for duathlons and adventure races that didn't include a swim, before I started doing triathlons. It works alright but I'd much rather run in a tri suit than cycling shorts. I wouldn't like to use cycling shorts for a swim and then get straight onto the bike, thus I started using tri shorts as soon as I started triathlon. You've enough to do in transition with changing footwear, helmet & glasses, without changing all your clothes. I would prioritise a tri suit way above any bike upgrade. As much for enjoyment of the race as for time, but both will benefit.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 piece vs a 2 piece tri suit [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Don't tape your nipples. If nipple chafe is an issue, body glide the ladies when you glide the other stuff

Body glide doesn't work for everyone. especially at a marathon length run. Especially in the winter in a tech shirt, I've got to tape or I'll get chafed on as little as a 6 mile run. Nexcare Absolute Waterproof Tape sticks when wet and you can't even see it through my shirts/tops.

In regards to 1 piece vs 2, I've only work a 1 piece, but moving to a 2 for my first full. Had to per for the first time in a half and realized how a more substantial bathroom break could be problematic.

My question is for hose wearing a 2 piece, sleeved top and wearing a swim skin in IM distance. Do you just out your top on in T1? That's my plan.

Another benefit to 2 piece is I have a running singlet I plan to change into in t2.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 piece vs a 2 piece tri suit [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
Do you just out your top on in T1? That's my plan.

I am not exactly sure what this question is asking. If you are only wearing a swim skin and not a wetsuit, then I am assuming the swim is not wetsuit legal (because it is safer than assuming a triathlete is a good swimmer that prefers to not wear a wetsuit). If that is the case, then you are not wearing the sleeved top during the swim (illegal) and looking to just put it on in T1. (You probably knew all this, I am just talking my way into your question.)

My only word of warning is that if your tri top is not full zipper, do not underestimate how hard it will be to put on after a swim that has left your entire upper body is sore and swollen. If it is a full zipper then no problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
toastygloveman wrote:
If that is the case, then you are not wearing the sleeved top during the swim (illegal) and looking to just put it on in T1. (You probably knew all this, I am just talking my way into your question.)

This rule was changed beginning in 2016, no longer an issue. Some will still roll down the top by preference. See below.

Finally, the swimwear rule has been changed. During non-wetsuit swims, swimwear sleeves, or race kits worn under sleeveless swimwear, may now extend from shoulders to elbows.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...a.aspx#ixzz58WyKHULh
Quote Reply
Re: 1 piece vs a 2 piece tri suit [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew they made a change, but I could not remember the specifics... I thought it was that you could now wear the sleeved suit under a wetsuit because that rule that didn't make any sense.

Anyway, nice catch. I should have looked that up prior to posting. Thank you for correcting me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem. I knew the answer, swam with sleeves under swim skin in Cozumel; took me a bit to find a good link!
Quote Reply
Re: 1 piece vs a 2 piece tri suit [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I taped for my first 3 marathons, but forgot for the next 2 and never had an issue. I have on the other hand experienced far worse chafing in far worse places when out for a run in -10c with a bit too baggy pants...
Bathroom breaks with a one piece arent that tough imo, I prob peed 3 times on the bike last year, though I couldn't pull myself to pee on the run, felt worse somehow.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried a couple one pieces last year and didn't like them. With that said they didn't fit ME particularly well, and they were off brands too. SL3 to be precise, which has been getting increasingly popular at local races via my eye test. So take that with a grain of salt. If I have the opportunity to try and not buy I'd gladly give some of the expensive boys a test (so long is it's risk free and affordable in the end). But for now I think I'm going to stay in the two piece league. From my perspective where money isn't necessarily a struggle but needs to be budgeted I like the fact that you can mix match and probably save some good coin. Especially if you can find a fast jersey on sale. I'm thinking of giving the dhb tri jersey a whirl and if it doesn't work out for racing it's a cheap training jersey. Find a high quality pair of tri shorts on sale and you're in business.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- Do/can you swim with a 1 piece under a wetsuit? I'm assuming you do as I'm guessing it would be hard to put on when wet but have no idea.
Yep. You can just like a 2 piece kit. I wear my 2 piece kits under wetsuit/speedsuits as well to avoid hassles changing in T1/T2.

- From what I understand, if you're moving to a 1 piece, you should be ready to pee in it during the race. Is this a common thing? Makes sense but want to confirm.
You're not truly initiated into the sport unless you pee yourself. 1x for doing it on the bike. 2x for doing it on the run.

- I've heard a 1 piece has less padding than a 2 piece bottom which makes sense if you're going to run in it. How much more uncomfortable have people found this on the bike when making the switch?
Not necessarily. Each manufacturer is different. My tri shorts have a lot less padding than some 1 piece kits and I use them for full IM events. Train with what you race in.

- Besides applying chamois creme, taping nipples for the run, are there any other tricks to making a 1 piece work well?
Make sure it fits correctly. If it's too small, it will pull at the seams and cause issues or force you to bend at the waist to relieve the pressure. Tri glide all the seams around the arms, neck and legs.

If I don't need to change during the transitions and pee without stopping, that would save me more time than dropping 2k on wheels (I think).
As I mentioned, I use two piece as well and just wear it all under my wetsuit/speedsuit and don't do much changing in T1/T2 anyways. I wear under shorts under tri shorts so I can leave my shorts on T1 to stay dry and put them on after the swim if it's a cold weather race to avoid being too cold on the bike.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: 1 piece vs a 2 piece tri suit [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started with the one piece (as stated in my reply earlier in the thread) and have had no issues other than a pee stop on my first half IM (wayyyy too cold to attempt to go on the bike).

Just got my two piece kit in. I'm going to utilize it purely for full ironman events due to the increased likelihood of bathroom breaks (not the kind you can do on the bike), the desire to switch into a running single, ease of fitting under a swim skin without rolling down, etc.

But my one piece is sooooo much more comfortable. I need to get another as it's been stretched out over a few seasons, but I just like it a lot more. Kind of like how I'll never not wear bib shorts on the bike again once I made the switch.

Quote:
With that said they didn't fit ME particularly well, and they were off brands too. SL3 to be precise,

I tried the sleeved SL3 because of the price. It absolutely did not fit well and was not a fan. Sleeves were terrible. They basically just wanted to roll up as soon as I'd get in aero position. Free large to anyone willing to pay for shipping (if I can find it).
Quote Reply

Prev Next