Login required to post replies

13 year old wins 12hr Ultra Marathon with 76.2mi
Quote | Reply
Pretty impressive.

12hr Delerium Ultra in Beaufort, SC

Gavin Moore:

https://www.google.com/...and-run-and-run/amp/

https://my.raceresult.com/...lts?lang=en#0_437B7B

This kid is going places! How inspirational.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Nov 21, 20 18:10
Quote Reply
Re: 13 year old wins 12hr Ultra Marathon with 76.2mi [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only place a 13 year old is going doing events like that is to burnout
Quote Reply
Re: 13 year old wins 12hr Ultra Marathon with 76.2mi [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:

It does seem kind of nutzo. Maybe nutzo is the new norm.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: 13 year old wins 12hr Ultra Marathon with 76.2mi [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not his first Ultra!

https://www.eatstayplaybeaufort.com/12-year-old-gavin-moore-wins-50-mile-endurance-race-in-beaufort-sc/

https://lowcosports.com/2020/07/21/beauforts-gavin-moore-was-born-to-run-and-run-and-run/

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:

yeah.
why?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:

someone sounds jealous.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: 13 year old wins 12hr Ultra Marathon with 76.2mi [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:

someone sounds jealous.
Junior sports administrators all over the world put limits on what kids can do in competitive sport during their developmental years to protect themselves from their own and their parents stupidity. Sure some young kids can do amazing things but that doesn't necessarily mean that they should.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And fooked hip + knee joints by the time he's 30. And maybe 20.

It's no different to not taking my dawg on long long walks or runs until he's a year old and the joints are properly developed.
Quote Reply
Re: 13 year old wins 12hr Ultra Marathon with 76.2mi [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He looks tiny. Do you think that amount of weight moving at 8-9min/mile would do damage?
Quote Reply
Re: 13 year old wins 12hr Ultra Marathon with 76.2mi [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To each their own. 13 can be quite variable. I have one at 13 who has barely thought about puberty and my other had a beard at 13 and was 6'3"
Quote Reply
Re: 13 year old wins 12hr Ultra Marathon with 76.2mi [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love to see a pic of your bearded 6'3'' with his 7th grade class.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 13 year old wins 12hr Ultra Marathon with 76.2mi [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly a bit creepy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:

Why? Young people win medals at the Olympics in many sports. I swam almost every day for no less than an hour from age 5. It helped me greatly both mentally and physically. I watched others do that as well. Some burned out, some were rock stars and everything in between. Just like the rest of life. People burn out or succeed in all manners, sporting or otherwise.

The kid clearly has something amazing and who are we to judge his support system or him with what he is doing?
Quote Reply
Re: 13 year old wins 12hr Ultra Marathon with 76.2mi [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:

someone sounds jealous.

Junior sports administrators all over the world put limits on what kids can do in competitive sport during their developmental years to protect themselves from their own and their parents stupidity. Sure some young kids can do amazing things but that doesn't necessarily mean that they should.

Should you do Ultras? Should anyone do anything? A lot of people think we are reckless. I'm glad they don't bar me from doing stupid long events.
Quote Reply
Re: 13 year old wins 12hr Ultra Marathon with 76.2mi [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Couldn't help myself.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: spockwaslen: Nov 22, 20 8:56
Quote Reply
Re: 13 year old wins 12hr Ultra Marathon with 76.2mi [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:

Why? Young people win medals at the Olympics in many sports. I swam almost every day for no less than an hour from age 5. It helped me greatly both mentally and physically. I watched others do that as well. Some burned out, some were rock stars and everything in between. Just like the rest of life. People burn out or succeed in all manners, sporting or otherwise.

The kid clearly has something amazing and who are we to judge his support system or him with what he is doing?

Swimming isn't running. Decades ago the Australian government restricted the training time and travel to international swim meets for its elite junior swimmers because of overtraining and burnout at the hands of overzealous coaches..Ironman has age restrictions,cycling has gear ratio limits enforced,junior team sports have different rules than adults all designed to protect children.There is a massive difference between reasonable organized training and what can sometimes amount to physical abuse.

It is funny that people are happy to criticize the way the old Eastern Block countries mistreat their young swimmers,gymnasts,ballerinas,etc,etc but the narrative changes in the USA because of you know "Freedom"
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Nov 22, 20 12:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't give me shit about that "freedom" please. It isn't my country.
Quote Reply