Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
10K Race: Froome-Contador-Schleck-Lance-Wiggins-Pantani-Riis-Indurain-Lemond-Hinault
Quote | Reply
Assuming everyone at their peak fitness one week after their Tour De France finishes, accepting they used whatever was available in their time, who wins a straight up running 10,000m at the track.
Quote Reply
Re: 10K Race: Froome-Contador-Schleck-Lance-Wiggins-Pantani-Riis-Indurain-Lemond-Hinault [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lance.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: 10K Race: Froome-Contador-Schleck-Lance-Wiggins-Pantani-Riis-Indurain-Lemond-Hinault [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lance, no contest. Did anyone else on that list even run with any sort of seriousness?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lance, I believe he is the only one with a running background prior to cycling (he was a triathlete right?)

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This feels so obviously like Lance (who won pro tris as a teenager then was near the front of HIMs after cycling) that it must be a trick question and we're going to find out Bernard Hinault missed out on the 72 games because he twisted an ankle at the French track qualifiers or something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Froome is Kenyan AND has his own Running Club

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pantani did duathlons, so Lance would have a little competition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Assuming everyone at their peak fitness one week after their Tour De France finishes, accepting they used whatever was available in their time, who wins a straight up running 10,000m at the track.
Indurain, because he was a runner before he was a cyclist
Quote Reply
Re: 10K Race: Froome-Contador-Schleck-Lance-Wiggins-Pantani-Riis-Indurain-Lemond-Hinault [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought we may get some takers from Contador by now!!! Would love to see the jockeying for position on the bell lap between these guys! Imagine Lance vs Contador in the final 100m sprint....no love there.
Quote Reply
Re: 10K Race: Froome-Contador-Schleck-Lance-Wiggins-Pantani-Riis-Indurain-Lemond-Hinault [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I read his biography this summer and Mig was solely racing bikes by his early teens and winning championships at 18 or something. I think it said he ran in school but nothing compared to Lance's level in pro tri.

I would like to take the long odds on Pantani given the power:weight advantage and his slight build but I think he had a couple horror story accidents that probably messed up his biomechanics. I have it as:

Lance: 3/2
Contador, Pantani: 6/1 (out of the saddle climbers)
Lemond, Hinault: 8/1 (lighter TT riders)
Big Mig, Riis: 12/1 (bigger guys but seem very smooth)
Schleck, Wiggins, Froome: 20/1 (ungainly, awkward looking dudes-can't see them running fast)

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Woods (Canadian too)
Quote Reply
Re: 10K Race: Froome-Contador-Schleck-Lance-Wiggins-Pantani-Riis-Indurain-Lemond-Hinault [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:
NAB777 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I read his biography this summer and Mig was solely racing bikes by his early teens

Navarran 400m champion, became solely a cyclist at 16.
With 400m speed, and a better endurance athlete than sprinter, I'd like his chances.
Quote Reply
Re: 10K Race: Froome-Contador-Schleck-Lance-Wiggins-Pantani-Riis-Indurain-Lemond-Hinault [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:
NAB777 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I read his biography this summer and Mig was solely racing bikes by his early teens and winning championships at 18 or something. I think it said he ran in school but nothing compared to Lance's level in pro tri.

I would like to take the long odds on Pantani given the power:weight advantage and his slight build but I think he had a couple horror story accidents that probably messed up his biomechanics. I have it as:

Lance: 3/2
Contador, Pantani: 6/1 (out of the saddle climbers)
Lemond, Hinault: 8/1 (lighter TT riders)
Big Mig, Riis: 12/1 (bigger guys but seem very smooth)
Schleck, Wiggins, Froome: 20/1 (ungainly, awkward looking dudes-can't see them running fast)

Agree on the list.

Fun fact
Riis tried a sprint tri back in the 90's, and he didn't like biking after swimming.
His son Jesper Riis is a pro triathle now...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think with his 400m biomechanics and his 90's FTP he could give lightweight Lance a good run, but sis he become too Big a Mig after age 16. The way Contador rides out of the saddle he kind of shows some of the biomechanics of a pure runner (I cannot point to what it is,but after all these years of tri I can literally pick out who will run fast by the climbing style out of the saddle....they just have that perfect weight transfer with toes pointed slightly down). I don't have science behind it. I think Wiggo and Froome would be dusted but not so sure about Andy Schleck. I think Hinault finishes last place in this group. Lemond behind Lance Contador and Pantani, alongside Schleck , ahead of Froome , Wiggo, Indurain, Riis and Hinault
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Putting Riis there is almost an insult! I´d rather not see him run, not back then, not now :D

LA talks about giving up running all together, due to many years of injuries, in his latest THE FORWARD podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Freddy Ovett if he's allowed into the discussion </pink>
Last edited by: Ian A: Nov 12, 20 5:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In bike shoes with cleats? Froome all day, every day.

Cheers, Rich.

Quote Reply
Re: 10K Race: Froome-Contador-Schleck-Lance-Wiggins-Pantani-Riis-Indurain-Lemond-Hinault [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
In bike shoes with cleats? Froome all day, every day.

Cheers, Rich.

One of the guys who went road racing from being a cyclocross pro would have shouldered that bike and still been within the letter of the rules.

Pshhh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hinault would win, easily. Purely on strength of will and an incredible aerobic engine. Not even LA can compete with Hinault on willpower.

He would then complain about how the race was inhumane and vow to never run again.
Quote Reply
Re: 10K Race: Froome-Contador-Schleck-Lance-Wiggins-Pantani-Riis-Indurain-Lemond-Hinault [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently Hinault was tenth at the French junior cross-country championships in 1971, so you might be right. I've only scanned wikipedia entries, but he's the only one beyond Lance I can see who did anything in running past age 13 or so.
Quote Reply
Re: 10K Race: Froome-Contador-Schleck-Lance-Wiggins-Pantani-Riis-Indurain-Lemond-Hinault [Geronimo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Incredible info. Hinault is a force of nature.
Quote Reply
Re: 10K Race: Froome-Contador-Schleck-Lance-Wiggins-Pantani-Riis-Indurain-Lemond-Hinault [Geronimo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny how close you were, if he did win the 71 junior champs

With everyone being hyper competitive aerobic beasts its easy to imagine them all running amazingly

100rpm cadence is closest to 10k cadence so I could see a Pantani, lance, contador, froome pack... And normally I wouldnt bet against Tim Kerrison but running is in Lances dna. Froome unleashes an alien stridelength and turnover to out sprint the others for second
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently (something he said), Hinault has a PB on 10k at 31' something. That would put him pretty high on that list...
Quote Reply
Re: 10K Race: Froome-Contador-Schleck-Lance-Wiggins-Pantani-Riis-Indurain-Lemond-Hinault [Bib02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hainault easily, not sure why Lance is so highly rated. He took his marathons seriously and ended up slower than Emma Pooley (an interestingly mediocre runner until she was a full time athlete). He would still be second as the rest don't run.
Mig as a 400m man would have a kick but possibly has no endurance when it is not transfused.
No idea what riding out of the saddle has to do with anything, I am an exrunner, never do this and would beat them all at 10k.
Mind you I am a crap cyclist.
Quote Reply
Re: 10K Race: Froome-Contador-Schleck-Lance-Wiggins-Pantani-Riis-Indurain-Lemond-Hinault [iffyTrotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iffyTrotter wrote:
Hainault easily, not sure why Lance is so highly rated. He took his marathons seriously and ended up slower than Emma Pooley (an interestingly mediocre runner until she was a full time athlete). He would still be second as the rest don't run.
Mig as a 400m man would have a kick but possibly has no endurance when it is not transfused.
No idea what riding out of the saddle has to do with anything, I am an exrunner, never do this and would beat them all at 10k.
Mind you I am a crap cyclist.

Lance did not do his marathons with the same body composition as a 39 minutes Alpe d'Huez climb so you're comparing the wrong version of him to the question on this thread, which was if we put the top guys in a 10km a week after the Tour de France (when they were in their peak cycling shape), who amongst them wins? Lance was already winning high school XC running races and winning races against pro triathletes as a teenager, so he could probably access some of that running capability if you forced him to run a 10,000m the week after a TdF victory.

The Emma Pooley comparison is kind of irrelevant (not sure why Emma got dragged into this). I believe she ran a 2:44. There are plenty of pro triathletes who have run faster in an Ironman, so the world's top cyclists if they were to do a 10km with their body composition from tour de France winning shape should be able to beat her easily on 10km (I see some results around 18.xx for her for 5km...should be easily doable to beat her projected 10km time).

By the way, I think Emma is an amazing athlete. I was surprised we had no thread about her Everesting record!
Quote Reply

Prev Next