Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

12-week bike block in the cards? How to execute one properly?
Quote | Reply
Short story:

Swimming is not going to happen. Should I do a 12-week bike focus block targeting a 40k TT? How to execute it? Should I keep running on easier days?

Long story:

My planned 70.3 A-race is 12 weeks from now. I was holding out hope for pools to reopen, and while they do open nation-wide on Monday, my local facility has decided to keep its doors closed for another 6 weeks. Weather forecasts are grim so OWS is not going to happen either. And I'm not going to prepare for a 70.3 with 6 weeks of swim.

Somewhat conveniently, the national ITT champs were moved to the same day as my 70.3. So I'm thinking of targeting that instead. My FTP has been stuck in the 300-320W (4.2-4.5W/kg) region for a couple of years and maybe this would help to break through.

I did a run-focused block during the 100-in-a-100 challenge, peaking with 3 10h/130km weeks, all easy. I've since tuned that down and brought up cycling volume and am currently putting in ~5+15h run+bike weeks, with 1 THR session in the run and 2 SS/THR sessions on the bike, everything else near or below AeT.

So, how would I go about maximizing bike gains in a 12-week block? I'm guessing I should, at minimum, move all my intense sessions to the bike. And do them as SS/THR, extending some and intensifying the others. Maybe do a week here and another there where I concentrate on VO2max efforts. Should I completely drop running and not pick up swimming when opportunity presents itself? Or could I run and/or swim on easy days? Should I prefix my easy rides with easy runs and do them as 1 session?
Quote Reply
Re: 12-week bike block in the cards? How to execute one properly? [snny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not going to comment on going faster on the bike; all my best races came off of huge volume with no speed at all. Not saying that was optimum, but that was what I was doing.
I will strongly recommend against dropping the run. Even if you just go out and do 15-30 easy minutes it will maintain some bone mass and keep everything nice and elastic. Anytime I went back to running from cycling only, it was very painful. Running to cycling was only a matter of getting my backside used to the saddle. In fact, when I was coaching high school running in my mid-40s I did not do any cycling for a few years and then one day broke my toe. After three or four stir-crazy days, I had the urge to do an ftp test. I was pretty surprised that I hit within 20 or so watts of my previous ftp not having touched my tri bike in years. I was pretty fit (like I ran a 10 flat 3200 and 4:37 1600 in that time frame) but like I said, no cycling at all. Keep a bit of running in there and you won't regret it.
Quote Reply
Re: 12-week bike block in the cards? How to execute one properly? [snny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing this right now, started when quarantine first hit. I'm following the TrainerRoad Sweet Spot Base High Volume plans, which has been an excellent change from the polarized training I had been doing for a couple of years. Then running 30mpw BarryP style (down from 40-50mpw normally).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This seems like a super simple question, but i think it's more complicated that you think.

IMO, i'd want to know what has your cycling looked like of the past few years that your FTP has been stuck? What kind of volume of that time and intensity?

Also, i'd want to know what your real limiters are. Do you lack the raw power to push it higher or do you lack the specific endurance to hold higher power for long.

I think any answer you get that doesn't dive into what you've done, where you are, and what your current limiters may be, will be an opinion rather than an answer that could really benefit you.

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: 12-week bike block in the cards? How to execute one properly? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your insight. Whatever I'll end up doing, I'll keep at least some running going on.

While I haven't taken such long breaks as you from cycling, I've also noticed that running during the winter months maintains my cycling ability quite well and it recovers quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: 12-week bike block in the cards? How to execute one properly? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been running BarryP style as well, doing one of the medium runs as a workout and doing strides in two of the short ones. I'm guessing you are taking it all easy?

I'm not sure what that TR plan looks like, but aren't they generally some very intense days intermixed with complete rest? And you are spicing that up with running on your rest days?
Quote Reply
Re: 12-week bike block in the cards? How to execute one properly? [MergeMultisport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's what my cycling has looked like since 2017. I included the volume, its distribution and peak 5/20 min power as that is what I somewhat consistently have. I guess I could dig out more specific metrics.

Last year I was forced to be kind of cycling-focused from April to August as well, racing short (15-20k) TTs, with nats at the end of June. It changed (improved?) how I generate the power (more glutes, pedalling more smoothly and applying power more evenly), but didn't push it up.

Also, my short duration power is non-existent, I'm not sure what it tells I'm lacking - strength?:)

I'm not even certain that a bike focus is what I need:D But this is the first thing that popped in my mind, as the coming 3-4 months are the only time one can comfily cycle outside here. Maybe I'm better off doing both running and cycling through the summer, throwing in some OWS when possible. My long term goal is to qualify for and perform well at 2022 70.3 WC, should it take place. As an AOS, swimming is my weakness and I plan on fixing that in the winters of 2020 and 2021. But I think I can benefit from doing something now as well...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
snny wrote:
How to execute it? Should I keep running on easier days?

Step 1: Start doing more biking March 1st

Step 2: Profit

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply