Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

10 speed to 11 speed conversion question
Quote | Reply
I'm working up upgrading my bike to an 11 speed. I had to replace the rear shifter a while back and went with a plain friction one instead of index. If I get an 11 speed cassette put on, will that friction shifter and 10 speed derailleur be able to do 11 speeds? Or is the distance farther than the derailleur can go? (2006 Dura Ace model).

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: 10 speed to 11 speed conversion question [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it will work fine. The total distance is still the same, just smaller increments between gears.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 speed to 11 speed conversion question [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kscycler wrote:
The total distance is still the same, just smaller increments between gears.
What?

If it was just smaller increments between gears, with the same overall cassette stack height, there would have been no need for an 11 speed freehub body.

There is a 1.8mm or 2.8mm difference (depending on whether you count the spacer commonly used with 10sp setups) between a 10 speed and 11 speed cassette.
Last edited by: rijndael: Nov 2, 15 11:37
Quote Reply
Re: 10 speed to 11 speed conversion question [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm... I wonder if the the old derailleur will cover that extra distance if the limit screws are let all the way out. Maybe the only way to see is to put an 11 speed wheel on it and test?

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW: 10 speed SRAM RDs works just fine with 11 speed SRAM shifters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It should work fine as long as you increase the travel limits on the rear derailleur to the proper width. I would definitely replace the chain, but the regular 10spd front derailleur has worked fine so far on mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend runs a very similar setup and goes from 9 to 11 with no hassles. I would be surprised if it didn't work.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 speed to 11 speed conversion question [Chris10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update - It worked just fine! I didn't see it because it was so tiny, but my wheel was already 11-speed compatible and had a spacer on it. Guys at the shop popped the old cassette off, put on the new one and chain, adjusted the derailleur limit, and it shifted great. Now running an 11-28 and happy as a turd in a toilet bowl. Thanks, gang!

Quote Reply