Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
12s Etap with 10t cog coming soon?
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 12s Etap with 10t cog coming soon? [pad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing from other threads they are saying wait until I think Jan 2019 for Sram announcements... Does this mean I have to spend a few thousand $$$ on bikes again? Sigh... I guess try and look at any cycling websites covering Katusha and the remaining races of the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qq1xIVYZsg
Last edited by: Shambolic: Nov 4, 18 1:01
Quote Reply
Re: 12s Etap with 10t cog coming soon? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im hoping that prices will drop a bit on the current Etap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe on the 11 speed but can only see 12 speed going one way and drop doesn't feature...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a 2x12 with a new looking quarq. I can understand pictures even in Japanese ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I meant that i was hoping for a pricedrop on 11s. Im not so interested in 12s, especially if i then need to upgrade my wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems they are fitting the 12 on 11 speed wheels. I believe it is a 10 cog outside the freehub body but fits inside the frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do we need a 10t if SRAM is still missing a 18t in their setup.
Quote Reply
Re: 12s Etap with 10t cog coming soon? [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha you don't need it and maybe more a help on a road bike in the mountains where I wound run a smaller inner chainring and then can't run a 53 and have a better climbing ratios but still have your biggest gear. Agreed an 18 would be better for tri and maybe we will see it. A ten would be handy for the return at Kona in it's day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Livio Livius wrote:

It is easy to find or build a 18t gear setup by using Shimano cassettes. Works perfectly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty chainrings!

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think I'd ever run a 10t. I don't even like the 11t that much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Livio Livius wrote:

A 10 extends the gear range. 18t is....between 17 and 19.
Quote Reply
Re: 12s Etap with 10t cog coming soon? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
I don't think I'd ever run a 10t. I don't even like the 11t that much.

What's wrong with 10 or 11? Other than a bit of efficiency?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it have a clutch? I'd love a 1x12 Etap
Quote Reply
Re: 12s Etap with 10t cog coming soon? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If this is the big news that was posted the other day as a hint to wait until January, I have to say I am bit disappointed. I was hoping SRAM was coming out with the aero kit that did not require the blip box.
Quote Reply
Re: 12s Etap with 10t cog coming soon? [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
If this is the big news that was posted the other day as a hint to wait until January, I have to say I am bit disappointed. I was hoping SRAM was coming out with the aero kit that did not require the blip box.

This.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had eTap on a couple of different builds...I just don't see the huge drawback with the blip box...I have always been able to have it totally hidden from front view...If you use BTA hydration...and just try a little bit...it is not that hard to hide it. I like having it mounted to my stem...and have even used it to shift while climbing a few times...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I'm guessing from other threads they are saying wait until I think Jan 2019 for Sram announcements... Does this mean I have to spend a few thousand $$$ on bikes again? Sigh... I guess try and look at any cycling websites covering Katusha and the remaining races of the season.

Talked to a cat in the know...he said wait till 2019...March release...smaller units, quicker shifts...trying to minimize the issue v1 has/ had
Quote Reply
Re: 12s Etap with 10t cog coming soon? [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/251253-sram-red-etap-12-speed-coming-soon
Quote Reply
Re: 12s Etap with 10t cog coming soon? [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

Talked to a cat in the know...he said wait till 2019...March release...smaller units, quicker shifts...trying to minimize the issue v1 has/ had

Early March or late February sounds about right.

Original eTap was unveiled Aug 2015 with preorders at retail around Dec/Jan and availability at the end of Feb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blip box definitely needs to go. Some brake lever/shifter option that has the clever stuff hidden inside the base bar ends would be my choice.

Price coming down aggressively on the regular eTap in my location (UK), but not on the aero version. Not sure if much can be read from that though.
Quote Reply
Re: 12s Etap with 10t cog coming soon? [Shrike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone think that the FD might just be there for show? When they developed etap didn't they use some dummy wires to hide the wireless nature of the system?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pad wrote:
Dont know japanese but:

https://www.cyclowired.jp/news/node/281447

Two things.

1. Use either Google Chrome to translate or past the URL into translate.google.com
2. I'm focusing on the crank set.

Take a close look. Where are the chain ring bolts? How do you get that chain ring OVER the Quarq battery? My best guess is that the chain rings mount from the inside. That sounds like kind of a pain in the ass as you'll have to pull the crank any time you want to change rings. But I'm curious as to how and I'm kind of concerned that those rings are specific to that crank. i.e. normal 110 bcd chain rings won't work on that bike, you'll have to get the new SRAM rings specific to that crank.

I'd rather have an 11x28 set up like a Shimano with a 16 added in (11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19,21,23,25,28) or an 11x32 than the 10 tooth cog. I'm not sure what the 10t adds for a pro bike racer. I get what the article says, but what is the advantage of that over my version of the 11x28 on a mid compact or a standard crank?

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 12s Etap with 10t cog coming soon? [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
pad wrote:
Dont know japanese but:

https://www.cyclowired.jp/news/node/281447

Two things.

1. Use either Google Chrome to translate or past the URL into translate.google.com
2. I'm focusing on the crank set.

Take a close look. Where are the chain ring bolts? How do you get that chain ring OVER the Quarq battery? My best guess is that the chain rings mount from the inside. That sounds like kind of a pain in the ass as you'll have to pull the crank any time you want to change rings. But I'm curious as to how and I'm kind of concerned that those rings are specific to that crank. i.e. normal 110 bcd chain rings won't work on that bike, you'll have to get the new SRAM rings specific to that crank.

I'd rather have an 11x28 set up like a Shimano with a 16 added in (11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19,21,23,25,28) or an 11x32 than the 10 tooth cog. I'm not sure what the 10t adds for a pro bike racer. I get what the article says, but what is the advantage of that over my version of the 11x28 on a mid compact or a standard crank?

Re: The first bold text - The two chainrings are one piece, so don't need to bolt together

Re: the second bold text - Shhh! They don't want you saying those things out loud
Quote Reply

Prev Next