Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1 piece vs 2 piece suit. How many watts?
Quote | Reply
I think pretty much every one piece suit on the market is avail in a 2 piece option. I like the feel of a 2 piece suit better, but I’m wondering how much of an aero penalty is there? I know the answer is very individual and dependant on which suit and how well it fits, but I’m really looking for just an estimate. Would I be giving up 5 min in an Ironman? Or would it more like 1min?
Quote Reply
Re: 1 piece vs 2 piece suit. How many watts? [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
long ago I tested a 1pc vs. 2pc in A2. That was before you could wear sleeves, and before companies really thought about "aero" fabric. So just your basic 1 pc vs 2 pc tri kit.
The guess then was that the split at the lower back (where the top rode up in aero) was the problem, as otherwise the suits were pretty similar (to the eye at least)
Really hard to say, as fabrics and build, not to mention individual position/clothing differences really make it apples to oranges. But it ended up being a fair chunk of watts.

I think Jim (Ero) spoke on this during his interview on FLO's podcast.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
search the form. Enough cases where the two piece was the same to make it a moot point in my mind unless you have a wind tunnel to test.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 piece vs 2 piece suit. How many watts? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
long ago I tested a 1pc vs. 2pc in A2. That was before you could wear sleeves, and before companies really thought about "aero" fabric. So just your basic 1 pc vs 2 pc tri kit.
The guess then was that the split at the lower back (where the top rode up in aero) was the problem, as otherwise the suits were pretty similar (to the eye at least)
Really hard to say, as fabrics and build, not to mention individual position/clothing differences really make it apples to oranges. But it ended up being a fair chunk of watts.

I think Jim (Ero) spoke on this during his interview on FLO's podcast.

He did. One-piece is typically better. Some times two-piece suits are close to their one-piece counterparts, but other times they are worse off aerodynamically. I think one-piece is the safe way to go.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the correct answer is "skin cancer"

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More fabric covering you as long as it’s the right fabric is proven to be faster. 1 piece for me but if you disproportionate then maybe a two piece would work better
Quote Reply
Re: 1 piece vs 2 piece suit. How many watts? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My assumption in an Ironman distance race (and half for that matter) is that there is a better than even chance I'm gonna need to visit the porta potty at some point during the race. I've wrenched my shoulder trying to get a one piece down quickly and have learned that I am far better off with a two piece, if only for the peace of mind. I'll take the aero hit for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Afg53 wrote:
..... I’m wondering how much of an aero penalty is there? I know the answer is very individual and dependant on which suit and how well it fits....

Ballpark it at 5-15w

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: 1 piece vs 2 piece suit. How many watts? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
15W?!?! I need to rethink my pooing strategy

desert dude wrote:
Afg53 wrote:
..... I’m wondering how much of an aero penalty is there? I know the answer is very individual and dependant on which suit and how well it fits....

Ballpark it at 5-15w
Quote Reply
Re: 1 piece vs 2 piece suit. How many watts? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
the correct answer is "skin cancer"
Come on Eric when has anyone ever used the argument for practicality over minimal gains on this forum...
Quote Reply
Re: 1 piece vs 2 piece suit. How many watts? [iSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try one of the De Soto Tri Fli one piece suits.

Sleeved https://www.desotosport.com/...ucts/riviera-flisuit

Sleeved https://www.desotosport.com/...orza-flisuit-sleeved

Sleeveless https://www.desotosport.com/...oducts/forza-flisuit

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply