Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

10sp Quarq on 11sp sram groupo
Quote | Reply
Is this possible? I accidentally bought a 10sp quarq and am running 11sp force. Before I resell, I just wanted to see if I can run Sram Force 11sp with a quarq 10sp front chain rings?
Quote Reply
Re: 10sp Quarq on 11sp sram groupo [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah - you’ll be fine. Alternatively you could buy some 11 speed rings and install them.

I have a 10 speed Quarq with 11 speed Di2. I installed 11 speed Praxis rings just because, and it works great. It worked great with the original 10 speed rings too.
Last edited by: blueapplepaste: Jun 7, 18 8:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think there is compatibility issue with the 10 speed chainrings and an 11 speed chain. But if you want the manufacture's opinion they will likely tell you to upgrade the chainrings from 10 to 11 speed ones. There should not be an issue to upgrade your 10 speed chainrings to 11 speed ones.

No need to get a new powermeter unless you want a new one.

More explaination here:

http://www.velonews.com/...compatibility_307163

http://www.velonews.com/...ries-answered_392163

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmd111183 wrote:
Is this possible? I accidentally bought a 10sp quarq and am running 11sp force. Before I resell, I just wanted to see if I can run Sram Force 11sp with a quarq 10sp front chain rings?

It's not ideal for shifting because of the differential between the chain interlink-width and the chainring tooth-width. 11spd chains are narrower than 10spd. So it's *possible* that the chain won't properly disengage when shifting - especially from big-ring to small-ring. 11-spd drivetrain with 10-spd front chainrings is a bigger (potential) issue than the inverse - running a 10spd drivetrain with 11spd chainrings because in that case, the chain is wider than it needs to be as opposed to being narrower than what your front rings "expect."

We're talking about extremely small differences here, so you'll get plenty of the, "oh, it works fine..." And it may. I'm just explaining why SRAM would not consider it advisable. You do NOT need a new powermeter. Bolt circle diameter (BCD) has been pretty constant for SRAM at 110mm for compact and 130mm for standard rings for some time now. Campy (IIRC) used to be the outlier at 135mm (but not sure if that's still the case; and I think they adopted 110mm for compact to fall in line with everyone else), but now you've got Shimano with it's 4-bolt pattern so there's less consistency across the big three than there used to be.

Anyway, that's the technical answer. You should update your front rings to 11spd because it was designed as a complete system with regards to chain width.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted about this the other day...except I'm on Ultegra R8000 and using a Quarq Dzero with SRAM 10 speed rings. It shifts perfectly, but after a week or so, the chain gets noisy. This is with the original Ultegra chain that came on the bike, and now an 11 speed KMC chain. The chain is not worn (checked with a chain checker) and adequately lubed. Probably going to switch to Praxis rings.
Quote Reply
Re: 10sp Quarq on 11sp sram groupo [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So under the assumption that I *should* change the chain rings (I have an 80mi ride I want power data on so going to ride with them 10sp this weekend I guess and hope for the best), which chain rings should I be looking at? Is Praxis the best (quality/value) option out there? Or should I get SRAM rings?
Quote Reply
Re: 10sp Quarq on 11sp sram groupo [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was under the impression that the inner width dimension of the chain for both 11 and 10 speed was the same and the outer dimension was where the difference is found.

The pin width of an 11 speed chain is 5.62 mm vs 5.88 mm for a 10 speed chain.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: 10sp Quarq on 11sp sram groupo [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
We're talking about extremely small differences here, so you'll get plenty of the, "oh, it works fine..." And it may.

Worked fine for me. Except for one situation: when in the big ring and either of 2 biggest cogs in the back, the chain would often come off the big ring. Not a huge deal because I didn't normally want to do that anyway. But sometimes in a race, you don't want to go to the small ring.

I lived with this for a couple years, then put 11sp chainrings on and it was solved. You can almost always find chainrings on sale or eBay so I was kind of annoyed that I didn't do it sooner.
Quote Reply