Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

12 hour bike race. Tri bike or road bike?
Quote | Reply
I am planning on doing a 12 hour bike race next month. It is draft legal, but there won't be many crazy people like me signed up, so I doubt I will be able to draft most of the time.

I just don't know whether to use my trusty P3 or my Trek road bike. I don't know that I could handle 12 hours on the P3, but that bike is way faster when alone on the flats.

What is a crazy guy to do?
Quote Reply
Re: 12 hour bike race. Tri bike or road bike? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
draft legal = road bike

Check with the organizers, but they quite likely may not even allow a tri bike in a draft legal race. I wouldn't want to be near one if drafting in the group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Art, Tell us more. Where is the race? What kind of course? When is it? Are you in shape for 12 hours on a bike at this time of year? Details, man, give me some details.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it were me, I'd take my tri bike, but I would alter the setup. Raise the bars 2 cm, shorten the stem 2 cm and move the seat back 1-2 cm. This would put a little less weight on the arms, but still allow me to comfortably "lay down" and relax and cruise. You see a lot of RAAM riders like that. In fact, you see Jurgen Zack and Scott Molina like that. Their bad backs prevent them from getting too low and from putting too much weight on the arms, so the "in between" position is a great compromise.

The above post about tri bikes and drafting makes a good point, but if you get in a nice drafting situation, just ride the base bars like they're brake hoods. With the seat a little back and the bars raised a little, that will be a nice, safe and comfortable position.

Of course, either bike can be set up like this, but I'm guessing you'd rather ride the trusty P3...?

Sounds like a fantastic event!
Quote Reply
Re: 12 hour bike race. Tri bike or road bike? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race is in Sebring, Florida at the end of February. There is also a 24 hour RAAM qualifier at the same time. I am guessing the course is pretty flat, but I have never ridden it. Believe it or not there are a few hills in Central Florida.

I am in really good shape for a six hour bike ride assuing the weather is cool. I have no clue if I am in shape for 12 hours or if I will be able to handle heat I have never been in the saddle that long. Time to find out.

Looks like fun, so I will probably give it a shot. Too bad it conflicts with the Escape to Alcatraz triathlon in Clermont. That sounds like a fun race too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The race is in Sebring, Florida "

Not the famous sports car course by chance. The Sebring 12 hrs was once the most important sports car race except for LeMans - Ford GT40's, Cobra's, Chapparals, Ferrari's, Porches, etc, etc.

It would be great to bike that famous sports car course. But I guess you guys will be a bit slower!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW -- ride the disc.
Quote Reply
Re: 12 hour bike race. Tri bike or road bike? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not really sure, but I think the race starts on the track. I am looking forward to it.
Quote Reply
Re: 12 hour bike race. Tri bike or road bike? [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since this is a flat course, I was planning on using that Renn disc you where going to send me when you lost the bet. That was 1.5 years ago though. I haven't gotten the airbill number yet, so I am thinking of sticking with my Zipp.
Quote Reply
Re: 12 hour bike race. Tri bike or road bike? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
then it was probably the MOST famous 12h car race as Le Mans is a 24h race :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 12 hour bike race. Tri bike or road bike? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"then it was probably the MOST famous 12h car race as Le Mans is a 24h race :-)"

Well aware of that. The only other 24 hr sports car race is the 24 hrs of Daytona which I went to as a spectator a couple of times back in the 70's. At that time I was involved in sports car racing.

I've sort of done everything in reverse order. First I raced sports/formula cars in my 20's, then go-carts in my 30/40's and now that I'm just over 50, I'm into bikes. Usually it's a progression thru childhood to adulthood the other way around.

My best friend and ex auto racing partner from our 20's just phoned me today to tell me about his new ERA 427 Cobra 1965 replica he's just purchased. I would have liked to talk about my new Dura Ace upgrade on my TCR, but didn't mention it since I don't think he would be interested!
Quote Reply