Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1 or 2 fans for pain cave
Quote | Reply
I have one Vornado fan that’s fairly powerful. I put it just forward if my left crank arm and point it up so it’s hits the center of my body and up to my head. I drape a towel over handlebars that would block air if I placed it in from of me. Considering getting a second fan for the left. Anybody else do two fans? How do you position them? What ones are they?
Quote Reply
Re: 1 or 2 fans for pain cave [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a big high velocity fan sitting on a stand pointed front and center, like this one:

Then I have a box fan in the window either blowing in (winter) or out (summer).

One of those Vornado fans wouldn't do the trick for me. I'd need at least 2.
Last edited by: nickwhite: May 25, 18 19:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a formula for your situation... Count the number of electrical outlets available in your indoor training space. One will no doubt be occupied by a smart trainer, another by a computer, and a third likely a TV or other entertainment. Take the remaining number of outlets, multiply by eight (the number of slots in an average surge strip). This is the number of fans that would be beneficial.

But seriously... I also run a Vornado and a ceiling fan typically both on high blast. I've added another fan or two from time to time. If I run multiples, I typically do them at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock as that seems to have the best cooling effect. One is typically sufficient, though. Three doesn't really seem to be any better than two for me.

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The one in the back is basically just for keeping the Computrainer from melting...seriously
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got two (positioned at ten and two o'clock). This was a recent change this winter from previously having just one fairly dinky one. Niw sometimes I come off basically dry, especially if I've had ~10 mins of cool down after intervals. I got two of the Lasko pro performance

https://express.google.com/...DJotsCFULnZAodcrsAQA

I chose this one because they talked about it on the TR podcast. I decided I'd order two but figured I'd send one back. It took one ride to decide not to send the second one back. :)

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Last edited by: CCF: May 25, 18 22:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two fans .....like GPLama pointed upwards at an angle at me from the floor....that seems to provide the perfect amount of cooling especially when its warm. I use Honeywell HT-900 E...they are great.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: 1 or 2 fans for pain cave [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link. I had listened to the TR guys mention a fan and forgot which one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So it's bad that I'm not using any for trainer rides up to an hour?

In all seriousness, I'm trying to work on heat acclimatization for a September 70.3 in Georgia.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 or 2 fans for pain cave [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:

In all seriousness, I'm trying to work on heat acclimatization for a September 70.3 in Georgia.

I think the TR talked about this on a podcast and it’s not necessary to work on it that far about from your race.

This is an older post but I swear they’ve discussed it more recently
http://blog.trainerroad.com/...ng-heat-acclimation/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do you live and what is house temp when you bike? I live in Texas and don’t want to pay bill to keep AC too low so, at its coldest, my pain cave is 72 degrees (summer mornings even when it’s dark in DFW area, it’s 75 outside) and thus, I really need 2 fans (plus ceiling fan)
Quote Reply
Re: 1 or 2 fans for pain cave [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Where do you live and what is house temp when you bike? I live in Texas and don’t want to pay bill to keep AC too low so, at its coldest, my pain cave is 72 degrees (summer mornings even when it’s dark in DFW area, it’s 75 outside) and thus, I really need 2 fans (plus ceiling fan)

Atlanta. So it can be hot. I tried two fans this morning. One is a vornado which is strong. The other I had around and is a Honeywell. Less powerful but can still feel it. I put them at 10 and 2. Even with the fans the room gets hot with door closed. I assume all the hot air coming out of me during workouts. We have dual zone a/c so I make upstairs colder where pain cave is. It was okay today. My previous home had a room over garage with its own a/c and I could crank that. I’ll try the two fans I have for now. I think it will work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Parkland wrote:

I think the TR talked about this on a podcast and it’s not necessary to work on it that far about from your race.

This is an older post but I swear they’ve discussed it more recently
http://blog.trainerroad.com/...ng-heat-acclimation/

I’ll check it out. I’ve lived in Georgia my entire life, even lived in Augusta for 3 years during my therapy program. I dread any endurance activity in the heat, however. I think I remember the old rule of thumb saying it takes your body 2-3 weeks to acclimate to heat. It’s all about humidity here in GA. That’s why I’m ditching the fan to simulate my sweat not being able to evaporate as effectively.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Answer is: more than 1!

I have 3. One is a ceiling fan, one is a tower fan near the corner of the room; it points at my back. I also have a large industrial fan in front of me that has an in-cage oscillation feature.

I'm also a crazy sweater. Despite all those fans, I can still leave pools of sweat under the bike. Frankly, it's pretty gross.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Last edited by: Tsunami: May 26, 18 15:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran one for years but this winter went to 2 which was nice improvement: A Lasko blower in front and a box fan aimed at my side and hips. Both are on a remote (get a remote, it is great). My basement is cool enough in the winter that the Lasko is uncomfortable at the start of a ride if I run it where I want it mid ride. I start rides with either both off or just the box fan on then when I get warmed up, I turn on the Lasko.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride in my garage in Texas. Have two of the laskos (1 behind me and 1 at 2oclock). My Garmin has read 90+ the last few days when i rode and I was uncomfortable

I’m debating buying a 3rd fan.

I just can’t ride my best when I’m this hot in the humid garage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought my 1st fan today. Ive been riding since day 1 without a fa and sweating my butt off. With my 1st trainer ride today with the fan, doing intervals, it didnt feel like I was really working.

Am I actually working just as hard with the fan? My garmin usually reads around 85 degrees in my pain cave which has no AC - and I live in the deep south.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 or 2 fans for pain cave [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
I bought my 1st fan today. Ive been riding since day 1 without a fa and sweating my butt off. With my 1st trainer ride today with the fan, doing intervals, it didnt feel like I was really working.

Am I actually working just as hard with the fan? My garmin usually reads around 85 degrees in my pain cave which has no AC - and I live in the deep south.

Actually what you’ve been doing is limiting yourself. Your zones are prob higher than would you were doing which was limited by heat. Now that you have a fan, do an ftp test and you will see. Then get a 2nd fan for the new zones :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's one way of looking at it, a cyclist may have a frontal area of 5 square feet. Then they travel through still air at 20 mph or 30 ft/s. That's the equivalent of displacing 150 cubic ft/s or 9000 cubic ft/min (CFM). That lasko blows a fraction of that and loses even more to air speed slowering down before hitting the cyclist and some air missing the cyclist.

Some people are more sensitive to air flow than others, but you can never have enough fans to match outdoor conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 or 2 fans for pain cave [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:
Here's one way of looking at it, a cyclist may have a frontal area of 5 square feet. Then they travel through still air at 20 mph or 30 ft/s. That's the equivalent of displacing 150 cubic ft/s or 9000 cubic ft/min (CFM). That lasko blows a fraction of that and loses even more to air speed slowering down before hitting the cyclist and some air missing the cyclist.

Some people are more sensitive to air flow than others, but you can never have enough fans to match outdoor conditions.

I have used my two fans now for a couple rides. I do have a ceiling fan in the room but I don’t feel that’s doing much for me. Today during my recovery intervals I took my towel and raised it above behind my head and neck and let the fans keep it up. It actually helped cooling me as it directed the air around the back of my head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man...I think I'm doing this wrong... I have a little clip on fan with 6 inch blades. No wonder I have riding on the trainer.
Last edited by: Gawaine79: May 29, 18 18:54
Quote Reply