Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

12 speed AXS compatible road cassette
Quote | Reply
Hi all.

I'm currently looking for a electronic groupset as an upgrade on my S-Works Shiv TT (2013), to allow me a longer postion without exceeding the UCI regulation.
I do have a way to get Sram products a bit cheaper why Sram is preferred to Shimano - and to avoid the hassle with a Di2 setup on a frame not made for Di2.

Do you guys know of any alternative for a 12 speed road cassette that fits onto a HG freehub? Both my disc and my training wheels are incompatible with the XDr body, and I can't, and aren't willing to, buy new a new disc and training wheels.
I have spoken to Sunrace and they are not making one as of yet.

I have thought about Campy bodys and cassettes, but then the price will go way up again.

The closest I've come is the Rotor 11-36, which seems a bit crazy, and I will have to extend the derailleur hanger with a road link or something like it, to accommadate the cassette.

So I hope you might have some ideas for this!

And for the record is the 11speed etap not an option, as I'm going to avoid the old(discontinued) blipbox.

Thanks in advance!
Bisgaarden
Quote Reply
Re: 12 speed AXS compatible road cassette [Bisgaarden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy a used 11-speed eTap TT group?

Seems to be the easy button without making your life even more expensive by fixing problems you're creating...
Quote Reply
Re: 12 speed AXS compatible road cassette [RKW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I wrote, is the 11 speed not an option. The old blipbox seems to be having issues in the rain, and as I live in Denmark there is a very high probability I'll ride in rain.
I guess that's the reason it's discontinued as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess you could rebuild and re-lace the non-disk wheel with a new XDR-compatible, complete hub.

Not sure what you could do with the disk, I bet you are stuck. You might be careful with interference issues on a disk with a fancy "12 speeds on a HG" cassette. Someone else can confirm, but I thought these 12 work because they have a solid spider that allows the innermost cassette ring to overlay the internal side of the freehub. So with a disk you might bang your derailleur depending on width. Spoke wheels should have more clearance which is why you get away with it. None of this sounds worth it to me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm afraid you are looking for a solution that does not yet exist. I believe you would not have an issue clearing the 36-tooth cog on the Rotor cassette but their cassette is not compatible with the AXS flat top chain which you would need to use if you were going to use the AXS front chainrings. If you were going to use different chainrings and chain I think it would get to be too much of a frankenstein system and performance would suffer. No one else is making a 12-speed cassette yet. That will most likely change in the future but who knows when. As others have said, your best bet may be the 11-speed eTap. If you are concerned about water in the blip box you could wrap in in plastic to avoid water getting in.

Brian Jacobson
Fit2Ride Velo Studio
http://www.fit2ridevelo.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What wheels do you have? I've recently changed all our wheels to XDR and several of these where listed as non XDR compatible or at least the info' not readily available. Bit of detective work and some imagination and we're now fully XDR compatible.
Quote Reply
Re: 12 speed AXS compatible road cassette [BrianJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianJ wrote:
I'm afraid you are looking for a solution that does not yet exist. I believe you would not have an issue clearing the 36-tooth cog on the Rotor cassette but their cassette is not compatible with the AXS flat top chain which you would need to use if you were going to use the AXS front chainrings. If you were going to use different chainrings and chain I think it would get to be too much of a frankenstein system and performance would suffer. No one else is making a 12-speed cassette yet. That will most likely change in the future but who knows when.

Yea, I'm a little surprised that nobody (Sunlite, Miche, etc) has brought an HG compatible AXS 12 speed road cassette to market yet. I wonder if its just lack of perceived demand, or if there's some sort of patent issue.

The biggest compatibility issue with AXS is that the flat top chain must be used with a road AXS rear derailleur, and vice versa. It has to do with the tooth profiles on the upper jockey wheel being shaped specifically for the flat part of the flat top chain. The flat top chain also uses incrementally larger rollers, and, therefore, the specific cassettes and chain rings are optimized for that. That said, it's close enough to the conventional roller diameter (+0.15mm) that SRAM itself endorses a "Mullet" configuration of an AXS 1x road front chain ring with an Eagle 12 speed chain, rear derailleur, and cassette. If the roller sizes are close enough to use a conventional MTB 12 speed chain on a road chain ring, one might surmise that it would work the other way at the other end, too (AXS road chain works with "conventional" 12 speed cassette).

While the spacing isn't exactly the same, people have reported its close enough that they've been able to successfully use 12 speed SRAM AXS road cassettes with Campy 12 speed derailleurs & chains. If that's so, I can't imagine why it wouldn't work the other way.

OP, Campy freehubs generally aren't that expensive, and Chorus 12 speed cassettes are in the same price ballpark as Force AXS cassettes. I can see not wanting to replace two rear wheels, but balking at +/- $150 for a couple freehubs? If you're not willing to spend that, seems like you really don't want to go AXS all that bad.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Feb 13, 20 9:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to upgrade to AXS, but I'm put off by the (to me) unnecessary 10-tooth sprocket being the bonus one and the large jumps down in the climbing gears. I currently run 39x27 as my lowest gear, so 37/50 upfront and 26 or 28 largest sprocket at the back would be great, but SRAM makes me have a big gear I don't need and a 3 or 4 tooth gap at the bottom in that scenario.

However, if I could have an 11-up, I could run 11-12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25-27.

Frankly, 50x12 would be amply big enough for me on the road bike. In that case I could run 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25-27-29 which would be even better.

I guess the problem for me is that SRAM are solving for how many 1-tooth jumps there are and what the total range is, whereas I want smaller relative shifts across the limited range I know I use in the place where I happen to live. But I can't be alone, and not providing the cassette flexibility is preventing me buying the whole groupset!
Quote Reply
Re: 12 speed AXS compatible road cassette [tonto1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Tonto1,

Any chance you have been able to figure out which freehub body works for a 2017 Wahoo Kickr? They only make the XDR hub for the 18 and newer models. I am sure that there is a freehub body out there that would work, I just need to find it!

tonto1 wrote:
What wheels do you have? I've recently changed all our wheels to XDR and several of these where listed as non XDR compatible or at least the info' not readily available. Bit of detective work and some imagination and we're now fully XDR compatible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bisgaarden wrote:
Hi all.

I'm currently looking for a electronic groupset as an upgrade on my S-Works Shiv TT (2013), to allow me a longer postion without exceeding the UCI regulation.
I do have a way to get Sram products a bit cheaper why Sram is preferred to Shimano - and to avoid the hassle with a Di2 setup on a frame not made for Di2.

Do you guys know of any alternative for a 12 speed road cassette that fits onto a HG freehub? Both my disc and my training wheels are incompatible with the XDr body, and I can't, and aren't willing to, buy new a new disc and training wheels.
I have spoken to Sunrace and they are not making one as of yet.

I have thought about Campy bodys and cassettes, but then the price will go way up again.

The closest I've come is the Rotor 11-36, which seems a bit crazy, and I will have to extend the derailleur hanger with a road link or something like it, to accommadate the cassette.

So I hope you might have some ideas for this!

And for the record is the 11speed etap not an option, as I'm going to avoid the old(discontinued) blipbox.

Thanks in advance!
Bisgaarden

Other than the super expensive Rotor Cassette I found the inexpensive 12 speed ZTTO road cassettes in 11-32 and 11-34 as an alternative ->

https://es.aliexpress.com/...wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Cheers!
Quote Reply